Paul & Richard bring you today's test ride report...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Paul & Richard bring you today's test ride report...

Postby Gromit » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Feeling that we should continue to provide a quality service, Paul & I decided we should, at least for today, branch out into field of road-testing. So - what better bike to take out than a Guzzi Griso? Of course, I felt it would be wise to also experience a Breva 1100 as having owned 2 R1100R's in the past, it would be interesting to feel what Mandello's version of that bike would ride like.

We rode from Colliers Wood out to Box Hill for a coffee and to compare notes, then swapped bikes for the return journey.

I immediately felt at home on the Breva (my first mount) as it did indeed feel very much like the BM Roadsters (1100 & 1150) with a relaxed riding position and extremely comfy seat. The new motor spins up very easily and has little in the way of vibration - only when on full throttle does its presence make itself felt, and then only really above 5000rpm. It's geared taller than the Griso, courtesy of a longer final drive ratio meaning it is very relaxed at 90mph in top. Only downside to the demo bike was that it had the factory screen fitted - like all these things it's noisy, and causes dreadful buffeting above 70mph. I'd either remove it or cut 3 or 4 inches off the top to hopefully lessen this problem. The Breva's a lot of fun - it's the sort of bike you can just jump on and feel happy throwing it around within a mile or 2 - but it has a great deal of Guzzi character too. Nice bike in my opinion.

So to the prettier one...

Corsa's Griso has only covered itro 150 miles so obviously wasn't going to be given full rein in the engine dept. However, despite sharing the same motor as the Breva, the bike's feel is very different. It steers even quicker and owing to its lower final drive, feels a mite more spritely through the gears. The suspension is much firmer, but unlike a Speed Triple which tends to kick around and sometimes bounce the rider out of the seat over bumps, the Griso feels that much more supple. Still firm, yes, but definitely more controlled. The OEM tyres for the Griso are Metzeler Rennsports - hardly what I'd call suitable as they're full-on v fast road/track tyres but these did feel good and secure despite the very low air temp. Personally I'd change them once worn for something a little less radical though. The demo bike had Corsa's own titanium exhaust can fitted which did sound wonderful - and added even more colour to the bike's character. Again, a really fun bike to ride - and one that's just stunningly beautiful to boot.

I'd certainly buy the Breva - a red one though as the grey looks awful. Folk who know me are all-too aware of my soft spot for BMW's Roadsters, and the Breva does feel like an Italian incarnation of those bikes. For me, that would be more than reason enough. The Griso? It's something to take out on sunny days and a superb second bike when there's something less precious in the garage. It looks fabulous from absolutely any angle and posesses a quality of finish I've never seen on a Guzzi ever before. A bike to cherish definitely and one which would make its owner very proud.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 pm

Good write up and great pics guys. The Griso looks soooooooooperb in Red.

Toodle Pip
:wav:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:18 pm

theseadog wrote:The Griso looks soooooooooperb in Red.

Toodle Pip
:wav:

Doesn't it just? I tried under-exposing the front end shot of the Griso to try & bring out the colour a bit more - it still isn't perfect as red's a bugger to photograph properly.

Oh..forgot to mention - the only downside for me with the Griso is that if you have long legs (like me) the plastic cowling above the cylinder heads digs into your knees. :(

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:05 pm

Yummy,how does the finish look Richard??....looks good in the pics,but all the Guzzis I've ever seen look terrible after a few thousand miles.
You can deffo see the Aprilia influence,but they are still way to much money for an air cooled twin.
The Brevia looks more pratical although i do like the look of the Griso.
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:41 pm

Bailey - the Breva we had out today is Corsa's demo/hack/loan bike and has covered around 9500 miles. Paul (bloke who runs C/Italiana) picked the bike up from the factory last year and spent a while riding it around Europe before bringing it home. It's been well used over the winter and doesn't look like it's been cleaned much. However, the only blots on it are some discolouring on the downpipes and some rust on the pannier brackets which bolt to the rear pegs. Eveywhere else, the bike looks well sound. The motor loves to rev too.

I enjoyed both of them immensely - the last Guzzi I rode was a V11 Sport back in 1999 when I had my 1100R. I hated it - it was slow, vibrated like a jackhammer and gave me no confidence at all. These 2 are without doubt a different breed.

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:39 am

...what's that black thing (mounted on the red Guzzi) beneath the right cylinder ?
...an oilcooler ?
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:11 pm

RoLoo wrote:...what's that black thing (mounted on the red Guzzi) beneath the right cylinder ?
...an oilcooler ?

Indeed it is. :)

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:07 pm

RoLoo wrote:...what's that black thing (mounted on the red Guzzi) beneath the right cylinder ?
...an oilcooler ?

It's a small fridge for keeping Italian beers in :lol:
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:00 pm

why no pictures from the ugly silencer side :wink:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:23 pm

boxerpan wrote:why no pictures from the ugly silencer side :wink:

It didn't have the fugly pipe fitted - instead it had a tastily fruity titanium race can. Sounded rather spiffing too. :)

Return to “Boxerbanter”