Winter Bike blues - what to do?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

izustu

Winter Bike blues - what to do?

Postby izustu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:48 pm

Hi folks. Had my S for 5 years and clocked up 40K miles. I love the bike, but nearly fell over when I realised what it wasn't worth! (I was hoping to get a newer 'S'.) So I'm sticking at least until BCR prices start dropping. Question is simple, what do I upgrade? My bike is almost standard except hugger, cases, Cee Bailyes, horn, stainless brake hoses and cheap stainless bolt set from Desmo Parts.
I've looked into Maxtons and Ohlins. Can't decide! My heart said Ohlins, but head says Maxton.
Don't like loud bikes, I'm already struggling with a hearing issue! Y piece and standards cans? Would I need the relavant chip? Any comments welcome! :wink:

Cheers

Simon

gus

Postby gus » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Hi mate
Bike engine should feelin nice at that mileage too.I would go with the shocks first,either of your suggestions will make a marked improvement over the stock items.I take it your bike is a standard S.If so then a shorter or adjustable paralever arm will be a good addition.You,ve got your brakes sorted with braided hoses,a good stripdown and clean/bleed will also do wonders.A HID kit is a very good mod worth considering if you do any riding during darkness.Engine wise,the usual suspects.A induct,Y piece and cans,i ran mine with the standard end cans with a y piece cat eliminator for a while with good results if you dont like noise.Fully synth is a good idea both in engine and gearbox along with decent plugs and a careful tune of valves and TPS/throttle body balance.You shouldnt need to rechip with just the y piece fitted,however if your looking to perfect the fueling then dyno jet have a power commander ready and available.£££££££££££££££££££!
After you,ve done most of that,there is no point in getting a BCR as you will have something better!
all the best
gus

izustu

Postby izustu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:09 pm

Thanks Gus, some good advice there. There isn't a lot in it when it come to the difference in price between Maxton/Ohlins. Like the fact that Maxtons are UK based should something go wrong. Not sure about jacking up the rear, I have trouble touching the floor as it is! Thing is I need to be careful with modifications as the bike gets used for evereything. (Commutes, track days, trips to Europe etc) Needless to same I'm becoming something of an expert a striping, cleaning and rebuilding my brake's 8) Like the look of the new S as well, but not the price :shock:

julian

Postby julian » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:50 pm

My 'S' is becoming a bit long in the tooth now but I still love her.

New 'decent' aftermarket shocks whatever the brand will transform your ride. I was in denial about it because of the cost but having Ohlins fitted for the last 6k miles has made a massive difference in riding pleasure. There is also HyperPro and Technoflex. Used decent shocks will always have a resale value too.

Call Darren at Motorworks and see if they can cut you a deal in their January sale - I got mine there last year.

Treat yourself to some Michelin Pilot Powers
Have the saddle re-upholstered with gel inserts
Get a HID dipped beam
An Oddysey gel battery
If your 'S' is black have the wheels & rocker covers painted black.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:15 pm

Y section with standard cans and standard tune works fine. No need to re-chip.

izustu

Postby izustu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Julian.

Spoke to Darren and found him to be a top bloke, however not looking at getting any change from a grand! Think I'll speak to maxton's see what they can offer. Already sorted the battery, and find seat and lights ok. (I'm not tall or that heavy. Julian, I was at Cadwell last year in your group. DDP 'S' remember?) Tyres are all about feel, and I prefer Metzelers either M1 or Z6's.

Look's like I'll be 'putting the cat out' as well. :wink:

Cheers guys.

Simon

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:47 pm

Simon,

Try Wilbers front and rear, cost about £650 made to your requirements, weight and riding style.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

julian

Postby julian » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:01 pm

izustu wrote:Hi Julian.
Julian, I was at Cadwell last year in your group. DDP 'S' remember?)
Simon

Hello Simon, yep I remember - are you going to Cadwell again this year? I think I'll try and get to at least one.

JK
BMW R1100S (Black)

Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

izustu

Postby izustu » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:08 pm

Hi Julian.

Yep, hope so! Enjoyed it last year having taken a break from track days. Doing 'The Ring' in April, so most of my beer vouchers are going towards that. :D

Si

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:05 pm

That'll be worth reporting back on. Every time I do the Ring on the playstation it scares the shit out of me. Have a lots of fast fun.

Nigel

Postby Nigel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi Team,

Just a reminder that Martin Hopps Better Riding Days dates for 2006 are now finalised so get yourself booked in for the most fun and safe track based riding. 8)

See you there

Nigel

http://www.hoppridertraining.co.uk/
Follow me....I'll show you where to fall off.....

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi Nigel,
Good to hear from you. I hope to get to at least one of Martins Cadwell days this year, Should be fun on the GS!!

Regards Peter.

Nigel

Postby Nigel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:19 pm

Hi Peter,

The GS is a great tool for Cadwell, there is one regular who is more than quick enough!
Also, you get a cracking view of the surrounding countryside. :lol:

This guys a pretty useful rider.........

http://www.superbike.co.uk/video/bikesl ... 73101.html

Nige.
Follow me....I'll show you where to fall off.....

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:43 pm

I'd be up for that if anyone wants to do a group thing?

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:35 am

What are the dates for the HRT Cadwell days? How much?

Return to “Boxerbanter”