Kawasaki 1000 Versys
18%
BMW F 800 GS
35%

Total votes: 17

ned1

Postby ned1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 pm

el-nicko
That can/cat came off after the 600 mile service.

Ned :D
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport
Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Blackal wrote: KAWASAKI 1000 SX

Al :)

The only way is SX :wink:

As has been said, of those listed I would go with the trumpet, but you may want to consider the available luggage options for each of them, Both of the kawas use the same givi panniers that are as wide as the BMW R series panniers.
Personlly, I would go for something a little more left field, say a Moto Morini Granpasso 8)
But lets face it, whatever you choose will be inferior to your mighty R1200S :lol:

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:49 pm

As everyone says YOU need to test ride the bikes and decide.....but if you like your R12S how about a Wunderlicht (or similar) handlebar conversion??

I swapped mine over and it made a massive difference to comfort....

Between the 3 bikes you have said I'd rule out the Kawasaki, my mate bought one and to be honest (to me at least) there is nothin about it that is special.

If its for road riding and you want an "adventure" bike then the Triumph has the better engine (but its much more thirsty) otherwise there almost identical.

You pay your money and take your choice.........

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:59 pm

ned1 wrote:el-nicko
That can/cat came off after the 600 mile service.

Ned :D

8) Replaced with what Ned? What's the bike like? As good as they say? Post a pic?

Nick.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

big rob

Postby big rob » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:25 am

thanks for all your posts, as always some intersting views and ideas. Gail & I owned a Z1000 for a wee while, the bike was a hoot to ride, it brought out the 'hooligan' in me :twisted: as the Versys shares the same engine that was my thinking behind that choice. As much as I like BMW's the Tiger 800 is a better looking machine. Gail & both ride but often enjoy a tootle in the hills (we live at the foot of the Cairngorms National Park) together with Gail riding pillion, neither Gail or I are small peeps so a big sit-up and beg style machine would be better suited for this..... we will test ride all 3 machines but may end-up keeping our 11S & 12S and searching for an additional toy for our garage
Will keep you posted.
Rob & Gail :D

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:42 am

I've gone the other way, F800GS to R1100S.

Loved the 8GS for great fun, impressive power band (for an 800 twin), sweet exhaust note, on on twisty B-roads in any weather it it'll take some beating. However not great for comfort, the BMW comfort seat is an essential extra. Also I found the GS hard work on long distance, wind protection is poor and creates significantly more wind noise than any other bike I've ridden and these together made dual carriageways/motorways a toil. Build quality is significantly poorer than other BMW's that I've owned, in fact I think this has been deteriorating for a few years now, both heated grips failed on mine just outside warranty.

Can't really comment on the Tiger or the Versys, other than to say the Versys is ugly :lol:

I've test ridden the Sprint, great engine and was tempted to buy it bit the dealership was severely lacking in customer service. Also test rode an 1000SX, fast smooth but for me didn't get me pulse racing, very competent bike but I suspect I could get bored of it fairly quickly and I would imagine the same would apply to the Versys.

As for keeping your 11S & 12S, I think that's a great idea, not ridden the 12 but my 11S is my favourite bike of all time. I could be biased as I'm still in the honeymoon period (owned 7 months, ridden 6k) but for me its an enticing blend of performance and practicality and it engages me as a rider more than any other machine I've ridden. :D
Kaze

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:19 am

Try the half way house that is the R1200ST
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Return to “Boxerbanter”