Broken bike :(

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

conkerman

Broken bike :(

Postby conkerman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:40 pm

Used my R1100S for the first time for a while, when I got home I noticed a grinding noise with the clutch out, pull the clutch in and it goes away.

Pretty sure it's input splines.

Is it worth fixing, or should I just break it?

I have a new GS coming at the end of this month.

What do you think I should do?
Gary

gus

Postby gus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 am

Hi
Depends if your handy with spanners or not.
It's a relatively easy but time consuming job to swap out a input shaft. (Motorworks have good secondhand shafts). New clutch needed too.
If your paying a shop to do the work then labour charge is going to cost.
What's the bike worth to you? Were you going to keep it even though your getting a new bike?
A secondhand gear box is another option, still cost a fair bit and the bike will still need stripping down .
If your fixing it your self you should to be able to sort it out for under £200 in parts.
Good luck
Gus
Ps there is plenty of threads online on how to change the shaft if you do a google search.
There a few gearboxes on ebay at the moment. The good ones are about £300 -400.

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:19 am

Hi Gus.

Thanks for the reply.

I thinking along these lines. I like my old rather shabby 11S but it doesn't do to be sentimental about vehicles.

I got the bike out of the garage yesterday, and started it up. No horrible noises.

I'm not too bad with spanners, just short of time, like most of us.

I think I'll pull the gearbox off and have a good look around although I suspect I'll be best off breaking the bike for parts :(

Although I do quite like the idea of a mandarin R11S with black transmission and wheels. :)

My bike has a Remus exhaust (with 2 pipes heading up from a large collector/Cat to the cans. Any idea what that'll be worth?

Again, my preference is to keep it, but I need to make space for the GS. In a quandary.

Sorry for the rambling reply, but I'm in a quandary.
Gary

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:51 am

That Remus will be at least a few hundred quid. If you go onto eBay you can search for 'completed listings' which will give you a price of what things really sell for if you consider parting it out. Don't use Motorworks' price list as a guide as they're massively overpriced.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll have a think, If I do break it I'll offer it on here first.

Cheers all.
Gary

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:08 pm

I am thinking...... :roll: ........ it will take as long to break it, list all parts, spend an age answering questions, postage and packaging.

FIX IT man :!: still a better bike than the gs :wink: and it aint gonna depreciate anymore like your new gs will first time you thumb the starter :wink: Nice winter project for self.

Only an alternative point of view :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:37 am

boxerscott wrote:I am thinking...... :roll: ........ it will take as long to break it, list all parts, spend an age answering questions, postage and packaging.

FIX IT man :!: still a better bike than the gs :wink: and it aint gonna depreciate anymore like your new gs will first time you thumb the starter :wink: Nice winter project for self.

Only an alternative point of view :)

agreed, it'd be more of a ball ache to tear down and faff with sellers etc as Chris says ... and the multiple trips to the post office etc. The only other option is to sell it for repairs and take a huge hit on the value.

Assuming you have a decent garage and work ramp (if not get one from Machine Mart etc) do it over the winter and add a few tweaks while you're at it too. Gives a good excuse to live in the man cave :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:57 am

You lot are evil :)

Basically, my plan currently is.

If my 955i is sold quickly I will probably repair the R11. A mate was supposed to have it off me (the only previous owner) but has decided to hang up his helmet.

I don't have a lift yet, but my bike has a centre stand, so isn't totally necessary.

I can feel the spending spiralling out of control! The bike doesn't stand me much so

Will keep you all informed on what I do.

I need to get a date for when my GS turns up. Cant fit 3 bikes in the garage.
Gary

Return to “Boxerbanter”