Shades of the ST....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Re: Shades of the ST....

Postby slparry » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:50 pm

I said " adventure touring bikes are MORE suited to shaft .... just an opinion YMMV" and for clarity in your argumentative world ...... yes chain, belt and possibly fairy dust may all function well for touring however part of the reason the GS has proven so popular as a package is the shaft offers a relatively maintenance free touring package. "

Note the YMMV ...... ie you may see things differently

The Paris Dakar is different as it's a race supported by teams of mechanics and yes the TV series did wonders for the bike but that's a long time ago now and the GS stands on its own merits, do you not think if it wasn't a good bike so many would have them.

And I didn't say off road I said unmade roads.... I really don't know why I bother with you, you would argue snow was black and coal white for the sake of it.

<note to self stop responding to our resident troll>
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:56 pm

slparry wrote:.... I really don't know why I bother with you, you would argue snow was black and coal white for the sake of it.

I spent many a happy hour whitewashing coal, piece by piece, so half of the above statement could be correct.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Herb wrote:
slparry wrote:.... I really don't know why I bother with you, you would argue snow was black and coal white for the sake of it.

I spent many a happy hour whitewashing coal, piece by piece, so half of the above statement could be correct.

lol :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:48 pm

slparry wrote:I said " adventure touring bikes are MORE suited to shaft .... just an opinion YMMV" and for clarity in your argumentative world ...... yes chain, belt and possibly fairy dust may all function well for touring however part of the reason the GS has proven so popular as a package is the shaft offers a relatively maintenance free touring package. "

Note the YMMV ...... ie you may see things differently

The Paris Dakar is different as it's a race supported by teams of mechanics and yes the TV series did wonders for the bike but that's a long time ago now and the GS stands on its own merits, do you not think if it wasn't a good bike so many would have them.

And I didn't say off road I said unmade roads.... I really don't know why I bother with you, you would argue snow was black and coal white for the sake of it.

<note to self stop responding to our resident troll>

Wow.
You really don't like being disagreed with do you.
That's all I'm doing.
If shaft drive were better than chain for riding off road, then there would be more shaft driven off road bikes, but there aren't FFS
Most off road riders much prefer a chain final drive.
You don't have to take my word for it.
Just research it, oh and please spare me the troll accusation.
That's just the default response for people who have lost the argument and are trying to save face.
:?:
[u]

slparry wrote:The Paris Dakar is different as it's a race supported by teams of mechanics>

As were Ewan and Charlies adventures aboard their GS's.
Well maybe not teams, but they certainly had support vehicles with them for a lot of the time.

:roll: :lol:

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:51 pm

SP250 wrote:XR1200 is a Harley isn't it? - maybe we've found out that Fontana is a secret tractor lover..................

I had one. Great fun.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Herb wrote:I spent many a happy hour whitewashing coal, piece by piece, so half of the above statement could be correct.

But in fairness, you did put my point across for me earlier

Herb wrote:I used to think shaft drive was desirable for certain classes of bikes. Now I am not so sure.

If my final drive fails, then end of holiday, my bike is probably going home on a flatbed.

If your chain fails (most unlikely with properly maintained modern chains), then unless you are extremely unlucky and hole a case, your should be able to get back on the road with a some assistance from a local dealer.

Chains are no longer messy and unreliable anymore.

I totally agree

:D

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

What was that Disney tune?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 pm

The problem is Fontana, that people are expressing opinions, not looking for arguments. An opinion is by definition somebody's own personal view based on their own experience, on a topic which is not black or white, but has many subtle shades of grey depending on that individual's perspective. I don't expect you to agree with my opinions and I'm interested to hear other people's since other people may well have an equally valid but entirely different perspective on the same topic.

What is frustrating with your comments is that when somebody has a different opinion to you, you insist that they are wrong and then turn what was previously an interesting discussion of different views into a challenge to prove your position is correct and everyone else's is therefore wrong. That is why, in my opinion, people find the way you frequently make threads degenerate into arguments, so tedious.

By all means share your opinions and give a justification for them if you wish, but please stop trying to argue that anyone else who has a differing opinion to yours is automatically wrong and must justify their position to you.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 pm

OK, I got that.
I am not allowed to disagree with the forums special people.
OK understood
:roll:

Return to “Boxerbanter”