Performance Touring...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Performance Touring...

Postby slparry » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:28 pm

http://www.visordown.com/how-to-do-just ... 19956.html

This was what I used to tell my ex years ago, when she'd try to fill panniers, top box, tank bag ruck sack etc with half her wardrobe, and return from the trip with none of it used.

I'd probably bin the clear visor and use a clear one on my lid with a pair of sunglasses ... and of course being on a Beemer means no chain lube
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:00 pm

I suppose no chain lube opens up all sorts of possibilities such as deodorant and such like. :lol:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:05 pm

eyore wrote:I suppose no chain lube opens up all sorts of possibilities such as deodorant and such like. :lol:

<rolls eyes> here we go ;)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:27 pm

slparry wrote:
eyore wrote:I suppose no chain lube opens up all sorts of possibilities such as deodorant and such like. :lol:

<rolls> here we go ;)

Thought you'd like that, nothing personal you understand, just a general comment. :lol:

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

John Coles

Postby John Coles » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 am

Anyone any experience of a "Ninja turtles" backpack? Any opinions? I was thinking they would keep their shape better due to the outer case. Also I was thinking of mounting one over the rear seat by reversing a givi rack would it not be much like a seat hump?

Noticed on the thread that some people expressed the opinion they would never have a backpack due to the feeling the could cause more damage if one was caused to "dismount
whilst on the move" for whatever reason. Anyone here with enough medical knowledge in
regard to this?

John Coles

Postby John Coles » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:17 am

Oh contents.... I take the lightweight waterproof "hiking trainers" and double up on the silk so balaclava ( perfer to neckwarmer) inner gloves (can wear 2 at one if gets really cool but summer with heated grips not really an issue) long sleeve top and longjohns plus under socks. Find the 'top layer' of whatever choice comes off easier after a long day when wearing silk. Silk is light & warm but also cool ... if that makes sense. Also as a 'credit card' tourist I find minimal toiletries required as all good hotels provide them these days and if packing really light the personal ones can fit in the shoes : ) you can wash the silk stuff out
in the bath/shower and it always dries overnight (plus you have double right?) . Also I always turn the 'top layer' inside out overnight to 'air' as my dear old Mam would say.
Good nights sleep, nice hotel breakfast & coffee and "fresh as a daisy" in all respects for another day of fun!!

SAS Tom

Postby SAS Tom » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 am

It's alright saying you can manage that but try telling the Mrs!

Hoping the K100RT I've just bought will have enough room!

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 am

SAS Tom wrote:It's alright saying you can manage that but try telling the Mrs!

Hoping the K100RT I've just bought will have enough room!

mine tried the same when we went to Bordeaux, I just gave her one pannier inner and said whatever you want to take so long as it fits in here.

Much frostiness resulted however, she did admit I was right and she didn't use much of what she took as of course most of the time you're in bike kit.
--
Steve Parry

SAS Tom

Postby SAS Tom » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:51 pm

That's what I said when we went to wales. She still took an extra rucksack too!

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Look its simple and just get used to it lads, us wimmins need more bits and bobs..............................end of :roll:

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 pm

I prefer to travel a little less light to be honest.

Clean pants, socks and T-shirts for each day, where he managed with 3 of each. I also can't stand flip flops, so I take trainers, which means I can walk reasonable distances, or even go for the odd jog. I also take an old handtowel, just in case I fancy a dip.

A lot of it is about how you pack, so my shoes get stuffed with pants and socks. Rolling up clothes is more efficient than folding. You would be surprised what you can get into a small space.

The cable lock is essential. I know its not particularly secure, but I will risk leaving the helmet and jacket locked to the bike so I can walk about unencumbered. My Helmet is a St George cross though, so I covered it up in Wales and Scotland in case someone decided to do a poo in it.

I have a kriega 10 litre tail pack and tank converter which I keep all my valuables in and carry with me. Everything else gets left on the bike.

********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 pm

eyore wrote:Look its simple and just get used to it lads, us wimmins need more bits and bobs..............................end of :roll:

my daughter has a handbag that's bigger than the Oxford tailpack I have for the bike. Apart from an iPhone I'm not exactly sure what else is in there :)
--
Steve Parry

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:12 pm

slparry wrote:
eyore wrote:Look its simple and just get used to it lads, us wimmins need more bits and bobs..............................end of :roll:

my daughter has a handbag that's bigger than the Oxford tailpack I have for the bike. Apart from an iPhone I'm not exactly sure what else is in there :)

You may be surprised to know she probably dosen't know half of whats in it either :lol:

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:46 pm

I read somewhere that Nick Saunders only takes the socks and skids he's wearing when he goes around the world.
As far as the original link goes.
I guess this guy must be lucky in that he never encounters rain.
Couldn't see his waterproofs anyway.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:53 pm

I guess if you have a decent textile suit it negates the need for separate waterproofs?

Many years ago a Gixxer 11 pilot we got chatting to enroute to the Bol sniggered at the panniers/top box/tank bag on the K100RS, he just unzipped his diddy magnetic tank bag and proudly proclaimed all it contained was his toothbrush, a change of underwear and a credit card and anything he needed he'd get as and when.

Later that day we had to offer him space in the static caravan we'd rented for the fortnight .... he'd attempted to put his card into an ATM and the magnetic tank bag had wiped/corrupted the strip on the card ... the machine ate the card and refused to give it back. He had to stay with us until Monday when he could call the UK to get someone to sort it for him ;)
--
Steve Parry

Return to “Boxerbanter”