Ally Pally R1200S first impressions

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Ade B

Ally Pally R1200S first impressions

Postby Ade B » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Checked out the new S at the show, difficult to get a full feel for a bike without riding it but based on what you see and the bits you touch..

+

trellis frame looks better in the flesh than in pics
seating position roughly similar to current S
comfy seat
feels smaller than current S
wheels are lovely
headlight looks cool
mirrors look like they'll work

_

its no looker overall, there seems a bit of a mismatch in proportions between the huge stepped up back of the bike and the diddy front.
misses S quirks (tank feels smaller and is symmetrical and much less sculpted)
finish looks cheap and plasticky in silver..
black bits on engine finish look a bit cheap
footpegs look and feel cheap
exposed bits of fairing back look unfinished (preproduction?)
clocks nothing special
top yoke, levers and switch gear are truly horrible, levers have no span adjustment (again preproduction?) and the top yoke looks like something wrapped in tin foil.

On the opposite stand the 999 and 749 are total works of art in comparison. The GSXR is a gem and the new Triumph 675 is gorgeous. BMW have really missed out IMHO...

Lets hope the engine and handling live up to expectations cos its a lot of money for something that doesn't look finished in design or execution.

Maybe its just me but I was disappointed really as BMW were good at well built, original designs that age and work well.

What do rest of you who saw it think.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:20 pm

looking back at the pics from earlier threads, maybe its just the colour that doesn't help - it looks much better in contrasting colours than the silver....
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:19 pm

I thought it looked cheap but it is expensive

winger

Postby winger » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:24 pm

Having looked at it this morning Hmmm

Motor and the fuel injection really look the good,the colour didn't do it any favours which is unusual with silver.

The rest really is a personnel thing,there was a guy sitting on it and he wasn't very happy at all,and to be honest i couldn't be arsed when i saw him all tucked up!!!

It's a nice bike,but blimey BM have taken a gamble,their chaseing a totaly different market with the 1200,it's ZX10 and Gixxer mob so it'll interesting to see how things go.

A plus for the sales guy he didn't even try to dress things up,just said it ain't a tourer or an alrounder like the 1100!!!.

Velociphile

Going to Ally Pally on Wednesday....

Postby Velociphile » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks for your comprehensive impressions Ade. I'll look forward to seeing it myself and checking your points.

The PR pictures show no span adj levers either; I agree, a serious omission IMHO. If BMW are seriously trying to take some of the 999 market, this is not the right way to go about it. It's one thing to not hit the emotional poiints on finish and so on, but make up for it in function, ABS, heated grips, shaft etc, seat height etc, but it's ironic that BMW were probably the only bikes with adjustable riding position features and now Ducati have moveable footpegs, and slideable seat units and movable clipons...... and the emotional element sown up.

Velociphile

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself, that rear end looks like a Babbons arse.

The only decent colour cheme is the Colgate one . . . .(IMHO) I'm sure it'll ride well but for 9 large(basic) it frackin well should. Not for me and and I think BM are going to get there fingers burnt with this one, I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

Anyone else like to shoehorn the new engine into the old S ? :wink:
I'm with Chris, looks like it requires too much effort, especially when the 11S makes fast and smooth so easy, AND it's all day comfy.......

However I'm sure the debate will continue to rage as BM are punting this as a real sports bike !

Toodle Pip
:roll:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

winger

Postby winger » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:34 pm

Actually the first thing i thought of when i saw it,was jeeze would be fun watching either Julian or Richard getting on it!!!,anyone over 5/6 5/7 sure as hell ain't going to want to go very far on it.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:28 pm

Winger, you serious? Is it that focused? I'm 6'1'' so I'll be too tall. :(
I've kind of made my mind up that I don't want one anyway. Okay, got a big tax bill to cough up for, so no spare scroats.
If it doesn't tour well (no panniers) then it won't suit my needs.
Will the Boxertrix statement 'The UK-based forum for what is still BMW's sportiest Boxer - the R1100S' have to change? Or do we just ignore any boxer that looks like a Baboons arse? :D
Thanks for your thoughts Ade. Can't make the show so I'll have to wait until it gets into the dealers to see for myself!

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:12 pm

Neil178 wrote: Or do we just ignore any boxer that looks like a Baboons arse? :D

I thankyu. . . . . :shock: I knew that was the right way to describe it. I think I'll Trademark that on behalf of Boxertrix. Consider it gifted to all members chaps !

Toodle Pip
Cheers

PAul

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:04 pm

Neil178 wrote:Will the Boxertrix statement 'The UK-based forum for what is still BMW's sportiest Boxer - the R1100S' have to change?

I've been giving this some thought, ever since the 12S was announced. I think I may need to give it some further thought.

Something along the lines of 'forum for the late lamented R1100S - the sportiest BMW to have had proper long distance/luggage capability'.

Or...'the sportiest Boxer to not have a rear end like a primate's poo parts'

Er...oh I dunno. :?

winger

Postby winger » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Just delete the sporty bit and have 1100s/1200s.

People tour on Gixxer thous so with some ducking and diveing i see no reason why you won't be able do the same on the new 1200,looking at the motor etc i'd be very suprised it can't put at least 10mph on the 1100,i'd say the price you gotta pay with the rest of the bike ain't worth it,but sunday morning mob might view it differently.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:03 pm

Yep, I'd go along with that,

The UK-based forum for BMW's sportiest Boxers - the R11/12 S

Toodle Pip
Cheers

PAul

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:09 pm

If I was to spend that much money on a sports bike (which I'm not!). I wouldn't get the beemer. There's better sporty stuff out there that's just as well screwed together.

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:02 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Fri May 01, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:47 pm

The UK-based forum for BMW's sportiest Boxers

I've long been looking for a set of prestigious but sporty undercrackers to match the hard luggage :lol:

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

Return to “Boxerbanter”