Getting noticed

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

metropolis2k

Getting noticed

Postby metropolis2k » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:53 pm

When I was sold the Boxer Cup I was told by the previous owner "get used to the attention it draws".

I'd have a bit of it already, mainly people having a look at it in a car park of a biker cafe, usually people who knew the S though. It got a few looks on a recent trackday but nothing unusual (I had an S before and it attracted the same attention).

Anyway, riding to a mate's today I was sat at some lights and heard a noise to my right - I looked over and a couple of guys in a lorry were taking a picture of the bike. "She's beautiful!" they said, "Sounds good too" I replied and blipped the throttle. All I got in reply was "Fucking hell" :shock:

Made my day 8)
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Hello,

Once upon a time I was heading into the Blackwall Tunnel in SE London on my much cherished 1980 Laverda Jota. I was ambling through trying to keep the noise down...Difficult!, when I came alongside a Met Police Land rover. The driver obviously knew his motorcycles and was gesticulating at me to "give it some beans" which I duly did. It did make an awesome noise. When they caught up with me all I got was big thumbs up and thankfully no ticket. It would seem some Policemen are human!!

I have since sold it (at a vast profit!) and now just have my R1200S on open Remus pipes which believe it or not does not make the noise of the mighty Jota.

Happy days

Best regards,

David
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Glad under the uniform they still appreciate the sound of a lovely bike! :D
2000 BMW R1150GS

Skybone

Postby Skybone » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 am

Did a BikeSafe course a few years back, and was a wee bit concerned about my "not exactly whisper quiet" exhaust. Thankfully, there were a few others with slightly exuberant cans, all with the same concern, however, all we got was "sounds nice" from the guys running the course. :lol:
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care...

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:45 am

I realised on a recent holiday to Brantome on my BCR with the decat and laser exhaust - just how loud the exhaust was :shock:

The accommodation we had, had an underground carpark - revving the engine in there was deafening!

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:12 am

Blackal wrote:I realised on a recent holiday to Brantome on my BCR with the decat and laser exhaust - just how loud the exhaust was :shock:

The accommodation we had, had an underground carpark - revving the engine in there was deafening!

Al :D

Ah yes I'm familiar with that one too :lol: Mine lives in an underground carpark and I think I've set off a car alarm a few times by riding past!
2000 BMW R1150GS

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:55 pm

When I was sold the Boxer Cup I was told by the previous owner "get used to the attention it draws".

Random stuff they asked me over the years:

- is that the 1000RR? (yes mate, just missing two cylinders)
- amazing, is that the one that races superbike (yes mate, and I use it to go shopping at Sainsbury's with panniers on)
- cool bike, top speed? (yes mate, not much. Especially with me on top)
- cool bike, how much does it cost? (I fucking hate when people ask "how much")

apart from this, as I told you, same story. A lot of people love it.
I had one guy in central London ages ago, asking for the colour codes... because he wanted to paint his bike (I think F800) the same.

It is the best "special" bike livery BMW ever released (by special I am excluding R90S' and company). The only other cool one is the Powercup one. And the GS/PD obviously.

I never really liked the HP2 motorsport livery to be honest...

It's funny how people might ignore a standard R1100S (that is still today a beautiful bike) and are blinded by the colours of the BCR instead.

It does sound fucking lovely though.

Remember to always park or stop next to you from now on when we both go out on the "sportsbikes"... hahah
R1150R '03 (in pieces)
R1200GS '07 Adv
HP2 Sport '11
[I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

mrjon

Postby mrjon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:45 am

Whenever I go to Matlock on a Sunday for my pasti and chips I've noticed it's the BCR that gets the most attention and photos taken, followed a little bit behind by the HP2.The HP 4 goes mainly unnoticed !
GSA lc
HP4 carbon
HP2 sport
BCR

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:57 am

mrjon wrote:Whenever I go to Matlock on a Sunday for my pasti and chips I've noticed it's the BCR that gets the most attention and photos taken, followed a little bit behind by the HP2.The HP 4 goes mainly unnoticed !

I was just thinking you hang around with guys who own some nice bikes then saw your signature :shock: What a garage! 8)
2000 BMW R1150GS

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:06 pm

Haven't driven the HP2 on the road yet, but I agree with mrjon... pretty sure people won't notice it that much.
I'm sort of glad.
R1150R '03 (in pieces)

R1200GS '07 Adv

HP2 Sport '11

mrjon

Postby mrjon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:39 pm

I think unless they're a BMW enthusiast not too many people are that familiar with the HP2, and don't know exactly what it is. If they get near and spot the ohlins and acres of carbon they get intrigued I've noticed. The BCR however draws people in with its paint scheme and physical size. My black R12S used to get a fair bit of attention as well.I don't mind the bikes getting the attention, but I myself prefer to fade into the background content,sat eating my pasti and chips while looking at everyone else's bikes.
GSA lc

HP4 carbon

HP2 sport

BCR

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:35 pm

The marshalls in the pitlane at Snetterton got interested in the HP2 after a while.

One of the last sessions, while waiting at the lights for the previous group to get back in the paddock, they started asking me what it was :D
"Is it some sort of a limited series? Never seen a boxer like this".

Last year, when at Brands Hatch with the BCR instead, the tyre guy was adjusting pressure, started peeking at the bike and then at the Ohlins shocks and everything hidden by the fairings and came up with "nice piece of kit you have here, you should be enjoying this track".
That was cool, since every other bike around that day was at least 50kg lighter and with 50bhp more at least :D

I don't hide that I might be a massive wanker and it's nice when people chat you up about the bike.
What annoyed me when I had the boxercup, and this happened a lot, is random people showing up saying: "nice bike, mate, is it expensive?" especially when you are in sketchy areas of London :D :D :D

Well... that's metropolis2k's thing now, since he got my BCR. :P
R1150R '03 (in pieces)

R1200GS '07 Adv

HP2 Sport '11

Return to “Boxerbanter”