K1200R - Thoughts anyone ?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

mdouglas

K1200R - Thoughts anyone ?

Postby mdouglas » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:29 pm

I'm going to test ride a K1200R again tomorrow. My first ride back when they released it left me loving most of it but being really unhappy at the closed throttle behaviour (really lumpy and lots of transmission shunt).

I'm told that the new ECU maps and improved Bevel Box tolerances (sealed for life so non-adjustbale) have all but eliminated this unpleasant behaviour.

Who here has had any time on one, and what are your thoughts. I haven't seen any real defection from all you R1100S owners and was curious why.

boxerpan

Re: K1200R - Thoughts anyone ?

Postby boxerpan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:06 pm

mdouglas wrote: I haven't seen any real defection from all you R1100S owners and was curious why.

Cos they have NO character and the Japs do 4 cylinders better :wink: Not convinced the achilles heel of the range (shaft assembly) can cope with such horsepower - notice the power outputs have been reduced since the introduction of the model. One source that I would trust (and several that I wouldn't) have said the Power Cup boys have had difficulties with the back end twisting on the track. There are stacks of them unsold in New Jersey, give the Yanks a call I'm sure you can get a good discount.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:56 pm

Mark - Andrew S has one, no doubt he'll be along shortly.

I like the R but as Lloyd says, I'm still very slightly dubious as to the tranny's durability. Shame to say it sometimes, but the Japs have got the IL4 thing sewn up.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:14 pm

I rode Mitzi's today (first time back on a bike since my off).

It's a beast!! But did find myself thinking that I'd rather have the more polished feel of a well run in 1150 boxer under me than the raucous, bludgering rhinocerous-like K-12 engine.

Mark, are you going to sell your Rockster?
non quod, sed quomodo

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Lloyd,

I know who you have spoken too. As regards character, well just looking at it, at standstill it oozes it, well I do own one.

mdouglas,

I have a 2006 model, I test rode a 2005 model and it was not brilliant low down, mine is vastly improved and is very smooth. I have Evoluizone race filter fitted and a Staintune can fitted, and boy it massively improves throttle reponse and yes a lot more power. I have only done 900 miles on mine (crap Scottish weather) but plan to do some serious mileage soon.

I wont give my opinion on the bike yet, as I have yet to use it fully. I will say one thing it does go, and I think it looks stunning.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 pm

...I had a test drive in July 2005, on Saturday the 2nd..., a 'small' report...

OK ; did a test drive on a K 1200 R that saturday. I had these very high expectations, cause I thought it must be total fun to hurl around with a 160+ HP bike, plus that I like naked bikes very much.
I was in a total “buying mood” that weekend, and what’s nicer than to please yourself with a new scoot on a sunny Saturday. Can’t think of any.
It had to be a K 1200 R : the demo bike I rode was a yellow/black one, with ABS, ESA, fat rear rim, Laser HotCam exhaust, heated grips, alarm, bigger fly screen, and fitted with Metzeler Sporttec M1 tires.

First disappointment: exhaust noise. With the dB-eater fitted in this Laser it’s nothing special. Where did the Laser guys hide this awesome Power Cup bark ??? Just a Japanese buzz. Sorry to say that.

On the road : ESA in Sport mode, and there is this second disappointment. I like it when a bike (and car) read road conditions, feel it in your butt and fingertips, but (even) in Sport mode there is almost no feedback. Very strange. You don’t have a clue what road conditions are beneath you. This ESA suspension is a nice gimmick, but absolutely not my cup of tea.
IMO you get this unreal comfy feeling with ESA, even in Sport mode.

Brakes : rear brake didn’t do anything, and front brake felt totally different from my ABS brakes. On my S you only have to look at the brake lever, and things start braking, not so on a K/R. Brake performance on the other hand on this demo K/R was impressive. Maybe it’s this “odd” combination with ESA, that you don’t really feel its brake performances.

Power : impressive, but not exactly what I expected. It is all very controllable. Beneath, say 3500 RPM, the engine is very nervous on the throttle. This on-off effect. I really hate that. And 3500 RPM is what you do around town. On-off, on-off ; very annoying.
From 3500 to 7500 RPM this engine runs very smooth, with a very nice engine sound (like a turbine), and from 7500 to redline things go very fast. Nice ! In just a few seconds you can hit the 200 km/h mark (125 mph) on the nice white speedo, without any stress or engine momentum; what’s so common on a Boxer engine.

