S1000XR

Postby tanneman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Who on this forum owns one of these?
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:02 pm

I think PB has one?

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:07 pm

.... and whilst not owning one I've run several in and used them to commute back and to every day. Great fun everyday sportsbike
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

leasky

Postby leasky » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:11 pm

They look bloody good. One went passed me at about Warp 7 when I was home last month.
Leasky

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:31 pm

You have to ride that bike. Only a 160bhp but oh mother ****!!! Traction control light lights up easily in the corners. Had it battling the suspension with a hamfisted test of the TC :D . A more gentler approach produces 2nd gear wheelies out of the corner. It goes ballistic very quickly so a brain calibration is called for. All you need is 3rd gear, the rest of of 'em are spares.

I set the screen to its lowest position, better and no helmet shake at speed. Rain mode is adequate in town. Road is good enough but dynamic sets the suspension too hard for the average A or B road. Restraint is not its best suit. Not so happy in town so 2 gears higher than normal calms it down a bit. Ballistic licence loosing stress relief machine.

I find the bars a tad too high for proper fast going but it is probably set for comfort. Bit buzzy at speed which vanishes if you ride like a hooligan, meaning WOT acceleration. Front suspension feels weird as it stiffens up under hard braking removing a bit of feel I reckon but then it responds well to inputs. Don't take a pillion 'cause you can easily lose her if the mood takes you.

This bike had me laughing at how easy it is to explore the capabilities on the road. The one bike that had me concentrate on what I'm doing and working up a sweat. Nope I won't be buying one. I'll be dead in a week.

By comparison getting back on the GSA felt like riding an armchair, comfortable and easy to ride with good visibility.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:21 pm

... and the punch out of roundabouts and slow corners induces giggling like a little girl :) ... I love the part throttle burble and crackle from the exhaust.

If anyone is interested we have some good deals on them
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:31 pm

I think I owe myself a test-ride - as a replacement for the 1200GSA which I want a change from.

I do like the 2cyl grunt and engine-braking of the GS, but I want something smoother that is more of a sports bike for the open roads.........

(heard there were rather a lot of them unsold - hence the good deals.)

See if that works .....

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:55 pm

Blackal wrote:I think I owe myself a test-ride - as a replacement for the 1200GSA which I want a change from.

I do like the 2cyl grunt and engine-braking of the GS, but I want something smoother that is more of a sports bike for the open roads.........

(heard there were rather a lot of them unsold - hence the good deals.)

over production ... resulted in a great 2.9% apr deal, they can be buzzy if you ride like a granny, but work them and it all slots into place :)
--
Steve Parry

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but you still have your TC GSA? The WC is an improvement and a very good all round bike. An almost perfect choice for me as we take it on holiday and it takes lugging us and the luggage in its stride. Low down torque is the difference. The XR is more suited to the single rider if going on tour. That way the performance can be utilised without fear of scaring the pillion. Combine that with the hybrid seating ergonomics, luggage capability and detuned RR engine you won't find too many models in that range. A few manufacturers have such a recipe like Kawasaki, Suzuki (almost), and last but not least KTM with that 1290 Super Duke GT. If you are chasing HP then the KTM is the choice. All of them chain driven. Now if Yamaha can build a touring edition of the MT10. I see fun times ahead.

Splarry, Seat offers 0% apr over 42 months at the moment. Leon ST Cupra Black is looking attractive.

boxerscott

Re: S1000XR

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:57 pm

tanneman wrote:Who on this forum owns one of these?
Not me for one but I reckon technically not many other people either. PCP and all that. Sorry :wink:

Edit Over production= lack of sales. Way too expensive.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:03 am

tanneman wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but you still have your TC GSA? The WC is an improvement and a very good all round bike. An almost perfect choice for me as we take it on holiday and it takes lugging us and the luggage in its stride. Low down torque is the difference. The XR is more suited to the single rider if going on tour. That way the performance can be utilised without fear of scaring the pillion. Combine that with the hybrid seating ergonomics, luggage capability and detuned RR engine you won't find too many models in that range. A few manufacturers have such a recipe like Kawasaki, Suzuki (almost), and last but not least KTM with that 1290 Super Duke GT. If you are chasing HP then the KTM is the choice. All of them chain driven. Now if Yamaha can build a touring edition of the MT10. I see fun times ahead.

Splarry, Seat offers 0% apr over 42 months at the moment. Leon ST Cupra Black is looking attractive.

Yeah, I do. I want a change to a lighter, more nimble bike - which will still carry decent panniers. Had a hankering for a KTM SMT for a while (and still do), and have the GS1200LC, KTM1290GT, S1000XR on the shortlist for next bike.

Al :D
Last edited by Blackal on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

See if that works .....

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:29 am

Don't own one but had one for a day while the tractor was serviced.
Everything tanneman said. Lots of power, lots of fun but don't think I have enough self control for my licence to last long.
Chris has had one for since last September or so and he loves it. There was a vibration problem (Granny riding?) solved by some heavier bar end weights.

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:35 pm

[quote="Blackal"][quote="tanneman"]Correct me if I'm wrong but you still have your TC GSA? The WC is an improvement and a very good all round bike. An almost perfect choice for me as we take it on holiday and it takes lugging us and the luggage in its stride. Low down torque is the difference. The XR is more suited to the single rider if going on tour. That way the performance can be utilised without fear of scaring the pillion. Combine that with the hybrid seating ergonomics, luggage capability and detuned RR engine you won't find too many models in that range. A few manufacturers have such a recipe like Kawasaki, Suzuki (almost), and last but not least KTM with that 1290 Super Duke GT. If you are chasing HP then the KTM is the choice. All of them chain driven. Now if Yamaha can build a touring edition of the MT10. I see fun times ahead.

Splarry, Seat offers 0% apr over 42 months at the moment. Leon ST Cupra Black is looking attractive.[/quote]

Yeah, I do. I want a change to a lighter, more nimble bike - which will still carry decent panniers. Had a hankering for a KTM SMT for a while (and still do), and have the GS1200LC, KTM1290GT, S1000XR on the shortlist for next bike.

Al :D[/quote]

Al, have you looked at the Yamaha MT10 Or would that be to much like the R1.(it is de-tuned one) Does look good though and at 10k a lot cheaper than the others.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:25 am

tanneman wrote:By comparison getting back on the GSA felt like riding an armchair, comfortable and easy to ride with good visibility.

Does it?

I briefly test rode the XR last September. Not much to have a decent idea of the bike, but one thing that I noticed is that it is "heavier" than my 1200GSA on the front end, manouvering at lower speed (filter through traffic), etc.

The bike felt like it "sat" on the rear end a lot, even when negotiating corners at speed.
I'm told the WC GS has a similar feel.

Obviously, larger tyres, but I wasn't expecting that much.Tyre pressure might have been off on the demo bike though, no idea how the suspension was set up (as you know, I'm quite heavy).

I'll use this as an excuse to try it again :lol:
R1150R '03 (in pieces)
R1200GS '07 Adv
HP2 Sport '11
[I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:47 am

ianbcr wrote:
Al, have you looked at the Yamaha MT10 Or would that be to much like the R1.(it is de-tuned one) Does look good though and at 10k a lot cheaper than the others.

Had a quick look at the MT10 on paper - it doesn't appeal. There are a lot of naked bikes the same from all the major makers.

Al

See if that works .....

Return to “Boxerbanter”