Traffic...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:07 pm

das bike u1100s wrote:I drive " Trucks" for a living, class 1, not that that's any distinction for any class of lgv or drivers who use the highways in any form.
the standards of road driving in my opion have plummeted over the last decade.
Highway code? Its more a case they have a horn and prepared to use it when you get in their way when undertaking/cutting up/ or your showing thought to other road users, slowing them down.
the driving standards today are crap and only going to plummet further.
I am not allowed to show my thoughts or views to these "road users"
ps.
im not aged either :lol:
anybody who would like to criticize truck drivers ought to sit in their seat first, before criticising.

Probably in direct correlation to the reduction in traffic police
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Probably in direct correlation to the reduction in traffic police

Absolutely with out a doubt ....

I've seen this happen in South Africa , and see it happening here in the last 10 years too .

:( :( :( :( :(
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Gosh, I am really shocked at hearing this. I thought and still think that anyone with a hgv license has a responsible job and would have thought the Logistics industry recognized this. The idea of these 40 tonners rolling around with tired stressed out drivers is not a reassuring thought.

I suspect that when the shxt does hit the fan the driver is left high and dry?

Interestingly this does not seem to be the case in Scotland, the Doctor seems to be culpable, I refer to Bin Lorry. :?

I am not surprised however as the Hauliers association seems to be able to "convince" our Politicians that bigger axle loads and bigger trailers are ok for our roads (and pavements).

We have shxte infrastructure for our crowded little Isle.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:42 am

Chris, it isn't as simple as just having bigger trailers etc - we are running an extended trailer with a steering rear axle - it's currently on a 10 year government trial. With ours the idea is to fill it front to back and bottom to top cos it only carries bog roll - the idea being that it has the capacity of almost 2 trailers. In all honesty what das bike said is true - no one understands what it's like to be a supposed professional driver until they've sat in the seat - I say supposed because the standard of HGV drivers coming into the industry is poor but there is such a shortage they are getting jobs.

I started out driving a class 3 rigid even though I had a class 1 licence, and had to work my way up. Now, I wished I'd never passed my test and I'm not alone in thinking that way
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:51 am

Blackal wrote:
dave the german wrote:The trucks are already there Al, just no bums on the seats. It's an ageing workforce and no one wanting to come into the induztry. Haulage today is a 24/7 industry but check out how many trucks are parked up at times. A truck is only making money if the wheels are turning and rates are so competitive that although thwre is a great demand for drivers, there isn't the money to reward them. Many drivers stay with the job because it's all they've ever known and it takes a lot of guts to change

I realise the trucks are in existence - but was making the point that their "use" on the road - would have a sig effect.

It's a tough game - for sure.
To be honest Al, a couple of years ago I had a conversation about the reduction in numbers of trucks - it was a hard time for hauliers and a lot of companies went bump. Spread over 7 days and nights I don't think it would be that bad. What I have noticed tho is the increase in cars and this seems to have gotten noticeably worse over the past few years. Congestion during the rush hour when the schools are on holiday is interesting. It cuts my journey time by up to 30 - 40 minutes. 40 minutes might not seem much but over 5 days eats into driving time
Al
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:17 am

dave the german wrote:Chris, it isn't as simple as just having bigger trailers etc - we are running an extended trailer with a steering rear axle - it's currently on a 10 year government trial. With ours the idea is to fill it front to back and bottom to top cos it only carries bog roll - the idea being that it has the capacity of almost 2 trailers. In all honesty what das bike said is true - no one understands what it's like to be a supposed professional driver until they've sat in the seat - I say supposed because the standard of HGV drivers coming into the industry is poor but there is such a shortage they are getting jobs.

I started out driving a class 3 rigid even though I had a class 1 licence, and had to work my way up. Now, I wished I'd never passed my test and I'm not alone in thinking that way

My thoughts exactly .

Fortunately I am an electrician , by trade .

I had my HGV Licence while doing my 2 year national service , in certain units multi skills are required , as well as the ability to shoot and survive in the bush !

When I visited UK in the 1980s , I had a look around and back then I realised how stressful trying to drive an HGV is over here, narrow roads, 90% idiots in the cars ...

So when I moved across here in 2006 , and sent my driving licences off for conversion to UK , the dvla required me to have a medical before they would issue my HGV .

I decided not to take it up , because that would ensure a mental break down , based on what I see on a daily basis .

On a personal note , when I am out and about , I always give way to the big boys , they have a hard enough job as it is without being a petty arse hole and not giving them a gap .

But , on the other side of the coin , there are also a fair few idiots behind the wheel in HGV ....

A few sundays ago , driving home from work , at 6:30 am , in the pissing rain , on the M50 , I was doing an indicated 70 in my Merc , and I was passed by a tanker , going very much faster than 70 ....
:shock:
Old man ... now .

Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:54 am

GerryB wrote:So when I moved across here in 2006

What a coincidence, I landed here on 13 March 2006.

Standards are really going down the drain. When I visited SA in 2010 after a 3 year absence I was shocked by how much the law of the road was ignored. By comparison the UK felt like paradise. However I have come to notice in the past 3 years that the agro and haste and general taken for granted driving has become. No consideration to others or environmental conditions, no indicators, dipped beam lights out and fog lights on in clear conditions even trying to push you off the road where 2 lanes merge.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Lot of Truckies here eh!

so, my old man was a 'lorry driver' he hates the words 'truck driver' says that today's yoof wouldn't have a clue when it comes to the skills that used to be needed.

