Motorcycle lifts

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Topcat

Motorcycle lifts

Postby Topcat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:58 am

Hi all, hope everyone is okay?

Tried to post this under Boxertech but it keeps taking me back to the home page.

Anyway, I was after a bit of buying advice if I may?

After many years of no garage finally moved house last year and now have one! I’m looking for a bike lift / work ramp and have kinda settled on one of the Clarke ones, the CML3 foot pedal which looks good, anyone got one and what do you think? Any others to consider?

The only problem I can see is that the work platform on the Clarke has a small upturn along each edge which helps give it its strength. With the K1300S, I tend to use an Abba stand but that is wider than the platform so would put all the weight on the upstand. Would a piece of wood under the Abba, allowing it to clear the upstands, work?

Cheers and hope to see all in Wales next year.
Dave
Last edited by Topcat on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave the german

Re: Motorcycle lifts

Postby dave the german » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:35 am

I've got one Dave. If you've registered with Machine Mart, wait until they do a VAT free shopping day to save some more money. I use a Boxer design stand for my BCR and I've use a length of wood to lift the bike high enough together the rear wheel off so you shouldn't have a problem. Very handy for water cleaning!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 pm

Dave
I bought a second hand one from my mate who was closing down the bike dealership - they had 6 of the heavy duty Machine Mart ones and half of them the foot pedal and hydraulic cylinder failed. But they were 10+ years old and were up and down many times a day in a busy dealers (Wylie & Holland's in Market Drayton) so would have had a lot of abuse. I retro fitted a hand crank cylinder and replaced the seals on the main ram and it is fine even though the hand crank is on the floor for the amount of times I use it. All pivots and bearings still ok and I just use a paddock stand to lift bikes or two axle stands for the rear of the 11s or any bike with single sided swinging arm. Recommended product, servicing & cleaning is so much more civilised when you don't have to grovel on a cold concrete floor.
And where is this Whales then?
John M

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:12 am

SP250 wrote:And where is this Whales then?

Bloody spell checker :oops:

Return to “Boxerbanter”