Has the world gone mad?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Taz

Has the world gone mad?

Postby Taz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:42 pm

I am referring to the number of BCRs now on sale at ridiculous prices, including one at over £10k !! And that's for a bike that is over 12 years old, in standard BCR trim. I obviously gave mine away when I sold it last year for £6,500.
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

andy griff

Re: Has the world gone mad?

Postby andy griff » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Never look back - I reckon £6500 is good money. And I bet you lost very little , so you're up on the deal when you add in the value of pleasure of ownership.

No matter what these bikes are advertised at - no-one knows what they sold for, or indeed what the seller bought for.
The whole market is over inflated right now - bugger all money in savings interest and people of a certain age with some spare cash ( de-regulated pensions scheme anyone?). Meanwhile a tsunami of elder care problems is coming over the horizon :shock:

Then the PCP situation will have delivered thousands of second hand bikes in to the market and there will be an oversupply - key negative equity on bikes bought at over the odds prices now . Economics - its great fun

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:06 pm

It's all about supply, demand & fashion and prices rarely seem to reflect objective value... Eg R100GSs, especially a decent clean Paris Dakar version, seem to be expensive (£7k - £8k on Fleabay) whereas the arguably more capable all-rounder R1150GS is half that and R1150RSs cheaper still...

I suppose motorbikes will always be a fairly thin market - fashion has a major impact on prices so it's entirely rational that the world is mad... Or something.

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Taz wrote:I am referring to the number of BCRs now on sale at ridiculous prices, including one at over £10k !!

The thing to bear in mind is that the price asked, and the price realized can be two very different things.
A couple of years ago I sold my mint R1200C for £3,500
I see them being advertised now for up to £8,000
A lot of it is dealers just trying it on using the premise that because it's rare, then it must be worth a lot.
Doesn't always follow
Also, they can afford to just sit on these things long term and wait for mugs with more money than sense to come along.
I saw a CX500 being advertised recently for 7 grand.
Yes it was like new, but 7K for a maggot
REALLY
:shock:

Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Yes to what everyone has said. I felt that I got a good price for mine; no regrets. But I do smile when I see these huge figures.

Reminds me of the time I sold an Action Man plane on fleabay for £10. Without wings!!
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Not bikes, I know, but a local classic car dealer has a Lotus Cortina Mk1 going for £39k. "HOW MUCH?" I thought, outraged at what seems to me to be a boy racer toy. So I took a photo and sent it to my brother, who was (I suspect still is) a boy racer, and had a hotted-up Mk1 in his youth.

He guessed >£50k and declared it a bargain at £39k. Shows what I know... :shock:

big rob

Postby big rob » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Taz wrote:I am referring to the number of BCRs now on sale at ridiculous prices, including one at over £10k !! And that's for a bike that is over 12 years old, in standard BCR trim. I obviously gave mine away when I sold it last year for £6,500.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detai ... eNumber=15

Not sure the whole world has gone mad, just over optimistic sellers in the UK, seems you can still get a BCR for "reasonable" money in the very country in which they were made :shock:

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Yeah, but left hand drive, but ...

Return to “Boxerbanter”