I followed him into the job in my late teens early twenties, working my way up from a van to an artic over about 3 years, earned my stripes on a 4 wheeler, hauling groupage, then moved onto the bigger stuff, I reckon I've moved all sorts of stuff over the years, from tanks to treacle!

I dragged my ass all over the UK and Europe, survived a head on crash with a tanker driver who lost control because of his excess speed, (I ended up in a ditch with nothing more than bruises!) and in the late 80's early 90's I'd had enough, as stated here, poor working conditions, poor management, crowded roads, speed limiters, endless traffic hold ups and a divorce will take the shine of a job eh... I went back to school, (I mean I never spent much time there when I was supposed to be going) learned all about hydraulic systems, and ended up in the suspension business, but I have great respect for the lads and lasses who make their living plying the roads, like all jobs, there's good bad and indifferent, it's a tough old gig...

I never know how you guys cope in the UK, I travel back once or twice a year, we'll drive back to see folks over the Christmas period, and I have to say, the worst part of the journey always starts when we roll off the train in Folkestone!

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:18 pm

It's interesting what the Road Haulage Association and the Government "threaten" to do to combat the shortage - Make it more accessible to get a licence - they really need to take a long hard look at the conditions in the UK and talk to the many drivers who are not renewing their entitlement. Under Thatcher (other leaders are/were available) the driving hours changed from 8 (I think) to 9 and twice a week to 10 if needed and could be spread over 15 hours rather than 12 1/2 (the hours laws are more complicated than that but that's a short basic summary but they favour the employer more than the employee.

I've just passed my medical and so have my licence for another 5 years but I didn't give a $hit if I failed - I'm not alone in this way of thinking

That has to be telling the powers that be how we feel about the job
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

GunK190

Feeling Crap

Postby GunK190 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:34 am

Why did I start reading this thread. As I lie here in bed reading this I still have a few days left off work. I will then return to my extended 18 pallet 26 ton ridged truck to face another year of battling through the riggers of working for a general haulage company and the demands it asks of me. I have been doing this for 12 years now and I've worked for several different company's. Not very day is a bad or hard day and some some days I even think how lucky I am to be sat up high looking across our green and pleasant land with no-one looking over my shoulder and the thought of holidays with my family and the one week a year my wife allows me to sling my leg over bike and take off to regenerate my soul somehow makes it worth the hardship and stress. we are all just trying to make a living, it just that there are moments when we all forget. Life is what you make it and maybe it's time for a change?

boxerscott

Re: Feeling Crap

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:56 am

GunK190 wrote:Why did I start reading this thread. As I lie here in bed reading this I still have a few days left off work. I will then return to my extended 18 pallet 26 ton ridged truck to face another year of battling through the riggers of working for a general haulage company and the demands it asks of me. I have been doing this for 12 years now and I've worked for several different company's. Not very day is a bad or hard day and some some days I even think how lucky I am to be sat up high looking across our green and pleasant land with no-one looking over my shoulder and the thought of holidays with my family and the one week a year my wife allows me to sling my leg over bike and take off to regenerate my soul somehow makes it worth the hardship and stress. we are all just trying to make a living, it just that there are moments when we all forget. Life is what you make it and maybe it's time for a change?
So true Matey, R u still in Bed? I`m dossin about on the couch looking for a bike I can`t find wishing I had not eaten that last bagel. Me dog`s wanting his walk and the missus wants to party this afternoon down at the Legion Club. Feeling crap too :lol:

I will probably feel even worse for wear tomorrow but at least daytime is stretching out now :!:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:15 am

I think the term "truck" is just more modern than "lorry" in the same way that "motorcar" has all-but disappeared from use, with the exception of some folk in their 70's........

(I've seen all 6 series of "Ice Road Truckers" - so am obviously qualified to comment :wink: )

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

GunK190

Re: Feeling Crap

Postby GunK190 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:12 pm

boxerscott wrote:
GunK190 wrote:Why did I start reading this thread. As I lie here in bed reading this I still have a few days left off work. I will then return to my extended 18 pallet 26 ton ridged truck to face another year of battling through the riggers of working for a general haulage company and the demands it asks of me. I have been doing this for 12 years now and I've worked for several different company's. Not very day is a bad or hard day and some some days I even think how lucky I am to be sat up high looking across our green and pleasant land with no-one looking over my shoulder and the thought of holidays with my family and the one week a year my wife allows me to sling my leg over bike and take off to regenerate my soul somehow makes it worth the hardship and stress. we are all just trying to make a living, it just that there are moments when we all forget. Life is what you make it and maybe it's time for a change?
So true Matey, R u still in Bed? I`m dossin about on the couch looking for a bike I can`t find wishing I had not eaten that last bagel. Me dog`s wanting his walk and the missus wants to party this afternoon down at the Legion Club. Feeling crap too :lol:

I will probably feel even worse for wear tomorrow but at least daytime is stretching out now :!:

Boxerscott hope you find the bike you're searching for buddy.Have a great new year ,it's only day one of a new year I'm sure if the mind and body is willing it will be a good one

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:44 am

Hi Chris,just to wish you & Amanda a great 2016 and looking forward to our visit later in the year.We will be near to Jedburgh in 3 weeks time when our Mx5 club,including Peter & Alan,are staying at Clennel Hall Hotel for 3 nights,22,23&24th.I would love to buy you a beer if you can come & see us 1 night.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:07 pm

:) You have pm Reg.
Fiat Panda.

Return to “Boxerbanter”