Sigh ......

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Sigh ......

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 am

My K1200GT ......

so after my recently having to have a complete new instrument console fitted .... which I think was about £1200 (due to the trip meter failing)

and previous warranty replacements have been ....

rear ESA £1800
lh switchgear £330
main stand £100
2 ASC replacements @ £80 each
New clutch assy @ .. god knows
New cam chain tensioner @ god knows
Cam chain guide
rear drive assy
airbox assy
steering dampener
BMW Navigator
pillion heated seat switch
engine loom replacement to cure hot start probs
and probably a few items I've missed

It's now decided that the ABS pump should go west .... about £1400 I believe? Good news is I have full working brakes just no ABS function.

It's a common problem, apparently the brushes in the motor go on the piss and get stuck in their holder, there is an excellent video on Youtube showing how to drill the rivets out of the sealed unit and fix the brushes. Had I not on the extended warranty I'd be doing just that but as it's on the extended warranty they can give me a new one :)

In fact from my known list of things that go wrong on the new K's the only thing that's so far been ok has been ... touch wood.... the ball joint and the fuel strip.

I do have a slighty warped disk on the front but that can wait as it's not too bad at present.

Part of me says enough ... get rid of it.... while another part says .... you've almost got to the sweet spot where it's all been sorted. I must admit it's a gorgeous thing to ride. Incredibly fast, smooth, excellent handling and wonderful road prescence. It'll do up to 300 miles on 1 tank of fuel if you're careful, and makes 500 mile days effortless, and the scalded cat acceleration is intoxicating :)

I really cannot think of what to replace it with if I did change it. Pans don't light my fires, I quite like the FJR1300's I guess, test rode a GTR 1400 and just didn't like it for some reason, it just didn't feel sorted ridewise. Perhaps I've got too used to BMW's duolever on the K and the telelever on the 'Cup. I fancy an RT but I'd just be potentially trading similar issues and gain less performance for my trouble.

I'd previously considered changing the 'Cup to perhaps an R1200S or maybe a KTM RC8 but changing the K presents me with a challenge for what to replace it with ..... I had a K1600GT last your, while my k was being serviced or worked on, that was awesome and I'd have one of those in a heartbeat, however I've not got K1600GT pennies floating around :) ... K1300GT well it's too close to what I've got... and I could just be continuing the issues.

I guess I'm just praying that I'm now approaching the end of the warranty failures ...... here's hoping .....

I may even use the K on the Welsh Weekend for a change so please feel free to tell it it's being naughty if you see it :)

edit to add the engine loom as I'd forgotten about that one :)
Last edited by slparry on Wed May 01, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 am

To be honest I would out it possibility going for a R1200s they have their problems but the problems you have had that's one hell of a list today you have warranty tomorrow you won't
Get shot while you can
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 am

A friend of mine recently had a GTR14 - he really enjoyed it, although admitted the ballistic motor over-shadowed the rest of the bike.

He now has a VFR1200 and much prefers it - the new one has a larger fuel tank, and a few other updates which has pretty much eradicated the original bike's faults. Whilst not ultimately as quick as the Kwak, he rates it as an awesome package. Comfy too, and beautifully built.

Must admit Steve - any bike which had the number of issues your K's had (in our out of warranty) I'd get shot of it asap. You have far more patience than me! :)

SAS Tom

Postby SAS Tom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:37 am

At this stage id keep it given you've had so much done! The bike hasn't aged because everything just gets replaced!

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 am

SAS Tom wrote:At this stage id keep it given you've had so much done! The bike hasn't aged because everything just gets replaced!

precisely, Triggers broom comes to mind :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 am

Gromit wrote:A friend of mine recently had a GTR14 - he really enjoyed it, although admitted the ballistic motor over-shadowed the rest of the bike.

He now has a VFR1200 and much prefers it - the new one has a larger fuel tank, and a few other updates which has pretty much eradicated the original bike's faults. Whilst not ultimately as quick as the Kwak, he rates it as an awesome package. Comfy too, and beautifully built.

Must admit Steve - any bike which had the number of issues your K's had (in our out of warranty) I'd get shot of it asap. You have far more patience than me! :)

I actually like the vfr12's but ... I'm not a Honda fan don't know why just don't float my boat :)
--
Steve Parry

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 am

Nooooo! Keep it Steve! You'll miss embarrassing sports bikes!

As you say, its insanely fast. I've found mine handles really well (if a little slow to turn) and love it.

I do think the clutch could be much better (the biting point is at the very end of the travel, and it ‘sqarks’ sometimes), and the gear shift is loud and clunky, and my cruise control button is kind of hit and miss...... but the engine/handling makes up for it!
oh yea, I've got a warped front disc too (safely within tolerance though).

The list of complaints people have had worry me.... but I'm on extended warranty, so don’t really care! I know it'll get fixed if anything does go.
Seems like many people hated the clutch so much they got rid of them, but I don’t find it any more annoying than problems with other BMWs....

