Track day anyone?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bmwonder

Track day anyone?

Postby bmwonder » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:57 pm

Look what I just bought for the Blade....

£67 for the lot. Not too bad I thought. So, when's the next track day then? Need to test this out. Anyone? Ade - R6 ready yet?

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:44 pm

bargain and money well spent. Would also recommend crash bungs and carbon/ heavy duty engine covers (both tested by me...)

R6 in my dad's garage in Stoke.... knew there was something I meant to do. :roll: rear shock is in a box under my feet as I type (& has been there for 3 weeks........)

Reckon I'll get the shock off to K-Tech for a service this weekend (need to replace the chopped through remote pre load pipe thingy...) get the shock back in at the end of the month - bike should be ready for easter, just in time for the spring weather

:D

Would be up for Snetterton, Lydden maybe even Brands if the price is right. Possibly Oulton park for the first as its the closest track to parents gaff.. ie. pick up bike, do trackday and trailer back to the Smoke.

Having said that Rockingham and Silverstone are easy to get to from London. Haven't checked whats on - in fact I should book one and then I have a deadline to get the R6 ready... Trailer will take 2 bikes (just) so could give you a tow if required.

Will keep you posted.

Ade.
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:19 am

Interesting - my parents live in Crewe. So you are a Potteries boy then eh! Interesting - my parents live in Crewe. Only 30mins from Oulton Park. Watched plenty of races there but never ridden it. Would like to try that one. The price is never right for Brands. It's always bloody expensive. Having said that, it's a cracking circuit with good facilities and it's on the doorstep.

I was looking at doing the Superbike school at Rockingham possibly. The infield circuit looks great.

And I love Silverstone as I can never get over the fact that I am on the same circuit as James Hunt when he won the F1 championship when I was a kid (1977???). Makes me feel that I'm part of some sort of Motorsport heritige. Maybe I should just concerntrate on the track more, rather than daydreaming, I might go faster.

julian

Postby julian » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:08 am

I was planning a Tuesday 9 May Martin Hopp session at Cadwell Park.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Rossy1100S

Postby Rossy1100S » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:32 pm

I'd recommend Oulton Park, its a good open circuit with a few tricky bends, Lodge Corner in particular, which caught me out every time when I did one in November last year. It's an adverse camber right hander that catches you off guard, it could have been because the track was wet, but we all had a few moments there.

It was a bit of a "wet" trackday to say the least and also my first one, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Also a nice banked hairpin near the lakeside, can't remember what it's called, but I bet that's fun on a dry day too.

I will probably do another one at Oulton this year before progessing to other circuits. My mates are doing another one at Oulton Park tomorrow I think, I turned it down as I thought there was a fair chance it could be p*ssing down again and I fancied a dry day for my next one.

Geoff

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Did one there last year about 2 days after my stitches came out of my knee from my off at Lydden :shock: (it was pre booked!)

the circuit is mental - blind crests, off camber corners, crazy changes of elevation and narrower than a mountain pass in places.

All good fun though - me mam and dad even came to watch :D

I've thought about the superbike school thing but decided that I could get more (untutored) trackdays for the same dosh - track time definately helps you improve (if you don't mind the odd spill..)

K-tech will service the shock for £62 + VAT & bits - bargain, 4 week waiting list though, so no action this month...

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:03 pm

I've thought about the superbike school thing but decided that I could get more (untutored) trackdays for the same dosh

Yeah - the superbike school is bloody expensive but;
1. March is when the bonus is paid :D
2. The wife is spending all spare money on the lounge so best spend it quick otherwise she will. :(

Rossy - Try Brands - not a stright line on the circuit and Paddock Hill makes Lodge and deer leap seem like a little hump.

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:06 pm

Snetterton is great.. especially for Novices,.. Revitts and Senna Straights give you time readjust your 'wedgies' after the 2 complexes. Lydden is totally insane... unless your on a Super Moto,.. and Brands is nice (only done the Indy),.. but look-out for the return of your Breakfast the first time you go over and down Paddock Hill, .. well.. 'Any Time' over Paddock Hill really.
If it wasn't for a lack of both Bike and Money, .... oh.. and Ability,.. I'd love to join you. Anyway... enjoy it guys.

Geoff
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:27 pm

Shock finally posted today.... hopefully back in 4 weeks.

Checked out listings & reckon that I won't be in the picture until end of April:

22/23 Snetterton
25 Mallory/Oulton Park
26 Snetterton
27 Brands Indy
28 Cadwell
29 Silverstone GP

Looks like 100%bikes have disappeared! which shows how long it is since my last trackday..... did loads with em 2 years ago & 2 last year....

Anyway in theory at least I'm up for any of the above although Cadwell is a bit of a stretch.

Ade

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Ade,..... if you go on the Vespa, .. we'll all club together and pay for the session. Go on,.. you know you want to :wink:

100% Bikes (I did most of my trackdays w/ thm too) have vanished and I believe that 'Focussed Events' took over all of their dates.

Geoff
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Vespa is currently suffering from comedy rear brake - hub seems to have gone oval and the release spring has seized resulting in black lines at junctions from impressive sideways action :lol:

Could take it as a paddock bike :wink:
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:46 pm

BockingBandit wrote:Ade,..... if you go on the Vespa, .. we'll all club together and pay for the session. Go on,.. you know you want to :wink:

Geoff

If he takes the Vespa, I'll take the MZ.

Or even the Harley...

:D

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:36 pm

If he takes the Vespa, I'll take the MZ.

Or even the Harley...

:D[/quote] POLL on which is more dangerous/psycho please mr moderator :lol:
Bailey(no bikes).
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:39 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:POLL on which is more dangerous/psycho please mr moderator :lol:
Bailey(no bikes).

I know someone who took an FXDX on a trackday at Mallory - scary thing is that he was by no means the slowest there. :shock:

I've got to do it.... even if it's just the once :D

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:59 pm

Vespa on a trackday. I think it might be possible. You need a 125 or more. Scooter only trackdays might be a way to go. No leather needed just a nicked lid, hoody and classic reeboks and you're set.

Return to “Boxerbanter”