The end of motorcycle dealers

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bikesnbones

The end of motorcycle dealers

Postby bikesnbones » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 am

I just read the NMDA stats on sales for this year, and it’s pretty gloomy.
There was a slight spike in June, but it’s fallen dramatically again.
I was talking to a dealer about this, who reckoned dealerships could become a thing of the past.
Word in the trade is that some importers are looking into setting up strategically placed centres (South, Midlands and North), where each will have a fleet of demo bikes.
The customer would turn up, test ride the bike of his / her choice and ride it home from there.
Part exchanges would be farmed back out to the trade.
By cutting out the dealers, bike prices could be reduced, which is a big part of the problem with sales at the moment.
Then they would appoint independent garages all over the country as authorized service centres.
It’s servicing, clothing and parts where dealers make most of their money anyway.
I can see the logic.
I mean I know someone who rode 250 miles to buy a new Blade at a grand cheaper than a dealer 2 miles away was offering.
I’ve done it myself.
People are prepared to travel for the right deal and we bikers are always looking for an excuse for a good ride out somewhere.
I guess this is a sign of how desperate things are at the moment.

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:30 pm

the manufacturers need to get some loss leaders out there in the form of small capacity bikes (quality ones not the cheap Chinese dross that's filled the market gap) for commuters and youngsters. The options nowadays compared to when I was starting for new riders are awful, no wonder they jump straight to a horrendously priced car and insurance costs.

.. and given the fuel costs at present, let's have less focus on uber performance and more focus on economy, especially for commuter style bikes.

For instance the old CG125 Honda, in my honest opinion one of the best, if not the best, bikes ever built. Simple, reliable, tough, awesome MPG. That's what's needed for a commuter.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:05 pm

slparry wrote:the manufacturers need to get some loss leaders out there in the form of small capacity bikes (quality ones not the cheap Chinese dross that's filled the market gap) for commuters and youngsters.

A lot of the cheap chinese dross has Honda written on the tank now.
My local dealers had to rebuild the engines of three of them so far.
As for the CG125.
I agree, it's a noble machine, but it's from the ark, and you can't blame people if they want something that looks a bit more up to date, even in the commuter market.

sandbar

Re: The end of motorcycle dealers

Postby sandbar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:56 pm

bikesnbones wrote:...........who reckoned dealerships could become a thing of the past.
Not going to happen - but who owns and controls the dealerships, and where they are situated, will certainly change.

bikesnbones wrote:By cutting out the dealers, bike prices could be reduced, which is a big part of the problem with sales at the moment.
IMO you have missed the point. They will not reduce the prices - the manufacturers want to keep the dealer margins for themselves. How many reduced price Mercedes Benz cars did you see once MB opened a few of their own large dealerships.

bikesnbones wrote:It’s servicing, clothing and parts where dealers make most of their money anyway.
And that is another slice of the cake that the manufacturers want for themselves

bikesnbones wrote:I mean I know someone who rode 250 miles to buy a new Blade at a grand cheaper than a dealer 2 miles away was offering.
The manufacturers call that situation "disorderly marketing". It is one of the situations that they want to completely eliminate, and if they can control the dealerships then they will.

sandbar

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 pm

I agree with all that you guys are saying, the trouble is, that unlike when we were young, motorbikes to the majority of the youth are not seen as `cool`, where-as your pimped up Saxo 1.0 is... :shock:...they`ve been playing car games for years by the time they are 16/17

fashion will come around again I dare say, but my 17 year old would not be seen dead on a bike, nor any of his army of mates, I wish I was wrong and I generalise a bit here but the sheer fact of the matter is they don`t want them... :?

were the victims of our own success?...the average lad see`s a geezer on a GSXR or what ever turn up, takes his lid of, and its an old bloke....like one of us :wink: ....not something they aspire too, a bit different to the picture painted to the yuoff in the seventies/eighties when a spotty kid could blast around on an RD..

bikesnbones

Re: The end of motorcycle dealers

Postby bikesnbones » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

sandbar wrote:IMO you have missed the point.

