Item you didn’t buy ...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Neil178

Item you didn’t buy ...

Postby Neil178 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:43 pm

... when you had the chance to.
Over the years I finally realised that it you see something you want/need then don’t dilly dally, just get it bought. Because if you don’t when you finally get around to it the item may no longer be available.
For my 1100S I always intended to buy a rear seat cover from one of the German after market manufacturers, possibly Boxer Design. They did a couple and the one I wanted had a hump with an access panel. Ideal for a few small items although it wasn’t lockable. I’m aware now that Corbin did something similar.
So, what was your biking missed opportunity?

popsky

Re: Item you didn’t buy ...

Postby popsky » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:13 pm

Slightly off topic, not item but bike.

Well where to begin really, far too many but the ONE I do remember 1982 maybe, I’d gone to Taunton to get my Honda CB250rs serviced and on my way home late Saturday afternoon I had to pass the now long gone Taunton Kawasaki dealer, and there it was, stood in the window, all red and magnificent, a Kawasaki GPz550, I was like a snotty school boy with my nose pressed against the window. WOW that was my dream bike but but but how much jeez I can’t afford that, so I bought a Z400j, ridiculous when I think back, the 550 was probably only about 2 or 3 hundred pounds more but hayho, the 400 was eventually repainted as an Eddie Lawson rep with an Alfa4into1, and 3 years later 40K odd miles and many trips I’d fallen in love with the GPz750, but I bought a Z750 oh the memories :mrgreen:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

box-doctor

Postby box-doctor » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:43 pm

A San Jose air filter for my BoxerCup - I’ll probably not get another chance & that makes me sad :cry:
2004 Boxer Cup.
1992 V.W. Golf Mk2 van with 3.0 VR6 & custom 1 off 6 speed gearbox.
1990 V.W. Golf Mk1 cabrio.
Honda Civic Type R with Jackson Racing supercharger.
BMW E34 530 V8 sport auto.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:06 am

Not so much something that isn't available but upgraded shocks . I put up with the originals for 90odd k miles and then transformed the ride quality just when I stopped using the bike on a regular basis. Lightweight wheels would have been nice too. I'd also love a decent seat for my S although I guess these are still available.
On the bike front in the early 80's I replaced my high mileage Em Zed with a a Kwak Z250c ( the sensible economical choice in a world of spiralling oil prices).... When I could have purchased an LC350 although i guess I may not have been around to have this conversation now if I had purchased the LC.... Even recently I put a deposit on one as a project and walked away( minus the deposit) when I finally totted up the possible worst case scenario costs involved!

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:40 pm

Neil178 wrote:... when you had the chance to.
Over the years I finally realised that it you see something you want/need then don’t dilly dally, just get it bought. Because if you don’t when you finally get around to it the item may no longer be available.
For my 1100S I always intended to buy a rear seat cover from one of the German after market manufacturers, possibly Boxer Design. They did a couple and the one I wanted had a hump with an access panel. Ideal for a few small items although it wasn’t lockable. I’m aware now that Corbin did something similar.
So, what was your biking missed opportunity?

Same - There was a company in Japan who made a rather nice humped pillion seat replacement for the R1150R/Rockster, and I drooled over it for about 5 years, never quite opening the wallet up enough to actually buy one.
non quod, sed quomodo

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:26 am

popsky wrote:Slightly off topic, not item but bike.

Well where to begin really, far too many but the ONE I do remember 1982 maybe, I’d gone to Taunton to get my Honda CB250rs serviced and on my way home late Saturday afternoon I had to pass the now long gone Taunton Kawasaki dealer, and there it was, stood in the window, all red and magnificent, a Kawasaki GPz550, I was like a snotty school boy with my nose pressed against the window. WOW that was my dream bike but but but how much jeez I can’t afford that, so I bought a Z400j, ridiculous when I think back, the 550 was probably only about 2 or 3 hundred pounds more but hayho, the 400 was eventually repainted as an Eddie Lawson rep with an Alfa4into1, and 3 years later 40K odd miles and many trips I’d fallen in love with the GPz750, but I bought a Z750 oh the memories :mrgreen:

Same era, similar outcome .... I desperately wanted a GPz550, but due to budget constraint settled with a Z550F in 1983.

Imagefullsizeoutput_244d by gawaine appleby, on Flickr

Gorgeous bike when it was new and loved riding it but lots of niggling issues. I am sure a GPz could have had the same issues but it would have delivered the dream.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Another item I was after was the headers from Wonderlich. Again I was too late and they stopped selling them. Roll on a few years and I saw a brand new set on eBay USA for much less than the original asking price. Now sitting on a shelf in my garage along with one of those fancy dan Italian triple exhausts. Another winter job. Been saying that for a few too many years now. Procrastination should be my middle name!
Yep, doesn’t really fit into this thread! :D

Return to “Boxerbanter”