Chicken Strips

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

decisivedave

Chicken Strips

Postby decisivedave » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:20 am

I'm running on OE Metzlers, and even tho' I'm roundabout surfing now the roads are drier, I can't get rid of my chicken strips - What touches first hero blob, engine or edge of tyre? :shock:

Oh and if I'm right in thinking that the indicators self cancel, can that be stopped/overridden - I'm only half way round my local roundabout before they go out, and then the braindead 4 wheel massive keep pulling out on me :twisted:

gus

Postby gus » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:32 am

Hello
You will if your not careful.The roads maybe drier but its cold and the roads will be dirty from salt.Maybe wait a bit longer before any heroics.
Depends what size tyre you got on the back and what suspension setup.I found that the pegs touched first followed by the rear brake lever and heads.
gus

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:39 am

gus wrote:Hello
You will if your not careful.The roads maybe drier but its cold and the roads will be dirty from salt.Maybe wait a bit longer before any heroics.
Depends what size tyre you got on the back and what suspension setup.I found that the pegs touched first followed by the rear brake lever and heads.
gus

In my case, I get the feeling that the sequence extends to:

Pegs - Rear brake lever - cyl heads - elbow,shoulder and head in quick succession. OUCH! :(

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

winger

Postby winger » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:11 pm

You need to raise the rear of the bike up,it'll turn quicker and there certainly won't be anything touching the floor,but doing it at this time year!!

Jason M

Re: Chicken Strips

Postby Jason M » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:44 pm

decisivedave wrote:I'm running on OE Metzlers, and even tho' I'm roundabout surfing now the roads are drier, I can't get rid of my chicken strips - What touches first hero blob, engine or edge of tyre? :shock:

Oh and if I'm right in thinking that the indicators self cancel, can that be stopped/overridden - I'm only half way round my local roundabout before they go out, and then the braindead 4 wheel massive keep pulling out on me :twisted:

Where abouts in Hants are you then Dave? I'm up Nr Southampton meself. As for the strips - I reckon it depends on the current profile of the front tyre too - if it's worn I have trouble getting the strips to go but if it's new then no problemo - there are a few big long bends round here to make sure the tyres are warm first too - the roads are still covered with s*it and salt dust, especially at the edges

Take care :shock:

Jason

decisivedave

Re: Chicken Strips

Postby decisivedave » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:24 pm

Jason M wrote:Where abouts in Hants are you then Dave? As for the strips - I reckon it depends on the current profile of the front tyre too - - the roads are still covered with s*it and salt dust, especially at the edges

Jason

Live near Horndean, work in Portsmouth - Tyre (5") is pretty square from A3M daily grind, so maybe when I treat myself to new tyre I'll get nearer the edge. As for s**t and salt, I use bike everyday, (only leave it in garage if forecast is for proper snow and maybe black ice) so the S has same grey hue as road! (In fact just going out now to hose it down) :cry:

Cheers, Dave

twodear

Postby twodear » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:12 am

The back of the bike is jacked up and the preload wound tight So in order; edge of tyre, knee scraper, head (or if I'm lazy and don't lean off far enough; edge of tyre and then head at which point the bike becomes a tripod and starts spearing off the track).

I've only once felt the hero knob touch down and that was before I shortened the paralever link.
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:24 am

I can't get rid of my chicken strips

You could always use sandpaper...

I wear mine with pride as I havn't used the bike in anger since the new rear was put on... they'll be there for a while longer...

do a trackday, the bits of chewed up rubber and blueing give parking bay cred to any bike.:wink:

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:55 am

Ah! Roundabouts!........remember them well (wipes tear away)

Such larks!

Have to make do with bends these days :D
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:57 am

Ditto; depending on your set up. If stock, then pegs should touch first, but only just. Pegs, head and knee will all touch about the same time. Best indication is your toe. Get it right off the edge of the peg.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1312/6/10/90/79/86/0/86799010607_0_ALB.jpg

julian

Postby julian » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:23 am

bmwonder wrote:Ditto; depending on your set up. If stock, then pegs should touch first, but only just. Pegs, head and knee will all touch about the same time. Best indication is your toe. Get it right off the edge of the peg.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1312/6/10/90/79/86/0/86799010607_0_ALB.jpg

What about panniers?

I've deliberately had the head down one or two times but wouldn't recommend it because trouble is sure to follow if you go that route (it also bent my rear brake lever).

Hero blobs are always first to go with me but is usually my boot that touches down first even with the toe is on the peg. In my experience (Cadwell especially) if the pegs are dragging then you are cornering too hot* and on the wrong line.

I'm running a 180 rear and the tyres are wearing right to the edge.

*Disregard the above if you are showboating for a bunch of school kids at the bus stop.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Return to “Boxerbanter”