Have BMW really shaken off the pipe and slippers image

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

nab 301

Re: Have BMW really shaken off the pipe and slippers image

Postby nab 301 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:17 pm

The original survey , who's still here ....
The average age back in 2011 was 47.8 yrs according to my calculations at the time.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13564&hilit=average+age+of+forum

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Reminds me of a quote,not sure by whom - a politicians uses statistics rather like a drunk uses a lamppost - more for support than illumination.
I can see fontana's point tho - not as many coming into motorcycling so average age is bound to go up. I think the manufactures realise this as well. I was at the Scottish Bike Show on Saturday and admittedly it isn't a good representation of manufacturers, there were only 3 who had 125s on show - Honda, KTM and Yamaha and the Yamaha was, I think, £4300!!!!! :shock:
A 17 year old then needs to keep this for 2 years before progressing to a larger bike for another 2 years before unrestricted. With this in mind, which one of us would go down the bike route versus the car? I personally do not enjoy driving at all but it is the easier route for the yoof to gain mobility - then, it just becomes another mode of transport where once you've passed your test you don't need/want to further your skills - sorry that's another post - rant over :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:51 pm

dave the german wrote:Reminds me of a quote,not sure by whom - a politicians uses statistics rather like a drunk uses a lamppost - more for support than illumination.
I can see fontana's point tho - not as many coming into motorcycling so average age is bound to go up. I think the manufactures realise this as well. I was at the Scottish Bike Show on Saturday and admittedly it isn't a good representation of manufacturers, there were only 3 who had 125s on show - Honda, KTM and Yamaha and the Yamaha was, I think, £4300!!!!! :shock:
A 17 year old then needs to keep this for 2 years before progressing to a larger bike for another 2 years before unrestricted. With this in mind, which one of us would go down the bike route versus the car? I personally do not enjoy driving at all but it is the easier route for the yoof to gain mobility - then, it just becomes another mode of transport where once you've passed your test you don't need/want to further your skills - sorry that's another post - rant over :lol:

I reckon the new upcoming BMW 310 bikes are aimed squarely at the new young riders.
About bloody time BMW.
:x

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 pm

dave the german wrote:Reminds me of a quote,not sure by whom - a politicians uses statistics rather like a drunk uses a lamppost - more for support than illumination.

statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is exciting, what they conceal is vital
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:15 pm

fontana wrote:

I reckon the new upcoming BMW 310 bikes are aimed squarely at the new young riders.
About bloody time BMW.
:x

and are cheaper than the Yamaha 125 R1 replica :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 pm

But you can't ride them as a 17 yr old - there's not a lot of choice out there to look cool - uber important at that age. it's an important category (if we want biking to survive) and it seems to be neglected. The industry needs to get people past the first stage
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 pm

slparry wrote:
fontana wrote:Well I'll take that under advisement
Recently I went to my local dealers launch evening.
It was packed, and I certainly didn't see the cross section you describe.
Mostly, the people there fitted the stereotypical image of a BMW rider, including me I suppose in the context of age, (although I don't cover myself head to toe in dayglo and have his and hers matching riding suits with the Mrs)
I also recently attended a meeting of my local BMW riders club, and it was exactly the same story.
I'm not knocking it.
Whatever brings in the revenue and keeps the market buoyant.

most of our launch evening was the same, I guess the younger ones, being a Friday night, were most likely on the lash somewhere :D

And at a certain age group we'll go anywhere for free food, free drinks and motorbikes to look at lol
Aye, I agree with both those perceptions. Getting 17 year olds on to bikes? big ask.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 am

'round here a lot of kids grow up riding offroad from a young age so that is a good intro to riding. The other big drawcard is that you can be on the road alone riding on L plates from 16 whilst you need 12 months on Car L's and to have turned 17 before you can go for your license.
This is a big attraction for young apprentices

Most of these kids will be riding cheap small bikes (limited by power/ weight) and may not progress beyond, but they will still have their unlimited license later when they have the cash and desire for another bike

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:35 am

After a CB 750 K2, a Z900 Kawasaki,and Maico 250 MX, I was 24 when I bought my first BMW, an R90s...on my 5th now at 67.:wink:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Jeff Highland wrote:The other big drawcard is that you can be on the road alone riding on L plates from 16

I did read somewhere that there are proposals afoot to change this.
Sorry, I cannot remember where I read it and can't find any links, but it was an official document.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:03 am

I Reckon the average age of the BMW rider is kept down by the amount of the 4 cylinder superbikes sold for racing. If they were to go back into the scoot/ped market then they could get it down further. Generally they make bikes for the mature minded buyer. I am 60 next and I am looking forward to my next sportsbike. I keep my weight down I exercise regularly and can still crouch and enjoy a sportsbike. My faculties have never been great but with maturity I work harder at not taking things for granted. Entering maturity is not about resigning oneself from anything. You can still do things accordingly. Lot of sense in what I say. Take a look at what indulgence has done to our NHS and social services. A nation growing fatter and lazier, feckin unsustainable mate! Scotlands demographic of health issues is a disgrace. Lots of young people up here who could not put there leg over a motorbike never mind ride one.

A role model passed away recently, A Dapper Dan until his death.

Why would BMW want to shake off the P and S syndrome? It is a good business plan if you ask me.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:08 am

Yeah but, where is there a space to stow your deep fried Mars bar on modern BM? eh? EH?, pah, theres barely room for a packet of Werthers originals :wink:

steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:31 am

Thats why they put pockets in your Rukka suit Steve!
John M

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:51 am

boxerscott wrote:Why would BMW want to shake off the P and S syndrome? It is a good business plan if you ask me.

Great post, but in answer to this question, I think the lack of young riders is a concern for all the manufacturers.
The demographic in the UK is pretty much the same as in the rest of the developed world.
The problem is that once people like us put away the helmet for the last time, there isn't anyone left to take over from us.
It's as though the powers that be want to get ride of bikes, by putting people off ever getting started.
Personally I think as the years go on, the bike makers are going to invest less and less into what is becoming an ever diminishing sector of the market, concentrating instead on emerging and buoyant economies like Asia / India.
Just as a foot note, I think it's important that we all acknowledge young riders on small bikes and scoots.
Yes I know they can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but they're doing nothing worse than what we were doing at their age, and these young people represent the future of bikes.
So I always give them a nod on the road, and sometimes have a bit of a chin wag about their bikes when I see them parked up.
It used to happen to me at their age, and helped get me into biking in such a big way, all my adult life.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm

When we first moved up to the Borders there were quite a few young lads buzzing about on scoots and the odd race rep 125. That was 10 years ago. Now they are scarce, barely noticeable. Our local bike dealer/repair /mot facility Olivers at Denholm sells more quad bikes to the farmers than they do scoots to the lads. Definitely a decline in youngsters choosing two wheels as a mode of transport and I would say that may probably be mirrored by BAB`s I would agree that there is a decline in two wheel ownership. I think the main reason for it is prioritising income. I would guess that figures are in decline in other Western European economies too. I barely even read about WSB these days let alone watch it. Hardly a shop window for the manufacturers as it used to be.

Motorcycling is definitely growing old despite the fantastic machines that are rolling off the lines with amazing technology included.

Enjoy it while we can. (says me who is yet to ride my Xmas prezzie :? )
Fiat Panda.

Return to “Boxerbanter”