Which security/alarm system do you recommend for the r1100s ?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

richphela

Which security/alarm system do you recommend for the r1100s ?

Postby richphela » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:09 am

Hi everyone!
Sorry to keep bothering you all but I live in central London which I think now, is a bit dodgy, so I was wondering which alarm system does anybody recommend for the r1100s?
Many thanks again! :bounce:

Blackal

Re: Which security/alarm system do you recommend for the r1100s ?

Postby Blackal » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:33 pm

Okay - I’ll have a bash………

Do you want, or do you NEED a security device (say for insurance reduction)?

Alarm or Alarm/immobiliser?

As a simple deterrent - then a self-install will suffice (if you have the time/knowledge to do). If it is insurance-based, then you will need to go for a Thatcham-standard alarm/immob which is professionally-installed.

Datatool used to be my alarm/immob of choice in preference to Meta, but there are others on the market now.

Alarm/Imobilisers are fine, but they do cause issues (battery drain, although not so much these days), and complete failure meaning your bike is going nowhere. Old Datatools had a get around for that - not sure modern alarms have that.

For an R1100s in London - Personally, I would go for a top-quality chain/lock/ground anchor, coupled with a good alarmed-disc lock. I like the alarmed disc lock for travelling, as it fits under most bike seats, and when fitted to the front disc- shreaks when sneezed on, never mind when the bike is moved! (Also prevents you riding off, after forgetting to remove it).

Not able to sink a ground anchor? Buy an old anvil and chain the bike to that. You’ll get your money back on the anvil when you come to sell :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:39 pm

Also you may consider a tracking system. Lots from not much money using phone and an app linked to a sim in the unit up to fully monitored tracking systems such as the one I had. As stated though it is preferential to prevent the theft in the first place. Is the bike on a drive, in a garage or in the open. That would help decide on the protection needed from a garage alarm to a chain and lock around a lamp post if on a street. A cover always helps to disguise the value of the bike.
10 KTM RC8

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:24 am

Blackal wrote:Okay - I’ll have a bash………

Do you want, or do you NEED a security device (say for insurance reduction)?

Alarm or Alarm/immobiliser?

As a simple deterrent - then a self-install will suffice (if you have the time/knowledge to do). If it is insurance-based, then you will need to go for a Thatcham-standard alarm/immob which is professionally-installed.

Datatool used to be my alarm/immob of choice in preference to Meta, but there are others on the market now.

Alarm/Imobilisers are fine, but they do cause issues (battery drain, although not so much these days), and complete failure meaning your bike is going nowhere. Old Datatools had a get around for that - not sure modern alarms have that.

For an R1100s in London - Personally, I would go for a top-quality chain/lock/ground anchor, coupled with a good alarmed-disc lock. I like the alarmed disc lock for travelling, as it fits under most bike seats, and when fitted to the front disc- shreaks when sneezed on, never mind when the bike is moved! (Also prevents you riding off, after forgetting to remove it).

Not able to sink a ground anchor? Buy an old anvil and chain the bike to that. You’ll get your money back on the anvil when you come to sell :D

I think you read my mind :shock: Perfect answer Blackal, Best & longest chain and lock you can afford is the way for me but do make sure you lock it to a solid lump, lamppost, metal barrier that kind of thing, don't just put it through the front or rear wheel, the bastards will arrive in a van and lift it in.
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:03 pm

CCTV, and a good dog, preferably one with large jaws, oh and a Crossbow .https://www.english-heritageshop.org.uk ... e-crossbow

You will need to order more bolts tho`

Seriously, if you depend on two wheels for commute all the deterrents mentioned in this thread.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:44 pm

15380600_10212006375340598_67907930268254514_n (1).jpg
15380600_10212006375340598_67907930268254514_n (1).jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Return to “Boxerbanter”