Many R1200S for sale

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

Many R1200S for sale

Postby f90x » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:42 pm

There are TWELVE R1200S for sale on eBay right now.
WHATS GOING ON!!!???
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:01 pm

R1200RS effect ?

Having just sold mine, I did not foresee doing that in April of this year. The 1200S was like an evolved 1100S for me and I loved it.

Then I test rode the new liquid cooled RS. For sure, its not a £8k better bike per se, but it offered a different experience - yet one that felt familiar- in that it was a sports boxer twin but with the electronics of a 2015 motorcycle. it was enough to turn my head :D

boxerscott

Re: Many R1200S for sale

Postby boxerscott » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 pm

f90x wrote:There are TWELVE R1200S for sale on eBay right now.
WHATS GOING ON!!!???
depreciation of them will increase?

Do electronics make for a better riding experience? see owners on this site wanting to disable the first electronic rider aid ABS , so will people want to disable tc, esa, power modes when they can not justify/meet the repair bill?

Only electronic rider aid that would sway me would be a KCD.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:34 am

Personally, I think I would prefer my 1200s to a new RS. I test rode the RS then the GS and then rode home on my 12s and loved it. I realise I am now spoiled for choice but as previously mentioned I don't think the RS was worth the extra over my 12s and there was something about not having the elecctronics
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:37 am

boxerscott wrote:
WHATS GOING ON!!!???

Do electronics make for a better riding experience? see owners on this site wanting to disable the first electronic rider aid ABS , so will people want to disable tc, esa, power modes when they can not justify/meet the repair bill?

Love that term................ :D

Sometimes people just want a new bike - and if something comes along that they fancy - that's all the justification they need. So yes - possibly the new R1200RS is the reason?

If someone has held on to an R1200s for a few years - you might suppose that they are keen on the boxer twin, the shaft drive etc (but losing the telelever front end)?

I think all the whiz-bang electronics will become a liability for many people as the years mount up. At that stage - the basic model (sans electronic suspension, traction control etc - and even ABS) might be the more sought-after one.

Wouldn't mind a test ride of the 1200RS.... :wink:

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:14 am

As to possible reasons to change bike I heard a new R1 going up the road the other day. WOW!

Think I need to book a test ride. :D

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:31 am

Sometimes people just want a new bike - and if something comes along that they fancy - that's all the justification they need. So yes - possibly the new R1200RS is the reason?

I think all the whiz-bang electronics will become a liability for many people as the years mount up. At that stage - the basic model (sans electronic suspension, traction control etc - and even ABS) might be the more sought-after one.

Al[/quote]

Al I think you're right regarding the electronics - I don't see myself touching the GS when it's out of warranty (except for changing the rear wheel cover which got a stone or something through it last night

it just seems so complicated

:evil:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:55 am

Isn’t the main reason people disable the abs on the R1100S down to it being a servo system that goes wrong and not the abs as such?

I can see what you are saying about the electronics on the new bikes, it undoubtedly adds complexity and possible repair problems later on. However, wasn’t there a problem with old suzuki’s back in the 80’s with the electronic ignition unit having a habit of blowing and the cost was enough to write the bike off? Fixes are on Youtube now. May have got that wrong but the point is what seems a very complex bit of kit now will likely to be very repairable in a few years’ time. In the meantime, as BMW seem to do most of their development work after they’ve sold the sodding things, keep up that warranty! :D (That last statement could be a whole other discussion on where modern bike ownership is going!)

Whether you need all the gismos on a Boxer is debatable but I wouldn’t be quiet so happy at not having it on the S1000RR (plus the DDC is brilliant, once you get your head round it!) :wink:

Personally, I would happily have had ABS on the Bandit last week when I locked the front avoiding a car that cut across me, it was pure reaction, grab that lever and pull, no thought at all. More powerful brakes and I’d have been off. :cry:

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:17 pm

On the upside - great time to buy a 1200S. Selection of spec, colours, mileage and condition.

:D

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:53 am

Blackal wrote:
boxerscott wrote:
WHATS GOING ON!!!???

Love that term................ :D

If someone has held on to an R1200s for a few years - you might suppose that they are keen on the boxer twin, the shaft drive etc (but losing the telelever front end)?

Al

I would agree with all of that. I really like the look of the RS but (money aside) the loss of telelever really upsets me and I don't want a bike with all the electronics that they all appear to come with these days.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

daves

Postby daves » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:33 am

I've just bought one, so that's one less on the market 8)

Dave
K100RS x2, one dark blue, one blue and pearl
K100RT, blue
K100LT, gold (eugh)
R80 RT green
R90S, smoke grey
R1100S, yellow
R1100GS, Kalahari
R1200S, silver

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:00 am

daves wrote:I've just bought one, so that's one less on the market 8)

Dave

No photos or details................ it never happened :(

Al :wink:

See if that works .....

daves

Postby daves » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:26 am

I haven't got it yet - picking it up on Saturday from the dealer. Getting exited now

:D
K100RS x2, one dark blue, one blue and pearl

K100RT, blue

K100LT, gold (eugh)

R80 RT green

R90S, smoke grey

R1100S, yellow

R1100GS, Kalahari

R1200S, silver

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Rainbow have a colgate 1200 with sports pack and 19 500 miles for £3995!!! no pictures yet but that is cheap!!
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:13 pm

dave the german wrote:Rainbow have a colgate 1200 with sports pack and 19 500 miles for £3995!!! no pictures yet but that is cheap!!

Indeed - it's a fresh breath of air, seeing them at that sort of price............. :wink:

Okay - I'm leaving........... :oops:

Al

See if that works .....

Return to “Boxerbanter”