Speed with Guy Martin

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Hayden

Speed with Guy Martin

Postby Hayden » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:37 pm

New series back on the box, 1st one last night was maybe not the best but he`s still an entertaining watchable bloke.

Next Sunday holds a bit more promise, a thrash up pikes Peak on a homemade motorcycle, could be worth a watch!

Don`t miss it

Steve

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:33 am

I thought the first one was great! Really enjoyed watching it and learning about things I know nothing about (cycling mainly).
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:12 pm

I can see why it might not be everyone's taste, but that seems a bit harsh, BMbler.

I did enjoy the program and am looking forward to the next one.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Good luck to him.

Not seen the latest shows, but one thing that really annoys with the others is not really any fault of guys. It's the way we have to go over it all again after every advert. An hour long program is actually only half an hours worth.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Corvus wrote:Good luck to him.

Not seen the latest shows, but one thing that really annoys with the others is not really any fault of guys. It's the way we have to go over it all again after every advert. An hour long program is actually only half an hours worth.

Agree with that. Not as bad as the Motorbike Show with Henry Coles though for "tell them what you'll tell them, tell them, tell them what you just told them" approach. His show is close to 10 mins worth in an hour.

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Check out 4OD. There's four short films about Guy. Better than speed I think, especially when he explains how his trailer mounted Merlin engine.... er... "took off"... in his boss's workshop! :D

Really enjoyed speed last week, but next weeks looks very good.
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

Hayden

Re: Speed with Guy Martin

Postby Hayden » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:47 pm

BMbler wrote:
Hayden wrote:New series back on the box, 1st one last night was maybe not the best but he`s still an entertaining watchable bloke.

Next Sunday holds a bit more promise, a thrash up pikes Peak on a homemade motorcycle, could be worth a watch!

Don`t miss it

Steve

How can I put, without turning green or be accused of being senseless ba*tard?...
The first series where just bearable, but this one nearly knocked my socks off as how bloated, uninteresting, badly shot and in general- turn off was
G Martin from being almost top rider, turn TV persona, now turning back in to nothing for meh :roll:

:) Each to their own I guess

Steve

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:01 pm

I thought his weeks offering of Pikes Peak was superb. I did,nt realise the history that surrounds the place, a much bigger event than I had realised. Some of the accidents sure raised the hairs on the back of the neck. I just wished Guy could have got the bike fully dialled in for a full out blast, but a great effort none the less....great tv for me.
kernow,the last bit

gingergeezer

Postby gingergeezer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Thoroughly agree. I like the nonchalant 'take it as it comes' approach which belies his fierce competitive spirit. I watched only one of the first series, speed sledging in the alps, but this Colorado hill climb was epic, dangerous and great viewing despite the long ad breaks on C4 online. Agreed, quite why they couldn't get the bike fully sorted before transporting it all that way, who knows but I like the Fred Dibnah style and them sideburns are something else. The episode with the rebuilt Spitfire looks really good. By 'eck, it were MINT.

Btw, wonder what the real story is on the BMW ride since it seems Martin may have deprived Michael Dunlop for IOM 2015. Strange politics going on here.....

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:43 pm

For a lad who didn't excel at school he is a good role model for youngsters. He has worked hard and tried his best and the rewards have come his way. The TV people obviously commission programmes based on viewers, so the second series is down to the appeal of the first - nothing more or less.

The other stuff like the Spitfire programme just show how versatile his appeal is. Excellent programme for those have not seen it ( not sure that the team, that did 99% of the work would have been on the programme's tile tho' :shock: ).

And the BMW backing for TAS/Tyco could be another real plus for him, although I am not sure he likes the pressure of the uber professional set up. This year he has repeatedly been quoted as saying he liked the Endurance racing he did because it was 'out of the back of a van'.

Although I really hope to see him on the BMW at the TT it would not surprise me if he went elsewhere ( although I think that would cook his goose for ever winning a TT!). Lets hope he can put up with the corporate lunches and stick it out. He was never going to win on the GSXR which is so far past its best. But, lest also not forget that Michael Dunlop put the BMW on different tyres just before the TT ( not the Metzelers BMW had been using), whereas Martin is still using Metzelers - and this could be the difference as M Dunlop was not the fastest out there until he made that change !

Wasn't going to the TT next year but seeing Martin on a BMW and maybe winning is making me re-think.

:D

For me road racing is a great aspect of the sport to follow these days and Martin is a star - no doubt about it.

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Agreed about the tv, a sort of suck it and see as far as ratings. Guy does have that certain something that makes him good on tv and a great advert for a trier.
I,d love him to win a TT and surely with a little smile from lady luck it will happen.
kernow,the last bit

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:24 pm

Just watched the spitfire program and the first two "speed" programs from this series, on TiVo recordings. Great watching. His tv programs just keep getting better.

gingergeezer

Postby gingergeezer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:15 pm

In truly eccentric style, his secret is out; Pork Scratchings.... yes. OK, probably written by some PR wonk but the line about 'proper food, not like lentil and basil soup' (clearly the work of eco-veggie stormtroopers) is funny. I hope BMW don't force him on the curry wurst, he'll go absolutely tonto.

http://www.guymartinracing.co.uk/meet-a ... -mr-porky/

pbikerharry

Postby pbikerharry » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:39 pm

The wifey thinks he's a bit nice and says if you go on his Facebook page a lot of his fans are Ladies. My view on him is great bring it on if he gets bikes on the box more and ups the profile of bikes. Apart from that I think he's a scruffy bastard who needs to clean under his nails every now and again. TOP BLOKE

:D
do you want this Bath Water
1150 GS

Return to “Boxerbanter”