Who gave Harley Riders the right to block the highway

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

User avatar France
FLASH

Postby FLASH » Thu May 31, 2012 7:03 am

Gromit wrote:I've owned a few Harleys over the years .... a VRSCR Streetrod ..... All were fun...

Not how I remember it... :-)
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 am

I went along to the local HD shops open day with my Dad (also a biker) and he was like "I don't understand why you don't like Harley's" I told him it wasn't particularly the bikes but have a look around.....after 10 minutes he agreed.
Accountants and dentists dressed head to toe in Harley gear wobbling about on their £15k bikes to the local coffee shop for a double skinny latte then home after a "good" run on the bike!!

Maybe it's just my local HD owners who annoy me......

User avatar Great Britain
Topcat

Postby Topcat » Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 am

If the ones that I've see in Bridgwater Riders are dentists I'm staying well away!!

:D

User avatar Tokelau
popsky

Postby popsky » Thu May 31, 2012 11:32 am

Topcat wrote:If the ones that I've see in Bridgwater Riders are dentists I'm staying well away!!

:D

Hehehe that's them :lol:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Oberautobahnjäger…………

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu May 31, 2012 11:55 am

FLASH wrote:
Gromit wrote:I've owned a few Harleys over the years .... a VRSCR Streetrod ..... All were fun...

Not how I remember it... :-)

It was raining that day...a lot. :cry:

User avatar Tokelau
popsky

Postby popsky » Thu May 31, 2012 2:22 pm

And after all I said, got a lovely smile and nod of a Harley rider today when I pulled over in my van :D

She was on a custom chopper though :wink:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Oberautobahnjäger…………

User avatar Wales
slparry

Postby slparry » Thu May 31, 2012 2:35 pm

a few years ago on the A470 from Newton towards Rhayder I got into a dice with a HD, God knows what it was 'cos I couldn't get near it. I was on my K100RS and was riding at 10/10ths but fair play to the guy he out dragged me from every corner, and hustled like hell through them. The only ground I was making up was under braking and I think that was 'cos I had the failsafe of having ABS so braked harder than he was.

It was quite painful to be behind as it appear to have open pipes and I could feel the pulses hitting me at times :)
--
Steve Parry
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu May 31, 2012 4:22 pm

Talking of 'quick' Harleys, a guy I used to know would occasionally take his FXDX Dyna Sport (the same model as mine in the pic) to trackdays at Mallory Park. He'd go into the intermediate group, and wasn't the slowest rider on the track by any means. He did post an on-board video some time ago but no idea if it's still out there on the www

My 'Sport had a 1580cc big bore, stage 3 cams, V&H 2-1 pipe and bigger valves. Lord knows how much torque the thing had but up to 70mph or so it was properly quick and sounded just fabulous. Within its somewhat limited ground clearance it didn't handle too badly either, steering very sweetly, and on smooth roads could be a lot of fun.

Scotland
Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Thu May 31, 2012 10:19 pm

A well ridden Harley can be very quick. A few years ago, I was going quickly (I thought) along my favourite local road on my Falco (not a slow bike). I was shocked when an HD Sportster caught and passed me and I couldn't keep up.

He just didn't slow down for bends. It was at that point I decided to get some training. I'm quicker now, especially on the R12S, but I'm not sure I could stay with that guy even now. It's still a mystery to me how he did it.

I was told of a very fast female HD rider who takes some keeping up with.

I'm happy to ride anything with two wheels, with an engine or pedals, so I don't get all this 'wouldn't be seen dead on a ...'. They are all great fun from my BSA C15, Ariel Leader, Virago, VFR...

The 12S is probably the best one yet though.

Return to “Boxerbanter”