Cone Head

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

Cone Head

Postby boxerscott » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:42 pm

Today i received a new tyre, I mean a new tyre, (not one blagged off a bloke who changes them just because they are dirty) it is the wildest new tyre I have seen! Got super conical profile with outrageous tread pattern leading to the side walls. I would be able to get super grip in the wet at super degrees from vertical.... that`s if i ever went out in the wet or even dared obviate from perpendicular. 180x55 Maxxis Diamond MA3DS. Wild.

£78.00inc.

:bounce: :bounce:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Humbug

Re: Cone Head

Postby Humbug » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:28 pm

Tried them and its a little disconcerting when you get it right over. The edge seems to move a little and although the grip is fantastic, it feels just a little weird. Not sure if I have a spare brand new front in the garage, I'll have a look.
10 KTM RC8

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:18 pm

I presume not fitted to the Valkyrie then? :wink:
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:56 am

I'm sure everyone would like to see a comparison photo of old & new............... :roll:

It takes a special tyre to prise £78 out of chris' clenched fist - but Maxxis seem to get good reviews, at the expense of longevity, although Chris appears to have got decent mileage out of his last pair (even before they became slicks).
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:31 am

Tried Maxxis a few times, even done a trackday at Cadwell on them and they performed really well. I wouldn't pass over them as a tyre choice, especially at the prices you can get them for.M&P seem to do some good deals on them. As Chris Walker said to me, todays tyre technology is far in advance of the old hoops the 500cc Grand Prix riders had and they managed pretty well in the main.
10 KTM RC8

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:35 pm

TBQH there may be better tyres out there, they may be twice the cost but I question if they are twice as good. The maxxis supermaxx st get a big thumbs up from me. When i look at the costs in use of my motorcycles, tyre expenditure is low, mileage is maximised, the odd inconvenient wheel change is required at mot times for my dry use bike and there is still loads of rubber and grip left ( on a dry road) on tyre that has gone below the legal requirement. Tread is mainly for water dispersion. At lean where grip is important there is loads of usable legal rubber left either side of the tyre centre especially on the rear.

What i have noticed in changing my own tyres is that maxxis supermaxx st is a feckin tough tyre and resists easy fitting and removal which I think is due to the steel plies in the side wall. Tyres with nylon plies in the side wall seem to fall on and off voluntarily when you wave the tyre levers at them.

What i do not advocate is using slicks in the wet :wink:

What i can recommend is changing your own tyres, it gives you a great opp to clean up and check your discs and calipers, greater choice in what tyres to buy and the convenience of doing it in your time. Recycling is the only constraint (errrr.. and forgetting to torque up your wheel nuts) a good Staffie helps to get further use out of an old tyre.

:wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”