?? Snobs or what ?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

GerryB

?? Snobs or what ?

Postby GerryB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Today I had to pop down to Merthyr Tydfil to meet a chap & collect a scope .

So , as any normal (?) chap I took the bike & went the long way there & back .

But almost every BMW GS Boxer twin I passed, I was totally ignored....

No nodding head, no wave nothing ....

Just a death grip on the bars & stare straight ahead .....

Odd that .

Because almost every wanna be racer nods, almost all the Harley boys wave / nod , even the trail bike riders, L platers & scooters nod / wave or what ever .

I'm certain that none of the members on here would be guilty of ignoring a fellow Boxer rider .

I wondered if its because I am not "posh" enough dressed ?

Old leather pants , boots , gloves , a 10 year old padded & armoured enduro jacket , and a plain shiny black full face helmet ...

No knee sliders .....

I have no idea .

Kinda sad , that you can be popping along an almost deserted road, the be totally ignored by 3 or 4 boxer GS riders ...

O maybe I'm an odd ball ....

:( :( :(
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

StrokeB

Postby StrokeB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:51 pm

When I started riding it was because it was the only affordable way of becoming independent for many people such as me.
With it came old unreliable machinery which needed constant fettling which was both fun and a pain at the same time but most importantly you met like minded people who became friends because they faced the same challenges as you, you helped strangers and hoped and did get helped by others when needed.
A different breed of rider exists now, riders who can easily afford expensive bikes as toys and never think of wielding a spanner, that is fine, I do not mind them as they still have the common risks experienced by riding and society has to keep changing.
But a nod of acknowledgement to kindred spirits riding is a such a small but important way of accepting we are all in the same club and I do not mean Boxertrix but the club of riding two wheeled iron horses along the Queens highway with all that that entails.
Having travelled widely I have come to conclusion that all people no matter what nationality, religion or status are equal, we all face the struggles of life and we will all in the end die, we should, in my humble opinion, always help others along their journey of life rather like other bikers did when I was young. :-)
Bryan
"Whatsoever rightly done, no matter how humble, is noble"
SOLD but not forgotten 1999 R1100S
1970 T120

big rob

Re: ?? Snobs or what ?

Postby big rob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:04 am

GerryB wrote:Today I had to pop down to Merthyr Tydfil to meet a chap & collect a scope .

Odd that .

Because almost every wanna be racer nods, almost all the Harley boys wave / nod , even the trail bike riders, L platers & scooters nod / wave or what ever .

I'm certain that none of the members on here would be guilty of ignoring a fellow Boxer rider .

Old leather pants , boots , gloves , a 10 year old padded & armoured enduro jacket , and a plain shiny black full face helmet ...

No knee sliders .....

I have no idea .

Kinda sad , that you can be popping along an almost deserted road, the be totally ignored by 3 or 4 boxer GS riders ...

I do believe there is a GS owners "club" where they call each other TOSSERS??????

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:24 am

big rob wrote:
GerryB wrote:Today I had to pop down to Merthyr Tydfil to meet a chap & collect a scope .

Odd that .

No knee sliders .....

I have no idea .

I do believe there is a GS owners "club" where they call each other TOSSERS??????

Indeed and most appropriate too. :roll: I must confess I did have a GS for a few months , and apart from the fact that it was ridiculously big , I felt like a pariah :( Its the image that everyone hates and GS riders certainly conform to. I think they sleep with Wunderlich catalogues under their pillows and go to the shops looking like an escapee from a tv travel documentary.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:48 am

Hey, I have a GS, and I'm most definitely a tosser but I still nod at everyone :lol:
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

ned1

Postby ned1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 am

The bigger there GS boxes are the higher up the food chain they think they are.

[smilie=biker.gif]
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport
Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

Davey Bee

Postby Davey Bee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 am

These last few years I've spent 99% of my time riding alone, traveling the length and breath of the country. But being on my bike as meant that I've never been alone. Whenever I've stopped there have been other bikers willing to spend a few minutes of their life with me. They have come from top to bottom of the food chain, but all have been friendly, interesting but above all enthusiastic. This is one of the few presuits in this country where your bank statement or social position plays no part in the people you associate with. To illustrate this a few week end ago I was talking to a couple of guys in Bridgenorth that were riding bikes that needed a £100 spending on them to qualify as rat bikes. Within that week I was at the Ace speaking to a fellow that had just spent £54,000 on his Ducati, all three were interesting enthusiass with some great stories.
Being a biker is not about the bike you can afford, if they don't get that then they've missed the experience, their loss!

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 am

You are quite right Davey , but unfortunately as bikers we are dreadful at categorising various sections of the community such as GS wannabes, Harley Fergusons, crotch rockets etc etc. At the end of the day we are all bike enthusiasts one way or the other.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:46 pm

eyore wrote:You are quite right Davey , but unfortunately as bikers we are dreadful at categorising various sections of the community such as GS wannabes, Harley Fergusons, crotch rockets etc etc. At the end of the day we are all bike enthusiasts one way or the other.

Yes , we do categorise, but in my case not with any malice , just as a way of identifying the group they fall into .

When we road 2 stroke Off Road bikes we were called stink wheels ...

But I don't care what you ride, a fellow 2 wheel jockey out there deserves a wave , nod or light flash .

Just some of the community believe they are above that social nicety .
Old man ... now .

Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:18 pm

eyore wrote:
big rob wrote:anna be racer nods, almost all the Harley boys wave / nod

I think they sleep with Wunderlich catalogues under their pillows and go to the shops looking like an escapee from a tv travel documentary.

I have a copy of "Razzle" and "Readers' Wives" under my pillow.........

"My name is Al - and I'm a Tosser!"

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Blackal wrote:[
I have a copy of "Razzle" and "Readers' Wives" under my pillow.........

"My name is Al - and I'm a Tosser!"

Al :D

:lol: :lol:

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Rossy1100S

Postby Rossy1100S » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:34 pm

I'll nod at you the next time our paths may cross, there's nearly as many Gs's on the Boxertrix weekends as there are 1100/1200's I think!

I know what you mean though as I now also ride a GSA, I nod to other bikers and get ignored as well, so it does work both ways!

I also leave my big boxes in the garage until I really need them and this has the added benefit of providing more space to store my Wunderlich and Touratech brochures :D

cheers, Geoff

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:57 pm

I have found the most consistant non wavers / nodders to be Goldwing owners who only seem to wave at other Goldwings.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:25 pm

eyore wrote:I think they sleep with Wunderlich catalogues under their pillows

I do have a Touratech catalog in the bathroom does that count? :lol:

To be fair I mainly just laugh at how useless most of it is, especially the protector protectors.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Tapio

Postby Tapio » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 pm

In Gothenburg, there's a lot of supermotard riders. Most of them don't wave. Why not? My guess is they don't fel that they are a part of a motorcyklist community. They have grown toog old for skateboards, but still want a fun tool to play around with. That's all.
They don't feel that they have anything common with Me. So Why would they wave av Me?
It's really nothing to be offended by.
R1100S '04
K100RS '90
GSX1100 (1327cc) '81
Lada Niva '12
CCDV '72

Return to “Boxerbanter”