Torque : again I had high expectations. Before I bought my S, I had a serious test drive with Suzuki’s naked GSX 1400 F, and this bike surprised me (in a very pleasant way) with its huge torque at low RPM’s, and its lovely throttle response (also fuel-injected bike). Very, very impressive this big Suzi. I still like this bike very much.
Thought that the K/R could do this in the same way, but it didn’t. Torque figures on paper look very good, but on the road you need to rev the engine up, before you can use the nice torque figures.

Vibrations: the thing vibrates !!! On the freeway, doing a “license-save” 120-140 km/h (75-88 mph) you don’t have to use your rear view mirrors. You don’t see a thing ; just a blur. How different from my S. A boxer vibrates all the way, but there is a clear view in the mirrors. In the old days you could buy these little dampers, between the handlebar and the mirror stack. There is a market for these thingies again !

Road handling : good, did you expect anything else ? On public roads it’s above any doubts. Cornering is very easy, but again with this strange (ESA ?) feedback feeling.

Wind protection : with the bigger (Sport) screen very good. Didn’t expect that. Looks good too, this bigger screen.

Ergo’s : hey it’s a BMW…., the thing fits you like a glove. The only point is that you have to get used to the large clutch housing on the right side of the engine while doing foot braking, but then again, the rear brake doesn’t do anything, so why bother….

Looks and gearbox : LOVE IT !

Total PKG : ….eh….maybe I should try a K/R without ESA. You probably guessed it ; I didn’t bought myself a new scoot that Saturday. I went home on the “old” BCR, and thought about how good an S still is, even with all its vibrations, engine momentum, rattles, and chunky gearbox (and in the right colors an S still looks sexy !)

...and today (March, 2006) : I still love the good old S...
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:43 pm

why not wait until there's a R1200R (or whatever it'll be called). All the fun of a naked with a boxer engine.

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:50 pm

...my thoughts ! (in 2007 we can expect this one)
Have a nice day !

Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT

(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:00 pm

............or get a Speed Triple now! :D

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:36 pm

Too late.

The deed has been done. The 06 version is much improved over the early production models.

I was going to wait to test ride the R1200S but I just know that it's too focused for the type of riding I do. The ergos of a "Roadster" work much better for me and I have been lusting after a K1200R since I first saw pictures of it. And I can't be ar5ed waiting for the R1200R - you can play the waiting game forever - a bit like buying a new plasma TV or the like - always something better coming along in the next x months.

So yes James, the Rockster is up for sale. I've emailed you with details but I'm not expecting anything as a) it's white and b) has ABS, neither of which I think you particularly like. But let me know if you're at all interested.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:50 pm

andrew s wrote:Lloyd,

I know who you have spoken too.

Ahhh.....but do you know which ones' information I would trust ? I meant to say the engine has no character :oops: I already have a twist and go scooter type thing in the form of the Pan and soon got bored of that.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear

bright until you hear them speak.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:15 pm

bmwonder wrote:why not wait until there's a R1200R (or whatever it'll be called). All the fun of a naked with a boxer engine.

The very bike I'm waiting for. Rumour has it it'll be shown this Sept/Oct.

Like Mark, I love the Roadster type ego's; for a combination of comfort and sheer great fun, my old R1100R (well - I've had 2 of 'em actually) was fantastic. Definitrly not a book to be judged by its cover.

Good luck with the new bike Mark - enjoy! :)

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi Mark,

Glad you liked the 06 model over the 05. What colour have you gone for and what extras. If you are going to Burton, then I will not be alone.

Ron,

You should also try the new 06 model and see the difference. On another note I will send the CD to you tomorrow.

Last edited by andrew s on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:34 pm

Gromit wrote: Roadster type ego's:)

D'oh! - should be 'ergo' :oops:

Have to admit to being very impressed with the K12S when I rode it at SLM's open day last year. Too easy to go waaaay too fast though.

Of the S or R I'd certainly take the R. No other manufactuer does anything quite like it (ie krazy bhp but with proper passenger accommodation and luggage capability) certainly not with the same sort of oomph. The S however can be bought for half the price in the shape of a 'Busa.

julian

Postby julian » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:17 pm

I'd buy one for the looks alone. Luv'em.
There's al;ways one parked near my office and I frequently take a diversion for a gander.

There is a local chap to me (I guess he works for BMW GB) who has a K1200S parked-up on the road outside his house & it never moves. Before this he had a Boxercup S. That never moved either.

What a waste :cry:
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Return to “Boxerbanter”