Not a nice video

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

chris1100R

Postby chris1100R » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:31 pm

What's done is done and sadly nothing can change that. My condolences go out to his family and my sincerest thoughts of well being go out to the driver. The only possible good that can come of out of this tragic event is that riders and drivers alike remember it when out on the road. :(

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:08 am

Very nasty. :( really feel for the family, but it was good of them to share the video.

I hope the driving community as a whole take something from it.

What I take from it is this -

Your approaching a junction with cars potentially crossing your path from the right -
Stay left, slow down, get ready to stop or swerve as bet you can, and keep an eye on that approaching car! (almost the opposite of overtaking into the junction!).

I know this anyway, but probably don't apply it as religiously as I could.
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:34 am

Someone on UKGSer looked at the stills from the footage, and determined:

He was doing in excess of 100mph when he overtook the car (while sharing the same lane).

He was still doing app 100mph on impact.

The car driver (the one waiting to turn right) would have dificulty gauging the speed of the bike, but would he have been expecting it to have been doing 100mph??

I've had car-drivers pull out on me (without impact, just a lot of braking) and I've said to myself at the time: "Would he have expected a bike to appear, doing 80mph?"

Answer is "no" - so it's down to me - I feel.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Shocking to watch.

Watched it a few days ago so maybe wrong but I'm not sure the car was actually waiting to turn right but just pulled into the central reservation and then continued across the road without actually stopping.

Agree with Al regarding the approach speed of the bike though but for the driver to state that they did not even see the bike (or the following car) makes the approach speed issue a bit irrelevant.

I did wonder whether the presence of the helmet camera may possibly have had something to do with the way he was riding? Not wanting to cast aspersions about the deceased but was he maybe 'going for it' to make a high speed/adrenalin video?

Either way he made a bad choice and has paid the ultimate price for that choice. I'm sure we have all done something equally as stupid at some time or other when it comes to assuming what a car driver is going to do but have been 'lucky' ...so far!!

A hard way to emphasis road safety but certainly makes you think!

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:06 pm

I've watched it a few times, thinking if it was me, would I have reacted sooner once I saw the car move into the filter lane? Would going slower have helped?

You can see the car move into the filter lane from a few seconds back, and I'd certinatly have slowed from 60/70 to 50 and kept an eye on that car. But at 90+ after an overtake, I think it was too late. :shock:

What I have realised, is no matter how you look at managing the situation once you see a car wanting to turn across your path/moving into the filter lane/put the indicator on, if he'd just noticed (and took action) on the cross roads sign instead of overtaking that car...

My lesson from this it notice and use sinage to my advantage more.
----------------------------------------------

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:34 pm

I don't know whether any of you do this, or indeed if it is of any value, but I frequently "imagine crash scenarios" and "rehearse" my reactions.
Sounds a bit daft I know but I've heard that apparently bike racers do the same thing ( and they crash professionally !! ) - it supposedly helps you to deal with emergencies and process things almost instinctively. I've never tested it and of course hope I never will, but at the very least it keeps the possibilities to the front of your mind.
I expect it's a fantasy of mine, and I know by definition things happen too quickly in reality, but I always decide ( in my imaginary crashes ) that trying to get launched over an impact is preferable to staying low !!
Anyway, I feel it's good to think about the dangers rather than ignoring them because it's difficult to face up to.

BTW Sadly, after all the publicity of this video ( 9 million views now ) and after the huge Essex Air Ambulance rally 2 more bikers died in Norfolk yesterday.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:Shocking to watch.

Watched it a few days ago so maybe wrong but I'm not sure the car was actually waiting to turn right but just pulled into the central reservation and then continued across the road without actually stopping.

Agree with Al regarding the approach speed of the bike though but for the driver to state that they did not even see the bike (or the following car) makes the approach speed issue a bit irrelevant.

I did wonder whether the presence of the helmet camera may possibly have had something to do with the way he was riding? Not wanting to cast aspersions about the deceased but was he maybe 'going for it' to make a high speed/adrenalin video?

Either way he made a bad choice and has paid the ultimate price for that choice. I'm sure we have all done something equally as stupid at some time or other when it comes to assuming what a car driver is going to do but have been 'lucky' ...so far!!

A hard way to emphasis road safety but certainly makes you think!

DT

The camera/speed was something identified by some on UKGSer also - and may be a valid point.

Sometimes a driver concentrates on the turn to the exclusion of re-checking that the opposite lane is still clear to cross. I've found myself having to actually drag my concentration back to the road ahead when I have been doing that manoeuvre.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Shocking video. Very sad for all involved and actually made me think twice about taking the bike out the day after I watched it.

My initial reaction remains the same; he was riding way too fast for that section of road, and didn't give himself any kind of margin for error.

What seems so awful about it is it just shows how fragile we are. The Go-Pro keeps running but that human life is snuffed out in an instant, and the lives of those around will never be the same. I find that quite hard to deal with.

Must admit (and I suppose this shows that perhaps for me it's done some good) is I'm thinking about doing some advanced training to make myself safer. I've had some crashes over the years and got away lightly, but I'm aware that my hobby is dangerous.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:35 pm

No matter how much training or rehearsing (sounds a bit fateful) you do you can always be on your side of the road approaching a bend but invariably there at some time is going to be a nobber heading straight for you. Motorcycling is a high risk mode of transport. Day by day I become more aware of my mortality and my enthusiasm for riding wanes. Situations like this amplify loud and clear the risks we take and the dangers we face.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Gromit got it bang on. Way too much speed into hazard.
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Bender

Postby Bender » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Agree with most of what's been written, must have been difficult for the family to put the video out, but the fact is, the rider was travelling much too fast for the situation.

Maybe the car driver was disorientated, confused or whatever, most likely not paying attention, and while I'm not defending him or her, the bike would have been upon them in nanoseconds.

Horrible for all concerned.
2011 Harley-Davidson FLD Switchback - yeah, I know. I've always wanted one though...

Return to “Boxerbanter”