Mileage

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 pm

bikesnbones wrote:
Blackal wrote:It's entirely probable that there are those who enjoy using a bike commercially - but I wouldn't be surprised if it tempers their enthusiasm for recreational biking.

Take the average Mon-Fri worker - come the weekend, they are probably keen to get out on their bikes

The fella who's spent all week on his bike - has probably sated his desire when the weekend comes around. "busmans' holiday" springs to mind.

Al

Not so sure you can generalise like that,
My uncle was a traffic officer in the Met on bikes, (back in the days when we had a proper traffic division).
He rode all day, every day at work, and in his free time was always either riding, or working on one of his several bikes.
He lived and breathed bikes, and I'm sure he's not an isolated example
Ironically, what finished his riding career were injuries sustained falling out of a tree trying to recover his Grandsons frisbee.
:(

Surely a "generalism" (or several) carry more credibility than citing one person as the argument which disproves the "rule" ?

I was very careful in including "probably" - which is a clue that it is merely my opinion - and not based upon scientific evidence.

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 am

Blackal wrote:It's entirely probable that there are those who enjoy using a bike commercially - but I wouldn't be surprised if it tempers their enthusiasm for recreational biking.

Take the average Mon-Fri worker - come the weekend, they are probably keen to get out on their bikes

The fella who's spent all week on his bike - has probably sated his desire when the weekend comes around. "busmans' holiday" springs to mind.

Al

I love it, and your right Al, but for me, and the missus, it works well. I get to ride some great roads around Wales, Hereford, Gloucester during the week, less Nutters and PC Plod to worry about. Come the weekend yep, there is no burning desire to get out, but again thats good as it means I get to do other stuff with the missus whos just not into bikes. Its sad I know, but personally I dont miss riding around here weekends, its madness, and perhaps even sadder is the fact that 2 years ago it was a bunch of weekend warriors who put paid to the missus ever coming out on the bike again, they frightened the life out of her, shame really, but thats life I suppose, I count myself lucky.
---------------------------

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:10 am

Blackal wrote:Surely a "generalism" (or several) carry more credibility than citing one person as the argument which disproves the "rule" ?

Ah so it's a rule.
People who ride for a living will have no interest in riding in their own time.
How can you generalise like that and call it a rule.
Has some sort of survey been done that I don't know about ?
How on earth do you know that
So according to you, the majority of people who ride bikes for a living just want to get away from them in their own time.
It must be true, because YOU SAY IT IS.
:lol:
If my example is weak, then could you post up your evidence that proves this rule of yours.
Not your theory.
Actual evidence.
Look forward to that
:roll:

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 am

bikesnbones wrote:
Blackal wrote:Surely a "generalism" (or several) carry more credibility than citing one person as the argument which disproves the "rule" ?

Ah so it's a rule.
So according to you, the majority of people who ride bikes for a living just want to get away from them in their own time.
If my example is weak, then could you post up your evidence that proves this rule of yours.
Not your theory.
Actual evidence.
Look forward to that

Many apologies - I used the term "rule" only because it forms part of an oft-quoted phrase - "The exception that proves the rule" or something :?

Why don't I modify it and preceed everything with "my perception", cos that's all it is meant to be, like opinion.

Al :D

You are really Boxerboy2 - and I claim my prize :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 am

Blackal wrote:
bikesnbones wrote:

Ah so it's a rule.
Not your theory.
Actual evidence.
Look forward to that

Many apologies - I used the term "rule" only because it forms part of an oft-quoted phrase - "The exception that proves the rule" or something :?

Why don't I modify it and preceed everything with "my perception", cos that's all it is meant to be, like opinion.

Al :D

You are really Boxerboy2 - and I claim my prize :wink:

Back in the 80's I used to ride for a living as a courier.
Many of us used to meet up weekends to ride to the coast and generally piss about on our bikes.
Whilst I accept that many people would rather get away from what they do for a living in their own time, I've met an awful who don't because they are passionate.
I think you'd have be to do what Stan the courier did,
Thousands of miles a month, all year around in all weathers,
There are easier ways to make a living

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:20 am

I must say I am with you Blackal on this one. I made a hobby into a business that I was involved in for 16 years involving boats having spent all my life sailing. After a few years in that business the last thing I wanted to do was spend my spare time playing with boats.

I am certain if I worked with motorcycles it would turn my lifelong motorcycle infatuation into a no go area. Bikes are an escape mechanism from the everyday, from the mundane, and provide the real spark called "living" as opposed to the everyday. Because I can't use the bike more than 2/3 days a week absolute maximum, when I do use it, its a treat.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:44 am

eyore wrote:I must say I am with you Blackal on this one. I made a hobby into a business that I was involved in for 16 years involving boats having spent all my life sailing. After a few years in that business the last thing I wanted to do was spend my spare time playing with boats.

I am certain if I worked with motorcycles it would turn my lifelong motorcycle infatuation into a no go area. Bikes are an escape mechanism from the everyday, from the mundane, and provide the real spark called "living" as opposed to the everyday. Because I can't use the bike more than 2/3 days a week absolute maximum, when I do use it, its a treat.

Point being is that just because you feel that way, it's wrong to assume that everyone would, don't you agree ?

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:49 am

bikesnbones wrote:
eyore wrote:I must say I am with you Blackal on this one. I made a hobby into a business that I was involved in for 16 years involving boats having spent all my life sailing. After a few years in that business the last thing I wanted to do was spend my spare time playing with boats.

Point being is that just because you feel that way, it's wrong to assume that everyone would, don't you agree ?

Yes I agree Andy. However its not a huge leap of faith to assume that there would definitely be others who would agree. :wink:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:12 pm

eyore wrote:
bikesnbones wrote:

Yes I agree Andy. However its not a huge leap of faith to assume that there would definitely be others who would agree. :wink:

Yep, it's impossible to generalize.
Whilst you and I wouldn't want to do it, there are many many people who do turn their passion into a successful living and still enjoy doing it.

Return to “Boxerbanter”