1100S v 1200ST

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Phil Thomas

1100S v 1200ST

Postby Phil Thomas » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:24 pm

An impulse buy about a month ago resulted in the purchase of an R1200ST, although the 1100S was meant to be my last bike. However, the following observations might be of interest when comparisons of the two machines are made.

Pros
1 Vastly improved performance and yet much better fuel economy. 60mpg against 50mpg for the 1100S...must be running on fumes! Much smoother, particularly at the top end, but not such user friendly torque at the bottom end. In fact the engine characteristic is quite different from the 1100S...little or no flywheel effect.
2 Lighter than the 1100S
3 Lower seat height
4 Improved handling.
5 Probably the best headlight in the business

Cons
1 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! but from the cockpit P.O.V just like any other Bee Em
2 Suspension is, to say the least agricultural...but I do have Hyperpro springs on the 1100S.
2 Gearbox and transmission are rubbish compared with the 1100S.

However, because of the improved performance and fuel consumption I have decided it's a Keeper.

Consequently, The 1100S has to go. If anybody on this forum is interested it is on flea-bay Item No. 181193381580 with a buy it now price of £2100...negotiable for Trixters.

Regards to all,
Phil Thomas

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 am

I too had an S and moved on to an ST which got written off so now on my second ST.

I agree with all comments except weight I seem to remeber reading that teh ready for road weight of both is 229kg but may be wrong.

Suspension is a little agricultural (my 1100 had standard suspension on oit nothing fancy) and the damper adjuster is quite sensitive, the front forks are larger diameter which means there is less tendancy to twist but then I find that sometimes on the ST I get a slight mid-corner weave which was probably absorbed by the 1100s smaller forks flexing a little - I cannot prove this but it's what it feels like. Fuel consumptionis way better on the ST on a recent Welsh trip (see ride report) I averaged 58.81 MPG over 904 miles, half of which was two up with full luggae and half of which was one up chasing about Wales. There was only about one MPG difference between one up and two up. The engine has more whoosh at the top end and spins up to higher revs much quicker than the 1100 whether there is more torque I don't have the figures but to me they seem similar. All in all I like the ST but I loved my 1100S but It had to move on to a new home as I pile on the mileage and it was a 1998 early example and it was time it was used only for weekend ride not as a sumer commuter.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Phil Thomas

Postby Phil Thomas » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 am

Yes I think you are right about the weight...it is probably the perception of the weight...for whatever reason it feels lighter.
The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:I too had an S and moved on to an ST which got written off so now on my second ST.

I agree with all comments except weight I seem to remeber reading that teh ready for road weight of both is 229kg but may be wrong.

Suspension is a little agricultural (my 1100 had standard suspension on oit nothing fancy) and the damper adjuster is quite sensitive, the front forks are larger diameter which means there is less tendancy to twist but then I find that sometimes on the ST I get a slight mid-corner weave which was probably absorbed by the 1100s smaller forks flexing a little - I cannot prove this but it's what it feels like. Fuel consumptionis way better on the ST on a recent Welsh trip (see ride report) I averaged 58.81 MPG over 904 miles, half of which was two up with full luggae and half of which was one up chasing about Wales. There was only about one MPG difference between one up and two up. The engine has more whoosh at the top end and spins up to higher revs much quicker than the 1100 whether there is more torque I don't have the figures but to me they seem similar. All in all I like the ST but I loved my 1100S but It had to move on to a new home as I pile on the mileage and it was a 1998 early example and it was time it was used only for weekend ride not as a sumer commuter.
Phil Thomas

dave2wheels

Postby dave2wheels » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:56 pm

the ergonomics seem nicer on the 1100S, slightly less cramped, the ride feels better, it certainly looks much better

1200ST...quicker(just),smoother(without a doubt),faster(just),lighter(just), more economic, mostly easier to work on (I think), pannier luggage better, topbox easier, that's why it's now my everyday bike.
and if you take out the main fairing panels as I have this week while servicing it, it looks quite mean from the side, (mine's a black one)

I still kept my 1100S, still love it. when I've done another 50,000 on my ST's then I'll give you a better assessment as I've racked up about 95,000 on my 11S's so far....

Dave
(see you in couple of years)

and I think these will be my last 2 boxers unless BMW turn up some surprise update for the 11S

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:28 am

I like the facts that you only take off one fairing panel to change the air filter and you don't have to disturb the tank to do it. Also the fuel filter is outside of the tank, and the battery is accessible from under the seat, the oil filter is not quite so buried- Sorry 1100S owners but serviceing on the ST is easier.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

eyore

Postby eyore » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:39 am

dave2wheels wrote:
and I think these will be my last 2 boxers unless BMW turn up some surprise update for the 11S

They did and it was called the R 1200S :D
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:23 pm

eyore wrote:
dave2wheels wrote:

:lol:

I was going to say the same but it seemed a bit too obvious.

:roll:

dave2wheels

Postby dave2wheels » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm

bikesnbones wrote:
eyore wrote:
dave2wheels wrote:

:lol:

I was going to say the same but it seemed a bit too obvious.

:roll:

that's OK, forget to mention I've had one of those, nowt much wrong with them either apart from comfort and lugagge carrying ability -not saying it can't do it, it's just it wasn't designed for comfort(even with the the helibars) or luggage carrying!

Dave
(again, twice in 2 days, normally twice in 2 years, talking about posting, not s3x...although come to think of it.....)

Return to “Boxerbanter”