Track day lap video

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BlackDuc

Track day lap video

Postby BlackDuc » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:05 pm

cut together 4 different camera views from two runs and added some telemetry.

Pretty obvious where the speed is off but fun trying to put it together.

I had one camera mounted on the tail facing backwards then next session faced it forwards.
I had another camera on the front around where the mirror would attach. faced forward one session and towards me the next.

It was at Grand Bend Raceway in Ontario Canada, Oct 2nd. Weather was not the nicest. 6-8 C and very windy.
Its on my 2004 R1100S BCR. With data captured using Qstarz.

https://youtu.be/dt2mUDaA9F8

DPG

Postby DPG » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi BD,
I saw your vid over on PP before but just spotted the Datalogger info this time around.
How does the Video/Data Logger sync work? Do you just manually drop each cutaway in or is there a time sync running somewhere?
R1250GS
R1100S BCR
KTM RC8R 12R.
2006 HD Streetglide.
Claas Arion 180
MF 135
MF 350
1943 Ford 2N Funk Flathead Conversion

BlackDuc

Postby BlackDuc » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 pm

DPG wrote:Hi BD,
I saw your vid over on PP before but just spotted the Datalogger info this time around.
How does the Video/Data Logger sync work? Do you just manually drop each cutaway in or is there a time sync running somewhere?

The video on PP is a bit different. I tried cutting it differently.
Basically, I export the GPS data from the datalogger (Qstarz is what I use).
I overlay the data onto the video using a program called Qstarz Qracing (I think its free, looks like GoPro bought them and offer it free now). This is the program where I load the map of the track, and speedo. i want to try to make a proper R1100S speedo in the future).
Anyway when you load the data file and video there is a sync section. What I do is basically line up the video and position on track (using the map) and press sync and its done. It syncs for the rest of the video.
What I did was create each video with the overlay. Then tried to cut the video and piece it together to create the different view (thats why if you pay attention so the speeds you'll see its off in places. Its not the sync so much as the cutting of the parts together). Royal pain in the ass. There's probably an easier way but I havnt spent the time playing around yet..

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:10 pm

You might want to do a separate data video track (with transparency) and then apply it at the end on top of the edited footage maybe?
R1150R '03 (in pieces)
R1200GS '07 Adv
HP2 Sport '11
[I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

BlackDuc

Postby BlackDuc » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:26 pm

I did but the data goes to a finer degree than the video software. That was the plan, but when pasting it, 100 mph and a couple 10's of a second makes a difference on the track. Plus it was different sessions so its not exact as well. You can notice more at the end, the bikes are right behind me in one shot and the next cut they're a little further behind. It was fun playing around. I think next year I'm going to do a much of cuts and make a little race day video...show the track, pits, start angles from bike and ground, etc. Should look cool.

DPG

Postby DPG » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:06 pm

Very Interesting. I have three Contour Roam HD's knocking about these days and I'm hoping that I've managed to convince a mate of mine to gaffer them all for me at a trackday next year to give me a load of chops and shorts to knock up an interesting 3 minutes or so.

Overlaying the rev's and track position looks like very cool addition.

A decent lump of onboard video can be dead helpful in tracking down problems too..

The more think about it, the more motivated to do one of my own i get..
R1250GS
R1100S BCR
KTM RC8R 12R.
2006 HD Streetglide.
Claas Arion 180
MF 135
MF 350
1943 Ford 2N Funk Flathead Conversion

BlackDuc

Postby BlackDuc » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:20 pm

It was interesting watching the full length videos. I could see some bad positioning. The camera at the front looking back towards me, gave me some pretty good info. One thing that surprised me was how much neck strain there is in some corners. I could see all the veins and muscles in my neck popping on some turns.
What I did with the cameras was place two mounts. I did one session with the cameras facing away from the bike, the next session I used the same mounts and faced the cameras towards me.

Return to “Boxerbanter”