Hey I'm just passing on what a dealer told me.
I haven't a clue how it all works, but presumably he does ?

fatnfast

Postby fatnfast » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Hayden wrote:I agree with all that you guys are saying, the trouble is, that unlike when we were young, motorbikes to the majority of the youth are not seen as `cool`, where-as your pimped up Saxo 1.0 is... :shock:...they`ve been playing car games for years by the time they are 16/17

fashion will come around again I dare say, but my 17 year old would not be seen dead on a bike, nor any of his army of mates, I wish I was wrong and I generalise a bit here but the sheer fact of the matter is they don`t want them... :?

were the victims of our own success?...the average lad see`s a geezer on a GSXR or what ever turn up, takes his lid of, and its an old bloke....like one of us :wink: ....not something they aspire too, a bit different to the picture painted to the yuoff in the seventies/eighties when a spotty kid could blast around on an RD..

Got to agree with this. When I bought my first car all I could afford was a cheap and nasty 10 year old Ford. But I had a Yam YPVS, which was cool, and out accelerated almost every car of a similar vintage. In later years at one of the Camps I was posted to they had an 'almost resident' Citreon salesman. He would sell the young guys joining the Forces a new car for £99 a month. Then they pimp them up to look 'fast'. Sadly that doesn't seem to work very well with learner bikes.
03 Boxer Cup
02 1150gs
98 r1100rt - work bike
81 Yam RD250LC
81 suzuki GSX250
81 Honda MT5
A rottweiler garage alarm called Buster :-)

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:53 am

Hayden wrote:I agree with all that you guys are saying, the trouble is, that unlike when we were young, motorbikes to the majority of the youth are not seen as `cool`, where-as your pimped up Saxo 1.0 is... :shock:...they`ve been playing car games for years by the time they are 16/17

Yeah That.
Take a look round you at any meet or charity event, Try spotting anyone under 35, Almost impossible, if you don't count kids/girlfriends/boyfriends along as pillions.
I could have counted the number of 'yoofs' at the Scottish Bike Show on one hand this year, same goes for WSBK at Donnington (mind you, that had a pretty poor turnout all round to be honest) :?
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:03 pm

A few years ago my uncle said it was the end of the big bikes and we'd seen the best years, I scoffed at his assertion stating that big bikes were now light years ahead of anything before. But I must admit I can see what he was talking about.

Hopefully there's enough younger customers in other countries to continue business's producing and supporting bikes as in this country it seemed to have gone downhill sales wise since 250's were banned for learners.

I still don't see why restricted 250 machines couldn't have been offered
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:05 pm

slparry wrote:A few years ago my uncle said it was the end of the big bikes and we'd seen the best years, I scoffed at his assertion stating that big bikes were now light years ahead of anything before. But I must admit I can see what he was talking about.

Hopefully there's enough younger customers in other countries to continue business's producing and supporting bikes as in this country it seemed to have gone downhill sales wise since 250's were banned for learners.

I still don't see why restricted 250 machines couldn't have been offered

You're assuming the gov is happy for people to ride bikes.....

They would much prefer teenagers to give up and get into a car. Safer, and earns more tax in long run.
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:10 pm

OK since this thread has turned into a trip down memory lane,
Here's one that shows that not that much has changed since our youth,

windows 7 print screen

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:08 am

'So i gives her the eye and waits for it to happen'

Classic.

That is the most appalling attempt at yoof speak by some upper middle class advertising twonk that I have ever read. Made me smile though.

No mate, what you need is a step through moped and they'll be falling over themselves for you...

eyore

Postby eyore » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 am

A girl of discernment ,is Angela. No going out with Ogri types on oily BSAs and Triumphs. :wink:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:55 am

f90x wrote:That is the most appalling attempt at yoof speak by some upper middle class advertising twonk that I have ever read. Made me smile though....

Don't be so hard on them.
They had a better understanding of the market than we have today.
:shock:
image hosting

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 am

That Honda advert big acceleration? Big racy brakes?

You meet the biggest bullshiters in the Honda advertising department
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Return to “Boxerbanter”