If your happy paying to keep the warranty, I'd keep it. I wouldn't own one without the warranty though, just because of the price of replacement parts.

My worry would be (and probably will be in the future), that all new bikes are too electronic, and the parts are made by the cheapest bidder. Things could just as easily go wrong on a new k1600 or RT......

Apparently all the 'issues' are fixed on the 1300s, plus an extra 15/20bhp or so! May be worth an upgrade to a newer model, as you seem to like the bike..... ?
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 am

slparry wrote:
I actually like the vfr12's but ... I'm not a Honda fan don't know why just don't float my boat :)

Fairynuff - I was often of a similar opinion, and still am in some ways if I'm honest, despite that I've had the Blackbird nearly 6.5 years and love the thing. The VFR12 has really grown on me - Grantham Honda have a black one in stock with an Akra can fitted and it looks fabulous.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 am

Don't let them con you into thinking the 13 is any better, it's had its batch of similar issues.

The clutch squealing was what caused them to put a new one in for me. For the first 500 miles after having it it juddered terribly but as they promised it bed itself down nicely, not sure why it happened as I've never had a wet clutch behave like that before.

And yes the embarressing sports bikes is a major plus, if ever a bike was a wolf in sheeps clothing the K12GT is it. Big fairing, panniers, top box oh that's a lardy tourer .... hang on it's nailed to the tail of my R1 :)

I'd previously had, from 1985, 5 x K100RS's and of all those and all the mileage I did on them all that ever went wrong was one of them had a failed TPS, still got me home but was in 60mph limp mode. So the catalogue of failures with this one has dismayed me. As you say extended warranty is the key, and as it's transferrable I'd not ever buy one without it as the parts risk is just too high.

The K16GT is going to be the same, as nowadays are most bikes as more and more electronics are incorporated.

To my knowledge, here there's you, Timbox and me with K's ... although Timbox's is the 13.

Are you bringing yours to Wales?
--
Steve Parry

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 pm

No plans at the min, I'm skint after a job change and paying for my wedding thats just gone by in Feb. May nip over for a day trip though if I get the funds together.

I'm desperate for a big trip, just not had the weather or funds for it since getting the K in december.

How many miles has your GT done now?

My clutch doesn't really judder, just makes a crap noise every so often (usually while trying to set off fast going up hill). I think if I complained enough I could get a 1300 clutch in there, but I'm not fussed as long as it works.

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:07 pm

me and a mate are off to Scotland on the August Bank Hols weekend, doing 1300 miles in 5 days/ 4 nights :) £127 for b&b's ... miles of empty roads :)

My K's got 27000 on it now.

Oh get a fenda extenda on your, I've waited too long and my rad is caked with crap that's never coming out. So at some point I'll be looking at a new rad.

The rad is an upside down triangle and the fan is in the pointy pit at the bottom , smack behind where all the crap gets thrown up off the wheel ..... grrrrr
--
Steve Parry

tripe

Postby tripe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:58 pm

its part of the charm. I have really taken to my k1200R sport. The ride is very fluid and quite nippy when you want or need it to be. Greatest mod was chaging rear 190/50 to 190/55.
My list is much shorter
Rear ESA
Clutch basket
front bearings
headlight assembly
couple of things found to be failing whilst being serviced
all covered under warranty.

and its currently sitting doing nothing as have torn a ligament in a finger and have three months without the ability to use it for sustained grip, makes clutch work awkward
If god didn't want people to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

http://www.racine-restaurant.com

S-less but enjoying K instead

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 pm

tripe wrote:its part of the charm. I have really taken to my k1200R sport. The ride is very fluid and quite nippy when you want or need it to be. Greatest mod was chaging rear 190/50 to 190/55.
My list is much shorter
Rear ESA
Clutch basket
front bearings
headlight assembly
couple of things found to be failing whilst being serviced
all covered under warranty.

and its currently sitting doing nothing as have torn a ligament in a finger and have three months without the ability to use it for sustained grip, makes clutch work awkward

Ouch ...

A mate has a K1300R ... and you're right the K series is a bit nippy :)

I've actually scored a K1200S rear wheel for my GT, not put it on yet as I have an almost new tyre on the original 5.5" wheel (the GT uses 180 tyres)
--
Steve Parry

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm on 33k at the min. It seems to have had a fender extender on for a while, the rad is amaculate.

I love the K12/13R bikes! Would have had one if you could fit RT type cases. I had those expanding sport things on my 12S and didn't like them. Thought they where a bit flimsey ( I know someone on here lost one last year!).

It is a shame about the problems, its a good job the service is so good from the deals (in my experience anyway).

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Steve, I am gobsmacked at seeing your list of woes :shock: what mileage has the bike covered? if that has not already been answered,( skipped a lot of this versus that and your Honda shxte :wink: ) but your patience IS commendable.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”