Must be that time of year

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Me-109

Must be that time of year

Postby Me-109 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 pm

Seems that there are quite a few new members joining up recently ...... and I'm one of them.

Having had a sit on an R11S a couple of years ago at some show or other it's been on my list of potential replacements for my 1200S Bandit. A fateful sunny-day trip out a couple of weeks ago landed me at a nearby dealers with a shiny 11S. Discussions were had, a test ride was made the next (still sunny) day and I went off to do some digging - and found this board. A little more clued up I went for another looksee and a deal was done.

So I'm now the proud owner of a Mandarin (ok, I'm a bloke - yellow! :D ) '00, bearing ABS, a 5.5" rear, standard cans and cat, heated grips, an oe carbon/plastic mudguard (were they the standard?) and some headguards covering a couple of scratches.

I desperately need a hugger after having seen the state the back half gets into in this weather (PM going to sandbar next) - I forget how bad it can be after having had one on the B12 for so long.

It transpires that this was a parallel, which I was surprised at given the UK clocks and origin of manufacture. Still, I didn't think it would matter too much given that the power is made for a single market, so I can't get a sub-standard one, and the butt-dyno tells me it's about right.

My first check post-purchase was for the headlight dip and surpise, surprise ..... it went the wrong way. Makes me wonder how the dealer could put an MoT on it.......! Anyway it gave me a reason to strip it down and correct it, since they make it so easy and even tell you how in the manuals. That gave me an opportunity to 'feel the quality' of all the nice fittings. Proper screws and rubber washers, not snap-off tabs and the like on all the other bikes I've had.

It has had a set of Lasers on at some point, a new Motronic unit (£502) and a chip (Motorworks code TUA00002) into the new Motronic after it was fitted, probably for the Lasers. How do I tell if the original chip was refitted? Anyone able to provide chip codes or markings to identify what the standard one is? My first tank gave me 47mpg and 138 miles to the fuel light, so I don't think it's overfuelling.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:50 am

Welcome along mate :shock:

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:18 am

Welcome on board matey. judging by your user name, your next planned upgrade for your bike afer the engine management chip will be a pair of wings!

Leatherhead? That would be near that Box Hill then. Hope to see you out one Sunday morning.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Lightrunner

Postby Lightrunner » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:21 am

Welcome :D

I work in Leatherhead and occasionally go out for a lazy stroll around the countryside on the S in the summer... maybe see you there.
You didn't by any chance buy your bike from SPC did you?
Andy

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:44 am

Thanks for the welcome. No, I didn't buy the bike from SPC. I'm only down in Leatherhead through the week, though when the weather improves I may well take the bike. Mileage rebate is better in the car :) !

Return to “Boxerbanter”