Sombre reminder

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Sombre reminder

Postby slparry » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:50 pm

I've seen loads recently who are obviously riding Gods and invincible as they seem to find it acceptable to ride in flip flops, t-shirt and shorts.

http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=e ... on_learned
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Aye, that's one to make you shiver. Know it only too well unfortunately, Lad I knew a few years back, before he moved jobs down south, 'lost' his wife off the back of his bike.........She lost both breasts and a fair amount of both knees.
She, like this lass, has her scars forever more :cry:

Been passing a chap on a (I think) CB400 the last few weeks at 0620am as he heads onto the dual carriageway, No gloves, Yellow work jacket over fleece, half mast work trousers and what looks like brogues, Cring worthy.
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:51 pm

positively overdressed compared to the ZX9R pilot that flew past me at about 100 plus on Wrexham bypass, cos 80 in traffic wasn't enough ;) .... in trainers, shorts, vest and helmet
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Ruffy

sombre reminder

Postby Ruffy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 pm

I think every biker should read this story steve,then they wouldn't go out under dressed. :(
ruffy

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Won't make a blind bit of difference unfortunately.
Gary

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 pm

slparry wrote:positively overdressed compared to the ZX9R pilot that flew past me at about 100 plus on Wrexham bypass, cos 80 in traffic wasn't enough ;) .... in trainers, shorts, vest and helmet

But the helmet was an arai I'll bet
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

popsky

Postby popsky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:07 am

A very sobering story, I'd never heard of anyone being blown off the back of a bike (in 35 years of riding), though when you look at pillions on sport bikes you can see how easily it could happen.

If you read the whole story it really is uplifting, though for her the scars will never disappear, but to be able to get back on a bike (her own) and ride the highway that did the damage must have taken some guts.

But as conkerman says wont make any difference!
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:10 am

conkerman wrote:Won't make a blind bit of difference unfortunately.

^This^

And to be honest whilst the article is a sobering reminder to us, there's an element of preaching to the converted on here.

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:17 am

I hear you there.

#Peeling myself out of my leathers.

Warm one this morning.
Gary

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 am

I know this won't sit well with some of you, but I don't see a problem with jeans on a bike, for riding to work or nipping to the shops. Shorts, sandals, t-shirts..... No.

I bearly hit 30 on my way to work (traffic), and while I'd never have skin exposed, jeans and a hein gerike light summer textile jacket (probably no better than a jumper, the zip on sleeves would pop off instantly!) with proper bike boots/gloves and helmet suit me fine.

Back to the story though, and I'd be mega pissed at the driver. Sure, your friend with no bike gear want's a spin on the back of your bike, no problem, just go easy and be carefull. This guy obviously didn't......

But yea, I agree strongly that if your out for a proper ride (rider or pillion), full propoer gear is always the way to go.
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:28 am

Steve1200S wrote:I know this won't sit well with some of you, but I don't see a problem with jeans on a bike, for riding to work or nipping to the shops. Shorts, sandals, t-shirts..... No.

I bearly hit 30 on my way to work (traffic), and while I'd never have skin exposed, jeans and a hein gerike light summer textile jacket (probably no better than a jumper, the zip on sleeves would pop off instantly!) with proper bike boots/gloves and helmet suit me fine.

Back to the story though, and I'd be mega pissed at the driver. Sure, your friend with no bike gear want's a spin on the back of your bike, no problem, just go easy and be carefull. This guy obviously didn't......

But yea, I agree strongly that if your out for a proper ride (rider or pillion), full propoer gear is always the way to go.

Sort of agree Steve, if I'm just nipping out I've done so in jeans, but I ride ever so slowly and cautiously when doing so, calculated risk I guess. Never without gloves, and always with skin covered
--
Steve Parry

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 am

I've been riding in jeans in the current heatwave, so people in glass houses, etc.
However I pulled up behind a GSXR600 at some traffic lights. Rider Full power ranger kit with shiny knee sliders. His young lady pillion, vest top, shorts and deck shoes.
You have to question the mentality
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 am

Merecat wrote:I've been riding in jeans in the current heatwave, so people in glass houses, etc.
However I pulled up behind a GSXR600 at some traffic lights. Rider Full power ranger kit with shiny knee sliders. His young lady pillion, vest top, shorts and deck shoes.
You have to question the mentality

I know what you mean Mick
At Jack`s at the weekend, a chap pulls up on a Harley wearing full leather, boots and gloves, his pillion, presumably his daughter, probably about eight years old, was in trainers, jeans, and an anorak, no gloves, supprised he made her wear a helmet!

I`am all for freedom of choice etc, but to protect yourself and leave your pillion to fend for themselves is disgusting.

I do a short commute, 30 to 40 mph but always wear `the gear` that said I may consider jeans at those speeds, on the downhill streches I crawl past cyclists who must be approaching 30/35 mph plus...how come they don`t need leathers?.... :?

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 am

Hayden wrote: on the downhill streches I crawl past cyclists who must be approaching 30/35 mph plus...how come they don`t need leathers?.... :?

I've got the scars to prove that theory :!: Used to road race many moons ago, I can confirm it hurts :(
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed

Traitor Z1000SX Owner

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 am

Bikerhoss wrote:
Hayden wrote: on the downhill streches I crawl past cyclists who must be approaching 30/35 mph plus...how come they don`t need leathers?.... :?

I've got the scars to prove that theory :!: Used to road race many moons ago, I can confirm it hurts :(

:shock: what??? lycra doesn't protect ;)
--
Steve Parry

Return to “Boxerbanter”