Fed up

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Topcat

Fed up

Postby Topcat » Mon May 18, 2015 10:48 am

of getting wet :cry:

Another wet trip this morning up to London and I got soaked again. Jacket not to bad but trousers leaked (and I did have the pockets closed this time :wink: ) plus the jacket had a washing machine related incident and has a large tear on the back now.

Need to get some new kit, current stuff is Dainese and has been pretty good, about 8 years old now.

So, interested in any other suggestions of tried and tested kit from the wise and the good, but I guess I'll have to settle for what you lot have to say :D

Thanks in advance

Dave

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon May 18, 2015 11:36 am

I have BMW Tourance 2 stuff and it's been fine in really heavy weather Dave, for short (6 mile) commutes I have a generic pair of lined over trousers that I've had for over 20 years that I use over work clothes
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon May 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Rukka for when it is cold and or wet. You might point out the enormous cost of a suit but 10 years down the line it works out about £10 - £15 a month. One of the best suits I have ever owned. Only reason I sold it was the ventilation which it didn't have.

I have a Hein Gericke suit, can't remember the name (Ride recommended), with a bonded Goretex outer and vents on the arms, back and top of trousers. Cuffs inside and that folds over the gloves, sleeves that prevents the cuffs riding up your arms and a storm flap on the collar. I see no reason to change suits as this does the job 90% of the time except when it goes above 25 degC but for that I have a mesh suit. Not the warmest suit but perfect for me. and I bought it just before they went bust so got it for half price, £480.

You have to make a list of requirements and then look at each suit to see if it fulfils that list. My list was Goretex bonded outer shell, full crash protection, thermal liner, vents jacket and trousers, adjustable armour, high collar removable, cuffs inside and over gloves (this is the best arrangement ever), non slip material on seat of trousers, pockets inside and enough outside + waterproof, Napoleon pocket, and a pocket the width of jacket on the lower back (handy for snacks when the missus is pillion or stuffing a few bits in there).

Good kit will cost money and if you spend a lot of time on a bike then it is worth it.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Bavarian Bomber

Postby Bavarian Bomber » Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Would agree with Rukka, best suit I've owned. Brilliant for cold and/or wet riding, really well made suits. Got the 'Marco' suit as its not too bulky. If your budget stretches to Rukka, you won't regret buying.

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon May 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Halvarssons make good quality mid range stuff, Swedish made and warm.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm

slparry wrote:I have BMW Tourance 2 stuff and it's been fine in really heavy weather Dave, for short (6 mile) commutes I have a generic pair of lined over trousers that I've had for over 20 years that I use over work clothes

BTW Dave BMW also offer 0% on their kit too

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/ind ... &notrack=1
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Mon May 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Thanks chaps, some food for thought here.

Must say I had been thinking about Rukka but it is pricy.

BMW kit looks good and seams to be a good price, I think I saw 180 for the trousers. Ginny is taking her K13 into CW on Wed to have the hot starting mod done (thanks again for that one Steve) so I'll ask her to have a look.

Dave

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon May 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Hein Gericke was always good Goretex gear (Cruise, Master V etc), and well-priced.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Mon May 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Top cat

BMW stuff regularly comes up on Ebay. The Streetguard suit has just had a revamp so the old model (Streetguard 3) will soon be reduced in main dealers.
I bought my jacket second hand from Ebay - good as new and under 50% of the new cost.
Great jacket.
My wife has the Tour Shell suit - which is a different fabric and better ventilation.

I have also had Dainese stuff which is nice but not as well made as Rukka, Halverssons or BMW in my view.

pays your money and takes your choice....

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon May 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Hein Gericke was available mail order from Das Vaterland - my goretex stuff from them has been really good. Why not incorporate a trip to Germany?(good excuse for a ride out!)
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon May 18, 2015 6:55 pm

I swear by my Gericke goretex gear, it has never let me down even in Scottish weather :wink:
And they are still in business in Glasgow and Belfast
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/

Steve.
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon May 18, 2015 9:18 pm

On another BMW website someone has given the Rev-it Poseidon suit the thumbs up. A bit expensive (£580 jacket £400 pants) about the same as KLIM Badlands but you get the thermal liner unlike KLIM where you have to get your own layers.

You can also look across the pond to Aerostich Roadcrafter that can be bought in either one piece or two piece. Made to measure and you get to choose the colours and a lifetime of customer after sales care.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon May 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Boxered wrote:I swear by my Gericke goretex gear, it has never let me down even in Scottish weather :wink:
And they are still in business in Glasgow and Belfast
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/

Steve.

Thats great news, Steve - I'd genuinely feared that HG were totally kaput.

I've been a long-time fan of their gear - the top end stuff isn't necessarily cheap, but it works seriously well. Another thing I like is that it's designed for a 'Germanic' frame ie folk with long limbs - I've got long arms and whilst being seriously impressed with Rukka kit, their sleeves were always too short for me. That's clearly my fault, not Rukka's (their kit is obviously superb) but the bottom line is it doesn't fit me and may well be worth bearing in mind for other folk.

My HG Master V jacket is 6 years old now and for its first year of use it did the 3-times-weekly Lincoln to London commute (300 mile round trip) in all weathers. Not once was I cold nor wet. The jacket's also been washed several times (in Techwash of course) and re-proofed with no loss of water-repellant quality.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon May 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Lidl. ? Cheap as chips. must be good value, it don't hang around on the shelves long.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:39 pm

Had top of the range Dainese gore-tex jacket 14 years ago which only started to let in water last year on my Scottish trip. To be fair the rain was horizontal at 40 mph for 4 days.
Bit the bullet on my return and remortgaged for a Rukka suit and Daytona boots.
Done two Boxertrix GP's with them so far and they are comfortable warm and totally dry.
The suit comes with a 6 year warranty so it needs to last me for another 14 years to be as good as the Dainese gear, at which point the annual cost doesn't seem too unreasonable.
John M

Return to “Boxerbanter”