Ally Pally R1200S first impressions

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Che

Sounds tatty

Postby Che » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:36 am

On my way to Ally Pally this morning to see 1200S. Been looking forward to seeing it ever since the 1200GS emerged and rumours began of the engine making its way into the other models.

Alarmed at the first impressions though. Why would BMW put something on show that looks badly put together? I've been studying the pictures on BMW's promotional material and the under-seat heat shield really looks like a silver tea cosy. I'll also be gutted if they only have one colour there. Did anyone try to find out if this is a pre-production model?

If I can, I'll take some pictures and try to post them up. Even better, I'll tell BMW that Boxertrix is not impressed so they had better sort the 1200S out pronto.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:40 pm

I had a look at the bike this morning and I thought it was very nice - bit small, but still comfy enough to sit on. That heat shield did look a bit cack and I pressed it to see if it was just not fitted correctly, but the S has one too doesn't it, and the shine will go off it in about 2 miles and then it will probably not be so distracting from the back. Put a big single exit zaust and that back end will be a whole lot better me thinks. Anyway.... how much is about what it looks like, and how much about what it rides like?

Lets at least give it a chance eh!

Jason

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:43 pm

Played with the new 1200S at Ally pally on monday. Liked the initial look (But not in silver). Up close.. the seat felt a bit 'iffy',.. and the bike didnt look 'Finished'. It seemed more 'Triumph Daytona', .. gaps around the clocks, .. lost of loose and black painted stuff hanging around the engine area. Granted.. a lot more of the actuala bike is visible with smaller plastics,.. but at 10K, .. i expected a lot more 'wow'.
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

winger

Postby winger » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:06 pm

Hi Jason

It'll sell of sorts i've no doubt about that,but how many,the S took time to take off,the boxercup race sorted that out,and next years Boxercup for the 1200 will do the same maybe!!!,Bikes, politics, what ever, we live in a country that likes the middle of the road stuff,look at how the VFR has sold over the years,this new 1200 ain't middle of road.

I just don't see all the punters comeing from 1100s's,more like zx/R1/Gsxr mob,i reckon there'll be one or two culture shocks for both dealers and punters,can you imagine a Bm dealer telling e'm to put 10,000 miles on it before it settles down!!!,thats a lot of sunday mornings!!!

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:06 pm

Just returned from Ally Pally having walked up that great bloody hill from the train station! gasp!
:shock: Overall impressions of the show, poor. :( Not a patch on the NEC show and about 1/4 of the size. Anyone who's not tried the NEC "coz its outside London", you don't know what your missing.

Ah, yes, the 1200S? Lot of whats been said before is true. Build quality looks a bit suspect and where did they get that matt paint finish from??? Motorbikes are supposed to be shiny, lovingly polished things, not stealth f***in missiles! Comfy enough although when sitting upright, no matter how hard I tried not too I kept sliding forward until my nuts hit the tank! There's no little upturn to the seat like the 1100S. Gripping the tank with the knees, it creaked!! Rear seat looks way high and there is sod all to hang on too. Some bird tred the seat for size while I was there and I think she found a hand hold by sticking her fingers up the top exhaust hole!!

On the plus side the wheels are fab and I rather like what they've done to the head arrangement.

Overall, I don't think its a patch on my 3 year old Boxercup for build quality and quality of materials. Even the engine looks a bit..........well, naff.

Oh, and it needs a belly pan and a hugger!.................in my opinion.

So when it comes down to trading the BCR I shall not be heading for the BMW dealer to buy 1200S.

Best bike in show? The MV Agusta Velcro (or whatever its called). Now that is a beautiful piece of kit!!!!!! :shock:
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:02 pm

winger wrote:can you imagine a Bm dealer telling e'm to put 10,000 miles on it before it settles down!!!,thats a lot of sunday mornings!!!

:lol: 8)

nice, ah you could just imagine the Power Rangers coupons ! ( scottish slang for face )

Not really winning a lot of fans so far then, you never know mabey it'll ride like a whizz. . . . .

Toodle Pip
:brave:
:wav:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:01 am

winger wrote:Hi Jason

It'll sell of sorts i've no doubt about that,but how many,the S took time to take off,the boxercup race sorted that out,and next years Boxercup for the 1200 will do the same maybe!!!,Bikes, politics, what ever, we live in a country that likes the middle of the road stuff,look at how the VFR has sold over the years,this new 1200 ain't middle of road.

I just don't see all the punters comeing from 1100s's,more like zx/R1/Gsxr mob,i reckon there'll be one or two culture shocks for both dealers and punters,can you imagine a Bm dealer telling e'm to put 10,000 miles on it before it settles down!!!,thats a lot of sunday mornings!!!

I know Chris - I dont EVER see the rocket jockies going for a BM and I don't think BM expect them too either. I'm sure it will look a whole lot better in boxercup clothes though as you say. As for the miles, well as it will be better balanced now you can only hope that it is smooth (relatively) from the start. I still like the looks and tend not to worry about the minutiae. As long as I like the overall look it's how it rides that is more important. I used to drive old Lancia Fulvias and Alfa Suds for the same reason - they didn't look that good but would outhandle vertually anything on the road

Still, we'll see eh

Che

Postby Che » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:23 pm

The model on show was pre-production. Still, not sure how different the ones built to be ridden will turn out to be. Roll on 13 May.

My partner tried the pillion seat. She found it ok, but until you're moving, who can say for sure. She did feel v. high up, and she's only 5'2''. Pretty much rules out her riding with me pillion. No such problem on the F800S. Joint test rides on the horizon...

julian

Postby julian » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:14 am

I rather like the look of the new radical BMW cars especially the M5 - now that is a real beauty.

Problem is that colour is important and most BMs (X3 and X5 especially) have to be blinged up to the eyballs with extras (Alloys, bodwork, tints) to look good.

Last week as a passenger in Slovenia I sampled a Audi A8 and Toureg V10. The older Audi A8 was only a 2.8 but it really went well and was super comfy in the back. Alternatively the Toureg V10 felt like being in the back of a tank - beautifully made leather interior & plenty of go but it was executed in such a cold surgical manner it left me completely cold.

I stick to Germanic bikes and French disposable cars. :D
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Return to “Boxerbanter”