How do I send a route from Garmin Zumo via e-mail

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

ianc53

How do I send a route from Garmin Zumo via e-mail

Postby ianc53 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:45 am

Not sure if Boxerbanter is best place to post this but I'm looking for the expertise of Boxertrix to help me.

Off on holiday to Italy with Chris and Simon on Friday and I've created a couple of routes in my Navigator IV (a rebadged Garmin Zumo 600). How can I e-mail the routes to them?

Spent quite some the on the net but getting nowhere, I'm sure the 'trixsters know how though.

Thanks

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:22 am

I'm guessing that you are using Basecamp?

Are the routes on Basecamp, or just on the zumo?

If on Basecamp, do the following:

Select the routes (Ctrl + left click)

Left click on "File" - "Export" - and follow the instructions.

Garmin writes it like this:

Exporting Data

You can export items from your Library in the following formats.
•Garmin GPS Database (.gdb)
•GPS Exchange Format (.gpx)
•Garmin Training Center (.tcx)
•Comma-Separated Values (.csv)
•Text (.txt)

To export data:
1.Click a list or device from which you want to export data. To export all data in the Library, click My Collection.
2.Optionally, click certain items you want to export. To select multiple items, hold Ctrl on your keyboard, and click the items. NOTE: You cannot export overlays.
3.Click File > Export.•Click Export [Name] to export all items in the selected list or folder.
•Click Export Selection to export only the selected items.

4.Browse to a list where you want to save the file, select a file format, and type a file name.
5.Click Save.

The file containing your exported data can be transferred to another computer or imported into other Garmin software.

If you only have the routes on your Zumo - two choices:

1) Upload to Basecamp and do the above routine
2) Wait until you are together, and use the "share" option and pass him the micro-SD card to import the routes and the waypoints.

HTH

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:30 am

Thanks Al, that's fantastic service :)
I do have the routes on Basecamp so I'll try that. Part of the problem is I'm a rank beginner on Basecamp. In the end I created the routes on the Zumo and then imported them into Basecamp but they came across as a single file I think.
Got to do a few other things first - the removal mean are here in the morning. Trying to organise holiday and move at the same time has its challenges!

Cheers

ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:34 am

You're welcome.

Basecamp is daunting until you sit and have a play with it - then it all makes sense and you realise it is far better than mapsource.

You can see all your routes on the map at once, separate UK from EU routes, colour them differently etc.

I'm a convert.

Al :D

See if that works .....

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks Al, files now sent. Whether they can read them or not is another question!

A friend who is a Basecamp fan was showing me what it can do and I was impressed. Unfortunately it was some months ago so I felt I was starting from scratch.

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:31 pm

A useful program to have is TYRE travel. You can plan routes in Basecamp, or Google maps, import to TYRE, then the route can be converted to a file for whatever GPS device you use. These files can easily be emailed. Alternatively you can plan the route in TYRE, export to Google maps and send the link via email. I use mine in conjunction with ITN converter because the phone uses an app called Sygic. For this you need a .itf file. The TYRE file is then converted to this file which I upload to the itinerary folder within the Sygic app. Just make sure the route has a name eg. day 1 alpine tour. The same can be done with a GPS device.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:58 am

That's really useful. I never cease to be amazed at the collective knowledge and wisdom of the Boxertrixsters - even if as individuals it's not always that apparent :wink:

Thanks

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:37 am

where are you heading in Italy Ian? if you're close by Parma, Reggio, Bologna, drop me a PM, can show you some 'interesting' roads! and I'll be around in the next couple of weeks... oh, the weather has been bloody awful here mate, bring wet weather stuff..

Ty

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi Ty, Saturday Zeebrugge to Black Forest, Sunday on to the Dolomites for 3 nights (Santa Christina Di Val Gardena), then to Lake Como (Mezzegra) for 2 nights (via Stelvio) before back up to Nancy for a night and then back to Zeebrugge. So we do have a couple of days to fill if that works for you at all.

Cheers

ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 pm

I always number the routes, so that they appear in the correct order and it us clear which routes have been transferred to other units.

For route to S.France:

01-Edinburgh -Hull
02-Zebrugge- St Germain
03-St Germain- Castellane

and for daily runs:

R01- G de Verdon Loop CW 225km
R02- Allos - La Bonnette 305km

Etc...

I also print out possible day runs from Basecamp which makes it easy gor the group to see and agree the day's choice and what to do later in the week.

Al. :D

See if that works .....

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:47 pm

ianc53 wrote:Hi Ty, Saturday Zeebrugge to Black Forest, Sunday on to the Dolomites for 3 nights (Santa Christina Di Val Gardena), then to Lake Como (Mezzegra) for 2 nights (via Stelvio) before back up to Nancy for a night and then back to Zeebrugge. So we do have a couple of days to fill if that works for you at all.

Cheers

ian

if you're in Como, then you're a couple of hours from us here. google maps Villa Minozzo (emilia Romangna) and that is 10km from where I am. If you fancy a bit of proper Italy away from the tourist nonsense, PM me fella and I'll let you have a number, you can sms me. I could hook a couple of days maybe that week. there are some places to stay quite close. food is awesome and like I say, some pretty good roads to explore. http://www.leboccede.it/ we get quite a good deal here.. bear in mind it's August though :shock: safe travels...

Ty

Return to “Boxerbanter”