Have BMW really shaken off the pipe and slippers image

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

Re: Have BMW really shaken off the pipe and slippers image

Postby fontana » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:58 pm

boxerscott wrote:When we first moved up to the Borders there were quite a few young lads buzzing about on scoots and the odd race rep 125. That was 10 years ago. Now they are scarce, barely noticeable. Our local bike dealer/repair /mot facility Olivers at Denholm sells more quad bikes to the farmers than they do scoots to the lads. Definitely a decline in youngsters choosing two wheels as a mode of transport and I would say that may probably be mirrored by BAB`s I would agree that there is a decline in two wheel ownership. I think the main reason for it is prioritising income. I would guess that figures are in decline in other Western European economies too. I barely even read about WSB these days let alone watch it. Hardly a shop window for the manufacturers as it used to be.

Motorcycling is definitely growing old despite the fantastic machines that are rolling off the lines with amazing technology included.

Enjoy it while we can. (says me who is yet to ride my Xmas prezzie :? )

I firmly believe that the biking bubble burst a long time ago.
Yes, the media report growing sales figures, but omit the fact that even these figures are pitiful compared to where they were 20 - 30 years ago.
I'm always amazed at how the magazines these days(especially MCN), seem to be so preoccupied with promoting finance deals on new bikes.
It's almost as though they have gone hand in hand with the national Motorcycle dealers association, but then of course declining motorcycles sales inevitably hits them too, so it makes sense.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 pm

not so sure

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... hapter.pdf

Looks like they're on the up, well usage is :D

Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (39.85 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

and today I've done my bit by selling 5 new bikes myself :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 pm

slparry wrote:not so sure

Well perhaps we need to refer back to your very words earlier on this thread

slparry wrote:
statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is exciting, what they conceal is vital

:roll:

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:38 pm

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:not so sure

Well perhaps we need to refer back to your very words earlier on this thread

slparry wrote:
statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is exciting, what they conceal is vital

:roll:

:)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:39 pm

There is of course a much bigger picture.
UK bike sales represent pocket change as far as the manufacturers are concerned.
We are still part of a bigger piece of the jigsaw, which is Europe.

http://www.consultancy.uk/news/2852/new ... since-2005

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:43 am

fontana wrote:
boxerscott wrote:When we first moved up to the Borders there were quite a few young lads buzzing about on scoots and the odd race rep 125. That was 10 years ago. Now they are scarce, barely noticeable. Our local bike dealer/repair /mot facility Olivers at Denholm sells more quad bikes to the farmers than they do scoots to the lads. Definitely a decline in youngsters choosing two wheels as a mode of transport and I would say that may probably be mirrored by BAB`s I would agree that there is a decline in two wheel ownership. I think the main reason for it is prioritising income. I would guess that figures are in decline in other Western European economies too. I barely even read about WSB these days let alone watch it. Hardly a shop window for the manufacturers as it used to be.

Motorcycling is definitely growing old despite the fantastic machines that are rolling off the lines with amazing technology included.

I firmly believe that the biking bubble burst a long time ago.
Yes, the media report growing sales figures, but omit the fact that even these figures are pitiful compared to where they were 20 - 30 years ago.
I'm always amazed at how the magazines these days(especially MCN), seem to be so preoccupied with promoting finance deals on new bikes.
It's almost as though they have gone hand in hand with the national Motorcycle dealers association, but then of course declining motorcycles sales inevitably hits them too, so it makes sense.
True. Mcn still rely on Rossi to sell. Someone who has passed the Rubicon without a force.
That publication is not worth buying. Agreed encouraging punters to go pcp. They would, they know things are in decline.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 am

fontana wrote:There is of course a much bigger picture.
UK bike sales represent pocket change as far as the manufacturers are concerned.
We are still part of a bigger piece of the jigsaw, which is Europe.

http://www.consultancy.uk/news/2852/new ... since-2005

As I read this it seems big bike sales are relatively stable it's the smaller scooter/commuter market that fluctuates and that the mini recession in 08/09 hit sales, which is understandable as many were made redundant or where in fear of redundancy

--
Steve Parry

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 am

I believe the golden years of biking were in the late 80's, and then again (after the recession), in the 90's
The point I'm trying to make is that no matter how sales appear to be growing now, they are still well below the figures back then.
You don't have to be a statistician to see that.
Look how many dealerships have collapsed in the last 10-15 years.
That just doesn't happen in a buoyant market place.
I'm quite friendly with the owner of a large multi franchise dealership locally.
He tells me that it's much harder to stay afloat nowadays compared to 20-30 years ago.

Truer words were never spoken

:cry:

Return to “Boxerbanter”