What can three men and a lot a will-power do?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Adski

What can three men and a lot a will-power do?

Postby Adski » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:20 pm

Well they couldn't push-start a r1100s that's for sure! :(

On my way home from work I pulled in to Tesco for some fuel, so I filled her up and went to start but it wound round very slowly, and on the second revolution wouldn't go any further.
Turned lights off and pushed her out of the way and tried again - still no luck.
Very odd considering I'd ridden her there, she was hot and was stopped for no more than a couple of minutes as I pay at the pump. There were no warning lights on the way there and the battery light was fine with the ignition on.

I came back later on in my Dad's car (with a mate too as my dad's getting on a bit...) and we tried to push start her but no matter how hard my arse landed on the seat when I let out the clutch she still skidded...even in 4th gear! The car park was wet though to our defence. :oops:

Ah well, off with the panels I go (for the first time I might add...) and it didn't take too long.
Bugger lifting the tank to get to the negative though - I clipped the jump lead on to a (rubber handled) screw driver and held it on the terminal instead and she started fine.
I've left the panels off and will take up to SLM tomorrow morning. They've always insisted it was just a slow starter motor and it was fine but I guess they were trying to avoid putting a new battery in there.

I took her home but just as I was about to head off I forgot the side stand was down - doh! Started fine strait away though, which was a relief! :lol:

I'll keep you posted with what SLM will do tomorrow morning.

Adam

PS...yeah I could have called my breakdown recovery, but bugger waiting around for them when I can do the job myself!
Mr Sensible.

Rods

Postby Rods » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:18 pm

a mate of mine had a flat battery on his 1150r a couple of weeks back. by use of a long screw driver, we were able to get a connection to the positive on top of the battery, and we took the negative from the side stand... maybe it would work on an s. certainly made life a lot easier that day. this trick also works on an rt :D

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:19 pm

Adam

To be able to bump start it there needs to be enough juice in the battery to run the fuel pump and prime the injectors. If there isn't you're on a hiding to nothing.

You also need to leave the throttle alone and let the ECU do it's thing until it fires and then try and rev it.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Adski

Postby Adski » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:22 am

adamski49 wrote:To be able to bump start it there needs to be enough juice in the battery to run the fuel pump and prime the injectors.

Yeah there was plent for that, the fuel pump seemed to be operating at normal speed. I'm sure if only we could turn the engine she'd have started, but the grip we had available in the slippy wet car park was simply not enough...or I'm just not fat enough!
Mr Sensible.

crucial

Postby crucial » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:34 am

It's also easier to remove the starter cover and apply the jump leads there, instead of the battery :D

Adski

Postby Adski » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:59 am

I'll remember that one in future.
SLM couldn't see her today so I had to book her in for monday. :(
Mr Sensible.

Adski

Postby Adski » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:27 am

Well she had to have a new gel battery, which unfortunately takes 24 hours to charge so I'm picking her up tonight after work.
So weird being back on the Hornet - it's so narrow, and bumpy, and the seat is like a plank! :lol:
Mr Sensible.

Adski

Postby Adski » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:17 pm

I'm back on the Hornet again! :(

Has a bit of a starting problem again - apparently down to corroded starter motor terminals this time.
Should have her back on Monday.
Mr Sensible.

julian

Postby julian » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:39 am

I've bumpd my previous S loads of times with just one person pushing.
Rider needs to stand on pegs and drop down heavily on seat when dumping the clutch. The Service manger at BMW Batersea has got it down to a fine art at very low speeds.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Return to “Boxerbanter”