bye bye telelever

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

bye bye telelever

Postby boxerscott » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:43 pm

So reports have published the telelever (only on two boxers at the moment GS and RT ) is not to be employed on the new 145 HP 1300cc model range.

That will not go down well with the massiv.

TBQH I do not notice the difference of an extra 50cc over my old 1200 lc. I will not be enticed by extra power and extra tech this time round. In fact I want to rid myself of it.

Incidentally, I took My F6C for a blast to the MOT station today. First ride of the year. I did a full carb bridge strip down overhaul over winter and set it up on the bench using practical methods of balancing as I have not got a 6 port carbtune. Got to say it starts better runs better than it did before. Without vacuum balancing. What a motor.

The fcuker failed on a rear tyre issue. I protested and said that it was only 23 years old and had loads of life in it for dry runs. The bike has only done 5k miles 2.8 by me over the last two years. It did get an advisory at last years mot but with only a handful of miles between I was expecting another advisory. not so, last year they missed a bald patch and so did I cleaning and prepping it for sale. Doh! could not even find a decent used but good one on the web. There are some cheap bxstards out there selling used tyres with puncture repairs , used tyres with date codes not quite with the provenance of mine( :lol: ) but not far off. So invested in a 5 ton bike lift to get its rear wheel in the air and splaffed £200 on a new rear tyre. Gutted.

:wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Re: bye bye telelever

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:42 pm

Has to be said, Telelever is something I too am loathe to lose. I've ridden a few "normal" bikes in the past few years and without exception I find them "boingy" compared to the Rockster.

That said, the R1250RS with Active/Dynamic suspension adjustment is very nice... until you drop below about 40 when it turns itself off and the bike really does bounce around like a pogo-stick.
non quod, sed quomodo

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 pm

RiceBurner wrote:Has to be said, Telelever is something I too am loathe to lose. I've ridden a few "normal" bikes in the past few years and without exception I find them "boingy" compared to the Rockster.

That said, the R1250RS with Active/Dynamic suspension adjustment is very nice... until you drop below about 40 when it turns itself off and the bike really does bounce around like a pogo-stick.
I bet below 40 any bikes suspension has the same results, crap roads, ripped about by utilities , not only minds you into thinking are the indulations to fuelling or suspension etc.

i do not think the tele lever mono shock idea is bad, no other manufacturer thought it was something to follow but BMW are dropping it.

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:14 am

boxerscott wrote:
RiceBurner wrote:Has to be said, Telelever is something I too am loathe to lose. I've ridden a few "normal" bikes in the past few years and without exception I find them "boingy" compared to the Rockster.

I bet below 40 any bikes suspension has the same results, crap roads, ripped about by utilities , not only minds you into thinking are the indulations to fuelling or suspension etc.

i do not think the tele lever mono shock idea is bad, no other manufacturer thought it was something to follow but BMW are dropping it.

Chris.

I think on the RS it was just such a pronounced difference between the active suspension being on and off.

Telelever is a great system - but it needs the entire bike to be built around it. IIRC it was a Hossack (or was it Saxtrac?) system initially and if you look at those original frames - they're hugely wide to wrap around the engine. Telelever suits the flat twin (and the flat-4 flying brick) because it can be much narrower than a regular across the frame IL4 (for example).
non quod, sed quomodo

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:40 am

The only thing I missed when going from the GS (and R1100S) to the RS was the telelever.

I liked the 'neutral' feel and lack of fork dive, but I'm no racer so maybe in more extreme riding it didn't inspire confidence amongst the fast boys.
I even liked the separate indicator switches on the 1100S so I know know I'm in a minority. In the end if most people want telescopic forks then that's what BMW will give them. I'm sure the new 1300 will be very competent.

All the best

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:14 am

ianc53 wrote:The only thing I missed when going from the GS (and R1100S) to the RS was the telelever.

I liked the 'neutral' feel and lack of fork dive, but I'm no racer so maybe in more extreme riding it didn't inspire confidence amongst the fast boys.
I even liked the separate indicator switches on the 1100S so I know know I'm in a minority. In the end if most people want telescopic forks then that's what BMW will give them. I'm sure the new 1300 will be very competent.

All the best

Ian

IIRC the main bane of Telelever (and the indicator switches) was negative reporting from the vast majority of the press.

Telelever was always derided as "too heavy" (because at the time, the focus for all the press was high speed and track-lap times), and "feeling remote" (because they never rode the bike long enough to actually get used to it).

The indicators had the same issue - simply not enough time on the bike to get used to them.

Amusing now that a lot of reporting now is bemoaning the loss of both, because the press's main focus has evolved and is more about road-riding than trackday fun. :roll:
non quod, sed quomodo

templen

Postby templen » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:12 pm

It's all about the commercials for BMW, or any other manufacturers to be fair.

It's niche, let's face it there's not many "new" bikes out there that offer telelever. Therefore it's not mass market, hence costs more per unit to produce, ergo the bean counters will not like it.

I thank you.
R1200 GSA
Audi TTS
Sealine S34
"Make Tea not War"

Al

Postby Al » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:55 pm

You wasn’t the only one who liked the separate indicator switches Ian, my only issue was I had a couple of supermoto’s as well during the time time I had the 1100s and they had “normal” indicators” so switching between bikes took a while to adapt!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:49 am

I too like the telelever and I always thought it was changed on some models to accommodate the central mounted radiator for coolant. I used to own a K1300S and it had a Hossack front end and was just as good as the telelever.

buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:45 am

Apparently, all the pictures shown recently from the R1300GS feature a telelever...
R1100S / VIN ZA82517 : Image

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:50 am

It does indeed.
Attachments
1300gs.JPG
1300gs.JPG (46.09 KiB) Viewed 18446 times
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:01 pm

It does, it is also morphing into an RS, getting smaller and less robust like all of us.

Chris.
Fiat Panda.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:47 am

boxerscott wrote:It does, it is also morphing into an RS, getting smaller and less robust like all of us.

Chris.

To be fair, the GS had become somewhat more than porculent of late. Although I don't like the looks of the new one, making it lighter can only be a good thing.
non quod, sed quomodo

Return to “Boxerbanter”