Versys 650

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Versys 650

Postby Gromit » Tue May 13, 2014 9:45 am

Anyone own/owned/had a go on one of these?

After over 7.5 years with the Blackbird I really fancy a change of bike. That's not to say I don't enjoy riding the old beast - we had a rather shakey start, something along the lines of 'why the hell do people like these?' Living with it though I've grown to love this bike, but to be honest now it's just so unecessary and I'd probably enjoy bimbling around on something with...

1. Less power
2. More comfort
3. More fun-factor on back roads (of which there are absolutely loads in Lincs)
4. Better fuel economy

The Versys appeals because I quite like the look of them, the motor seems proven, and out with a friend a while ago (who owns an ER-6) it's not exactly short of real-world zip. Cheap too, and Kwak have some very good 0% deals on at the moment.

Thanks all.

Of course there's also the Honda NC700X but something in me just thinks 'no' when I see one.

Or....

I could just think 'fuggit' and buy Big Rob's gorgeous 11S. 8)

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 am

M8 of mine has one great bike very capable nippy good handling good 2up carries luggage, went to SofFrance couple of years ago with them on it and full luggage.

The Honda though good is gutless, runs out of puff going up hills lol but does return good fuel economy.

But just get the 11s Richard you know it makes sense :wink:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 am

popsky wrote:

+1 you know it makes sense :D

Peter.

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue May 13, 2014 12:51 pm

herrman wrote:
popsky wrote:

+1 you know it makes sense :D

Peter.

+1 :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Tue May 13, 2014 3:44 pm

I used to have the ER6F which is the same engine. Mine was a 2006 and I know they made a few changes to subsequent models.

I thought the engine was very good. As you say it had real world zip and was comfortable enough on motorways too. It did suffer from some vibration issues with the fairing and the footpegs but I believe they've changed the way the engine is mounted which resolves this.

The only other weak spots were suspension and brakes both being a bit wooden. It's expected given the price and I'm sure there's upgrades you could do to improve it.

The only other thing I found is that they're actually quite tall. I only ever sat on one when I had the ER6 and I now have a GS and a Boxer Cup so it might not feel tall anymore to me but I remember at the time thinking it was.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue May 13, 2014 5:35 pm

I ran an 07 from new for 20k miles and it was used as a second bike, mainly for two up use and often loaded with throw overs. The bike coped really well with this, surprisingly well given its cc and power. It manages to make full use of the 60 odd ponies very well. I agree with a lot metropolis says, although the engine is (or was in 07) in a lower state of tune than the er6.

It is a fun bike to ride.

The brakes are probably the bikes main weak spot. Reasonable braking power solo but feeling sometimes stretched when fully loaded. Didn't trouble me too much as I don't lean on the brakes heavily. They need regular stripping and cleaning. The screen also caused me some buffeting. A vario screen helped but did not cure.

Er indoors liked the pillion riding position, especially the generous distance down to the footpegs. Achieved because the bike is A) tall and B) has no "silencers".

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue May 13, 2014 5:40 pm

I had one Richard - 8000 very happy miles on it. Nippy, took me and me ex up the M74 easliy at a ton - that was a combined weight of 30 stones - she was a fat ba$tard!! I used to get 200 miles out of a tank using it for work 20 miles each way. If they are doing offers on the touring version get that - you get an MRA screen and Givi panniers with it. Service intervals are only 4000 miles (second service is 7500 and it was expensive - or at least I thought it was at a tad under £300). And if you do get one and you have a Famsa tank bag, I have a base which you can have cheap :wink: . But as others have said, just buy it - I don't think you will be disappointed
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue May 13, 2014 6:02 pm

haven't ridden the Versys. Have heard nothing but good stuff about them.
Not sure if your big frame would be suited.

I would strongly recommend a go on an NC. Yes they don't have loads of welly and redline at 6K revs, but they are a great ride. Very low centre of gravity. handle sweetly and cheap as chips to run. The dummy tank is a god send.
Might be even better now they have upped the capacity to 750.

I'd def be looking at something new and different.
My 0.02p
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue May 13, 2014 6:54 pm

dave the german wrote: Nippy, took me and me ex up the M74 easliy at a ton - that was a combined weight of 30 stones - she was a fat ba$tard!

That made my evening Dave I nearly did piss myself :lol: :lol: :lol:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

davida67

Postby davida67 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:59 pm

I bought a Versys when I was commuting to work every day after my GS packed up and needed something in a hurry. I had previously thought it looked pretty good and all the reviews at the time were very positive. I fitted a top box, heated grips and scot oiler. It did everything I asked of it and was terrific fun to ride. Personally I think it's a little gem and although I appreciate some don't like it's appearance I think it looks terrific. It did struggle a bit 2-up with luggage, but then to be honest we're not exactly lightweights. It was always the kind of bike I was more than happy to ride in any weather - a great little all rounder!
"It's just a ride!"

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Tue May 13, 2014 8:17 pm

dave the german wrote:Nippy, took me and me ex up the M74 easliy at a ton - that was a combined weight of 30 stones - she was a fat ba$tard!!

:lol:

And in contrast I weigh just about 11 stone and saw it to 130 once :wink:
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue May 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks for the input guys - it's really appreciated, espesh from the folks who've done some miles on the bike.

What does appeal is that it's relatively cheap (I could just about stretch to a new one), isn't going to cost an arm & a leg to run, and there's always something quite satisfying about wragging the spuds off a small(ish) bike as opposed to just scratching the surface of a powerful one. The upright riding position appeals too, and I've no doubt it'll be quite easy to throw around.

The BB's an awesome bit of kit and there has been many a time when its power has made up for my total lack of skill. Of course there are more many powerful bikes out there than the 'Bird but very few, if any, make 150+bhp so easy, even un-threatening to use. The downside now is that with my new job (which involves driving) I really cannot afford to put my license at risk so a smaller bike for just blatting around on would be perfect.

I'll see if the Kwak dealer in Lincoln has a demo Versys and pop up there on friday.

big rob

Postby big rob » Wed May 14, 2014 4:56 am

Looks like we'll be holding onto the 11S for a bit longer then :wink:

As Bigblackfalco points out; don't rule out the Honda NC750X if you're gonna be test riding new bikes. We've got one and are well chuffed with it.
You're as lanky as moi Richard, have a seat on the Versys 650's big brother when you're at your local Kawasaki dealer, it's a very comfortable machine but sadly doesn't offer the fuel economy of the 650 and deffo not the Honda NC750X
Good luck in your search,

Rob & Gail :D

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed May 14, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks Rob - yes, your 11S would be a lovely choice amd tbh if I was 100% committed to 'going S' again I'd have it in a heartbeat. My favourite colour too.

I'll nip over to Grantham Honda on friday and have a look over the NC750X as they have a large demo fleet.

The baby Versys still appeals more for some reason though, and used v low mileage ones do seem cheap (ie well south of £5k). Still, I've not ridden either yet so it's purely down to 'showroom appeal' at the moment.

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed May 14, 2014 9:09 am

Gromit wrote:Thanks Rob - yes, your 11S would be a lovely choice amd tbh if I was 100% committed to 'going S' again I'd have it in a heartbeat. My favourite colour too.

I'll nip over to Grantham Honda on friday and have a look over the NC750X as they have a large demo fleet.

The baby Versys still appeals more for some reason though, and used v low mileage ones do seem cheap (ie well south of £5k). Still, I've not ridden either yet so it's purely down to 'showroom appeal' at the moment.

Take a spin out on the 700/800GS's too Richard you may get drawn in too :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”