Oil and Gas in 20 teens 1:01

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

GRAgusta

Oil and Gas in 20 teens 1:01

Postby GRAgusta » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Synopsis ...

Ageing assets in Trinidad require upgrade of safety systems to optimise potential production ...
Opportunity arises to help local talent with experience from North Sea ...
Development of highly controversial fracing techniques in USA ...
USA becomes less reliant on imported crude ....
Saudi Arabia opens the taps to win back market share ...
Oil price collapses ....
Asset integrity projects are put on hold ....
Expensive expats are expulsed from Trinidad ....

Just a microscopic view of recent developments from the perspective of a small fish in the vast ocean.

Anyhow .. the last time the MV Agusta was ridden properly was July 2013.

Yesterday she came out again for a proper ride for the first time in two years ... only one word for it .... Catharsis ..

Catharsis (from the Greek κάθαρσις katharsis meaning "purification" or "cleansing") is the purification and purgation of emotions through art or any extreme change in emotion that results in renewal and restoration.

After delighting in the orchestral tones of the four Arrows, there was the pleasure of the ritual bath.

Nice to have time at home in summer .. albeit it just for a weekend.

Now lodging in Reading looking for a new assignment.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:48 am

Catharsis (from the Greek κάθαρσις katharsis meaning "purification" or "cleansing") is the purification and purgation of emotions through art or any extreme change in emotion that results in renewal and restoration.

You mean - "it was so quick Poo came out"
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Something similar here. Seismic industry ex-pat no longer required in Houston, now back to a damp, cold, windy Scotland.

The real bummer is, I sold my R1200S before I went....
In hiatus from motorcycles.

Blackal

Re: Oil and Gas in 20 teens 1:01

Postby Blackal » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:58 pm

GRAgusta wrote:Synopsis ...

Without quoting your whole post.............. What have you been smoking? :shock:

Al :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Blackal wrote:

Without quoting your whole post.............. What have you been smoking? :shock:

Exactly, summer lasted nowhere as long as a whole weekend

mh374

Postby mh374 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Does any one else feel a strange but delirious joy that people in the oil industry finally feel a bit of the pain that most of us have felt for many years?

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Stevie wrote:
Blackal wrote:

Exactly, summer lasted nowhere as long as a whole weekend

Stevie, we are just up the road from you .... the bike was out for two hours Saturday morning in sunshine but puddles on the road before breakfast. Then back out at 5 in the evening to get washed once the rain had stopped ...

but there was no ice, no salt, and at 14deg ambient the MV does not overheat ... so perfect conditions. :twisted:

Hope you get sorted out soon, at least with a new bike to play with.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:52 pm

mh374 wrote:Does any one else feel a strange but delirious joy that people in the oil industry finally feel a bit of the pain that most of us have felt for many years?

There are choices that we can all make, pain and gain all too often go along together.

For most of our married life I have worked in a different country from the one in which my wife lived. She retired to join me in Trinidad and we loved it - despite the murder rate of 1.2 people per day, deaths on the road of 1 per day, and the consequent restrictions those statistics place on your daily activities. And she lost a week in October due to chickengunya fever with the consequences still apparent these months later.

It looks like the only career choice I have for the next couple of years will take me to somewhere where she can't come. It is a sad time for us, but I do not belittle the misfortunes of others. Mrs A's experience in the NHS brought that clearly into our home.

Anyway, my plan at the moment for when I'm home this weekend is to take the BMW out for a spin, all it has done in two years is travel to the MOT station.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:27 pm

mh374 wrote:Does any one else feel a strange but delirious joy that people in the oil industry finally feel a bit of the pain that most of us have felt for many years?

This is my third industry - I was in telecoms before the collapse of that industry, and in defence electronics before the "peace dividend".

Enjoy your schadenfreude (and cheap petrol) while it lasts. :D

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:34 pm

GRAgusta wrote:

There are choices that we can all make, pain and gain all too often go along together.

For most of our married life I have worked in a different country from the one in which my wife lived. She retired to join me in Trinidad and we loved it - despite the murder rate of 1.2 people per day, deaths on the road of 1 per day, and the consequent restrictions those statistics place on your daily activities. And she lost a week in October due to chickengunya fever with the consequences still apparent these months later.

It looks like the only career choice I have for the next couple of years will take me to somewhere where she can't come. It is a sad time for us, but I do not belittle the misfortunes of others. Mrs A's experience in the NHS brought that clearly into our home.

Anyway, my plan at the moment for when I'm home this weekend is to take the BMW out for a spin, all it has done in two years is travel to the MOT station.

--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

mh374

Postby mh374 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:17 pm

Steve,

What can you tell us about Narcissistic personality disorder?

Especially as you don't seem to be dead!

:shock:

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:02 pm

--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:01 am

Good to see you're feeling better Steve :wink:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:43 am

GRAgusta wrote:

I've had some fantastic travelling in this job, and mostly limited to a few weeks at a time (although 3 months in a remote Chinese desert was a bit of a stretch), so I can't complain about this.

However, I've just heard that one of our subcontractors has been kidnapped by IS and has appeared on a video. Poor begger. And this is in Egypt, which is not somewhere we normally consider particularly dangerous.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/08/0 ... 8020150805

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:26 am

Stevie wrote:
GRAgusta wrote:

I've had some fantastic travelling in this job, and mostly limited to a few weeks at a time (although 3 months in a remote Chinese desert was a bit of a stretch), so I can't complain about this.

However, I've just heard that one of our subcontractors has been kidnapped by IS and has appeared on a video. Poor begger. And this is in Egypt, which is not somewhere we normally consider particularly dangerous.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/08/0 ... 8020150805

Puts bickering about who is or who isn't a troll into perspective.

Return to “Boxerbanter”