Cheaper tax ...?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:55 am

67mpg?!

Jesus.

I never get over 40mpg from the Boxer, and the Pan is high 30s right now.

That's not caning it everywhere, but it's not riding like a nun, either.

Even so... if we take bike emissions and apply current car rates, then we'll at least double what we currently pay.

And I really wouldn't want bikes to have to employ all the emissions controls cars currently have.

BMW may be better than the Japs - but you're never going to get 200bhp / litre for under 99g/km.
Fucked Off!

Phil Thomas

Postby Phil Thomas » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 am

Most e-petitions are ill thought out...luckily nobody takes any notice of them.

Regards to all,
Phil Thomas

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:56 am

I don't know much about this, but surely the figures derived for cars will be under certain test conditions. Will the bikes be tested under the same conditions? If the speed is relatively low bikes should return a good mpg.

I thought the vfr has v Tec?

I won't be signing the petition either way.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Unless things have changed, cars are tested on a rolling road.

This is bad news for bikes as far as I can see? How would that show a bikes strengths? Narrow frontal area (so low drag at normal road speeds) Low rolling resistance. Fantastic power to weight ratio.

It's a joke.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Twinspark wrote:Are you all bloody stupid?

No, but for me? on occasions maybe :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:08 pm

I actually think we have it lucky. Ok, so bikes are not free, or very cheap, like some small cars, but £78 for even the biggest bikes is not bad in comparison to some!

I have a friend with a Cosworth, it comes out a handful of times for very limited miles, and even though he only taxes it for 6 months it still costs a bomb. Ok, it might be a gas guzzler, but it's not guzzling gas when it's not moving.

The only fair way is to get rid of it and put the duty on fuel. That way, if you use it, you pay for it. (The amount of duty we pay on fuel is a whole different argument).
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Twinspark wrote:67mpg?!

Jesus.

I never get over 40mpg from the Boxer, and the Pan is high 30s right now.

That's not caning it everywhere, but it's not riding like a nun, either.

Even so... if we take bike emissions and apply current car rates, then we'll at least double what we currently pay.

And I really wouldn't want bikes to have to employ all the emissions controls cars currently have.

BMW may be better than the Japs - but you're never going to get 200bhp / litre for under 99g/km.

Honda have been particularly poor at MPG over the last few years, from tests I've read the VTR1000 and it's stablemate the Varadero have a hideous reputation for mileage, add in increasingly smaller fuel tanks on some and the usefullness, from my point of view is poor.

The 67 mpg was simply running the K at the legal limit on the cruise control on the motorway, that particular day I got near enough 300 miles from the tank :)

Suprised your R11S is only getting 40, I thought the general average is 45 plus from previous discussions here.

I seem to recall my mate Andy reckoning on high mileages >65 mpg from his F800ST

one thing I do know ... I never say never :) When you see the performance (speed and mileage) levels we have nowadays who knows what will happen in the future?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Herb wrote:I actually think we have it lucky. Ok, so bikes are not free, or very cheap, like some small cars, but £78 for even the biggest bikes is not bad in comparison to some!

The only fair way is to get rid of it and put the duty on fuel. That way, if you use it, you pay for it. (The amount of duty we pay on fuel is a whole different argument).

Agree

And

Agree

fatnfast

Postby fatnfast » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Hang on a mo, I did do a little keyboard reserch just as everybody else has on here, so maybe I'm still stupid but......

Have a look here: http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/252523.html

Our beloved R1100S will fall into the £30 per year tax band according to this German site. :D

The VFR would still cost over a hundred sovs, but hey, its a Honda :D

And the same goes for them gas guzzling K1200GT's :wink:
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/142480.html

However, these figures, just like most on the internet are proberbly inaccurate and made up. Heres where I suspect the guy who raised the pertion got his from:

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_vfr_800_1999.php

I suspect the manufactures will eventually have to provide accurate details.

Although I'm sure it counts for squat when the Govt/EU decide all these emission testing rules, but the 'carbon footprint' should maybe consider the actual manufacturing and shipping to destination costs.
Last edited by fatnfast on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
03 Boxer Cup
02 1150gs
98 r1100rt - work bike
81 Yam RD250LC
81 suzuki GSX250
81 Honda MT5
A rottweiler garage alarm called Buster :-)

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 am

fatnfast wrote:?..................However, these figures, just like most on the internet are proberbly inaccurate and made up. Heres where I suspect the guy who raised the pertion got his from:

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_vfr_800_1999.php

The bikez fuel consumption figures are all over the place. Pinch of salt?

I'm not finding it very funny.

Volunteering for more control.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:48 am

Harry Lime wrote:

Did any of you bother to check the facts before signing?

Well said. But expecting people to read the frikkin' small print or consider the consequences is usually too much to ask.

Looks good, so I'll sign it. Phwooerr, I can save a couple of bob 'ere!

That petition could easily have been put up by someone who hates loud, i.e. aftermarket exhaust, motorcycles.

Glad I've got my "cat" bubble wrapped in the attic.

Bye bye Laser :-(

H.

What does a "cat" do?

fatnfast

Postby fatnfast » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 am

Corvus wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

Well said. But expecting people to read the frikkin' small print or consider the consequences is usually too much to ask.

That petition could easily have been put up by someone who hates loud, i.e. aftermarket exhaust, motorcycles.

H.

What does a "cat" do?

A cat will actually increase CO2 emissions. Part of its function is to convert the harmful to us CO into CO2. Removes other toxic stuff as well though. For maxiumum benefits vehicles therefore also need to be as economical as possible.
03 Boxer Cup

02 1150gs

98 r1100rt - work bike

81 Yam RD250LC

81 suzuki GSX250

81 Honda MT5

A rottweiler garage alarm called Buster :-)

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:17 pm

fatnfast wrote:
Corvus wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

H.

What does a "cat" do?

A cat will actually increase CO2 emissions. Part of its function is to convert the harmful to us CO into CO2. Removes other toxic stuff as well though. For maxiumum benefits vehicles therefore also need to be as economical as possible.

I'm sensing a degree of irony here.

Couldn't they have decided to convert the stuff into something useful? Like beer.

ned1

Postby ned1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 pm

Done :wink:
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport
Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

Return to “Boxerbanter”