Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:35 am

Over cautious these days.
My riding style can only be described as scrappy

eyore

Postby eyore » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:42 am

I can only be described as a riding goddess. :queen: and modest too [smilie=biker.gif] :mrgreen:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Mister C (Marsh)

Postby Mister C (Marsh) » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:17 pm

What a great thread...
Me I'm steady to slow, not confident really, sad after 40 years of riding :shock: don't like junctions. My problem is that I no longer ride through the winter so each year is catch up to where I was. I have been looking at the IAM lately.

Good to know that others feel the same way. Oh and in the car, no worries! Started with it and shall end with it... What a great thread, thank you.

Regards Marsh
er, mmmmm I'll think of something funny soon.

Al

Postby Al » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 pm

I am a god at everything I do, but only when I am dreaming :D, seriously tho`I am pretty steady most of the time especially at junctions etc but as was mentioned earlier quite happy to cane it on a clear road that I know. As I have two completely different styles of bike it takes a while to dial in when swapping between them and reflexes are definitely slower.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:59 pm

I think we can all relate to something that someone has written here - used to ride all year round and now don't so probably over cautious on greasy roads (if that's possible), don't ride as much as I would like, OK on roads I know but same as Bikesnbones on roads I don't know but I do get the vanishing point. Did advanced training years ago and worked as an instructor up to test standard. A few years ago I was happy enough with my riding but as Chris put it, "could do better" now. Observation is, I think, good but that comes from driving a wagon, but also because of it very cautious when I see cars waiting to pull out at junctions. Just need to ride more but I find I lose concentration so easy - probably used to being able to drive the truck on "auto". It's strange driving the truck as you tend not to be 100% but can get 100% concentration in an instant as soon as you see anything such as brake lights in the distance and I have to say that's where I learned observation
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

HerrFlick

Re: Honest opinion of your Ability

Postby HerrFlick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:48 am

bikesnbones wrote:
R/Handers are OK (ish), but L/Handers are a real weakness for me and I often find myself tucking into the nearside for fear of drifting out onto the wrong side.

That bit caught my eye.

Within a few months of getting my licence in 1969 I noticed that LH corners came more naturally than RH. I could go just as quickly but I had to concentrate more.

A few years ago I heard this mentioned and ran a few 'straw polls' w/ surprising results. (On one US forum ppl seemed completely unable to answer either question and meandered off on to how an 18-wheeler tried to kill their bro in law or what they rode in 1953 .... )

OK:

Don't spend too much time thinking:

Q: which turn comes easier to you: LH or RH?

Q: are you l/handed, r/handed or amphibious (yeah yeah ambidextrous)?

Cheers

John C.
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 am

LH corner, Right handed. I was a decent BMXer back in my teens, and you always have a prefered way to spin when doing 360s or 180s etc... for me it was left. I think thants why I 'prefer' LH turns in my head, but due to hitting round abouts fast, I'm happier leaning further over and being more agressive going right....

I've always been a confident bike rider, but would consider myself safe rather than fast (or I try to be anyway).

I was scared of over-leaning any bike until I got a BMW. For me, and I'm sure many others, the forks give much more confidence than standard springy ones.

I know my observation on blind corners sucks, and my overtaking is rubbish, as was pointed out by my recent bikesafe instructor, so I'm planning to do my IAM soon to try and be better.
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

leasky

Postby leasky » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:56 am

I suppose that basically, most of the bikes I have owned have had more capacity then my ability to use them to their full potential.

However, I have found the Mamola to be a very forgiving bike and it has caused me to re-access my riding style / ability. I am probably riding it to within more of its useable capacity then I have done with any other bike in the past 3 decades.

For me now, its more about holding a steady pace, maintaining the speed around bends and trying to read the road so as to use minimal brakes.

I dont use either of the bikes during winter and I just wish I was home more often to get more miles done during the "better" months up here. :roll:
Leasky

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 am

leasky wrote:For me now, its more about holding a steady pace, maintaining the speed around bends and trying to read the road so as to use minimal brakes.

Bingo, Although if I still had a bike capable of warp speed, I probably would attempt to reach it on a regular basis :oops: As it is, I spend most of the time about 85mph and don't like to slow down (apart from towns & villages that is) :wink: but I'm definitely not one for 'Mystic Meg' overtaking, and hate to pass on solid white lines, even if they are completely in the wrong place at times :x The S is suiting me nicely as I can use all it has, most of the time. I am probably over cautious in built up areas though, but that might be because my worst accident was in a 30mph limit (SMIDSY) :roll:

My car driving has deteriorated over the past few years, I'm WAY to aggressive, easily get pissed at other drivers and throw the dog bus about like a track car (unless I've got the dogs in it!!), I need to get a grip to be honest. Much rather be on the bike :)
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:31 am

Don't take my word for it. I dug this Bikesafe assessment out from a couple of years ago. A good to high standard on most things. Always room for improvement though, and I try to improve / practice a specific element on every ride.

Sometimes I will go out and decide that I am going to hit every speed limit reduction exactly without brakes, or I might decide to concentrate on chasing vanishing points. Too much to think about if you try to pull it all together at once, so if you concentrate on one thing, that eventually becomes second nature, then you can move on to something else.

********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 am

this was mine Jim.

Paul Cheshire (the organiser of the NW Bikesafe) did the assessment and noted

"Stephen rode to the conditions but made good progress. Impressive smoothness and positioning for corners and other hazards. The assessment was over limited mileage (about 30) but what I saw demonstrated low risk. However, I have an impression that restraint might be an issue for speed limits. Well done and keep it up. "

I think that means he says I should keep up the lack of restraint for speed limits doesn't it? :twisted:
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 am

Bumped into an old mate yesterday so decided a pint was in order it was just like old times mixed roads motorway down to lanes we still got to the pub before the others sorry to say it but the sun was shining and we were both on harley's
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:15 am

slparry wrote:this was mine Jim.

[img]However, I have an impression that restraint might be an issue for speed limits.

That genuinely made me laugh out loud.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

nab 301

Re: Honest opinion of your Ability

Postby nab 301 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 pm

HerrFlick wrote:
bikesnbones wrote:
R/Handers are OK (ish), but L/Handers are a real weakness for me and I often find myself tucking into the nearside for fear of drifting out onto the wrong side.

That bit caught my eye.

Within a few months of getting my licence in 1969 I noticed that LH corners came more naturally than RH. I could go just as quickly but I had to concentrate more.

A few years ago I heard this mentioned and ran a few 'straw polls' w/ surprising results. (On one US forum ppl seemed completely unable to answer either question and meandered off on to how an 18-wheeler tried to kill their bro in law or what they rode in 1953 .... )

OK:

Don't spend too much time thinking:

Q: which turn comes easier to you: LH or RH?

Q: are you l/handed, r/handed or amphibious (yeah yeah ambidextrous)?

Cheers

John C.

Assuming you ride on the left hand side of the road and the road is appropriately cambered it'll always be left hand corners are easier , because the camber helps cornering , I've never been to mainland Europe but i'm sure i'd find R/H corners in France easier for the same reason. Anything else is surely lack of confidence and/or poor road positioning..... Isn't it...?

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

meds8964

Postby meds8964 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm

im sh--e
IF YOU THINK IM UGLY YOU WANNA SEE MY BROTHERS

Return to “Boxerbanter”