29 years ago today...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

29 years ago today...

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:09 pm

I was stood on a cold windswept platform at Huntingdon Railway Station saying cheerio to my folks before embarking on what has proved to be the time of my life. I was off to start my basic training at RAF Swinderby (which is now largely a housing estate).

I'm not one for outbursts of emotion but in 2 weeks' time it all comes to an end and it's brought one some truly genuine feelings of sadness. However there are more wonderful memories than I can even begin to think back on - I really have had a ball, and if the 'Great Man Upstairs' gave me the opportunity to do it all over again I'd do so without a moment's hesitation. There have been times when I really felt I had the best job in the world.

Hayden

Re: 29 years ago today...

Postby Hayden » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Gromit wrote:There have been times when I really felt I had the best job in the world.

There are not many who can say that, you`ve been a lucky man.

Good luck with the `next chapter` Richard...... :thumbleft:

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:24 pm

It's always great to hear of a mans life being so full and having no regrets..

I try to live with the viewpoint of regret what you do and don't ever regret what you don't do.......

Al

Postby Al » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Had a few of those moments myself Richard, normally after watching an aircraft disapear into the sky and going for a beer(or3) in some exotic part of the world, but I can truthfully say none of them were at Swinderby :lol:
Good luck with the jobhunting( hopefully you can find one that doesn`t include w/end parades and GateGuard)!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

madthemad

Postby madthemad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:10 pm

And it's been about 45 years since I was at Swinderby. I did have spell at Spitalgate or the stud farm as someone told me in the admin ofice. :D
Nil Desperandum

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks guys. :)

Been one hell of a ride I can say that for sure - from seeing the horrors of what a 7.62mm round can do to the human head (in Gulf 91) to a night drinking with the members of Toto in the bar of our hotel in Japan.

Another thing is that had I not joined up, my liver would probably now be in a better state. :D

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 pm

madthemad wrote:And it's been about 45 years since I was at Swinderby. I did have spell at Spitalgate or the stud farm as someone told me in the admin ofice. :D

You'd be horrified - perhaps glad(?) - if you saw Swinditz now. Went there last year and took a few photos. Although I wouldn't say I 'enjoyed' those 7 weeks, it was terribly sad to see what's happened to the place.

cornishflat

Re: 29 years ago today...

Postby cornishflat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Hinckley man wrote:
Gromit wrote:There have been times when I really felt I had the best job in the world.

There are not many who can say that, you`ve been a lucky man.

Good luck with the `next chapter` Richard...... :thumbleft:

Ain,t that the truth.
kernow,the last bit

dave1100s

Postby dave1100s » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:04 pm

What a great tale, I wish I could say the same! By the time I realised I had chosen the wrong career path, it's too bloody late to change it!!
Enjoy whatever you decide to do with your well earned retirement Gromit.
It's only now I'm in my late 40's and my brother has retired after a career in the RN and my brother-in-law is about to finish in the police at 48, that I realise that I've still got another 20 years to go :shock:

Enjoy yourself mate, you're a lucky man!

Dave.
We don't stop playing because we get old.....we get old because we stop playing!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks Dave - I'm still 'only' 47 (will be 48 this July) so still need to have some sort of gainful employment to help pay the bills, and keep me sane!

In my job we had a lot to do with folk who were ex-Forces (mostly RAF obviously) and we always used to have a laugh at the old 'grippers' getting all misty-eyed about their time in the Service. Thing is I'm already beginning to understand how they must feel.

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm 48 in August. I considered the services as a teenager too. To think that I could be retiring this year makes me wince at the choices I made (or didn't) at the time.

dave1100s

Postby dave1100s » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:21 pm

f90x wrote:I'm 48 in August. I considered the services as a teenager too. To think that I could be retiring this year makes me wince at the choices I made (or didn't) at the time.

Ditto my friend!! I'm 48 in about a weeks time and to think that I'll still be grafting my arse off for another 20 years (that's assuming Mr Cameron doesn't stick another few years on for good measure) while you lucky ex-service types sit back and laugh at us knobs who still have to get up in the mornings and trudge into work!

Any ideas on what you're going to do Gromit?
We don't stop playing because we get old.....we get old because we stop playing!

Herb

Postby Herb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 pm

dave1100s wrote:What a great tale, I wish I could say the same! By the time I realised I had chosen the wrong career path, it's too bloody late to change it!!

Dave.

I'm with Dave, hindsight tells me I made some bad career moves, starting with becoming an Engineer. It seemed sensible at the time, but since when has sensible been exciting.

Grass always looks greener though, as boring as my career is, would I have enjoyed another more??? Maybe, maybe not.

Good luck Gromit!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Well I trained as a Die-Sinker/Tool-maker in the pressure die-casting industry and I loved every minute of it. In later years, just for some 'sphincter tightening' exitement, (8,000ft, unpressurised, into the teeth of a North Atlantic storm had me wishing I'd never left my factory bench.) I'd take time out to do a bit of navigating for an old buddy, ferrying prop-driven singles up from South Africa the 'wrong' way (East-West) to the US West Coast. And now, at 71!, I've just been offered a job! And you know what? I just might take it 'cos then I'll be able to buy a new HP4 instead of a S/H one. :lol:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Gromit wrote:- I'm still 'only' 47 (will be 48 this July) so still need to have some sort of gainful employment to help pay the bills, and keep me sane!

You're only a young un Richard! I'm sure a man of yourr talents won't be unemployed for too long.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Boxerbanter”