GS Opinions Please

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

andy griff

1200S

Postby andy griff » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 pm

+1 on the 'patent nonsense' about the 1200S :evil:

Stonking machine that is a big grin inducer. If you liked the 1100S its just a bit more of the experience, plus lighter and better handling.

It is no good as a pillion machine ( unless you really dislike said passenger :D )

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Is it worse than a TRX850?
Gary

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:06 am

A read through here http://www.ukgser.com/ would give you an idea. There is a lot of piss take but fairly good advice if you know who is actually talking sense. 06/07 models had some teething problems like final drives that were supposed to be sealed for life, EWS antennae, FPC problems. BMW has listened and the 08/09 models aka MU (model update) has had some refinements and a styling update, subtle like the front beak and the handle bars and the option of ESA. The ESA can be replaced with aftermarket fitments from Ohlins and Wilbers. The fuel strip seems to be the biggest problem but BMW is aware of it so have a word with the dealer about it if it happens. Fixes has been discussed on UKGSer and ADVrider that works. From 2010 the twin cam engine was introduced (TU or technical update) which had a new head and exhaust system. From late 2010 the fuel strip was replaced by a float. These are the ones to get. Much better motor and fewer issues.

The GS or Adventure in particular will do anything you ask of it. It has its limitations but for the majority it is a good fit. It is really good on unfamiliar roads, has a massive tank range like 290-330 mls for the Adventure, good luggage capacity and is very easy to ride. The Adventure is even a handy track tool but less competent in the mud/sand because of the weight. It loves gravel roads and any kind of bumpy twisty tarmac. You can do with it what you want. Some guys have turned it into a supermoto type thingy, others have made it the ultimate IBA kind of bike to cover vast distances. The Adventure has better luggage, better wind protection and because it is higher, better visibility of the road.

The new LC 1200GS is a different beast. Miles better than the old model. The engine is so smooth you'll wonder if it is a twin and very responsive. Lots of toys to get used to but not everybody likes it so a few second hand ones about. The ergonomics is the same but some complain about the seat. The new Adventure model is out next year so BMW are offering £1800 worth of free kit with a new Adventure and RT.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 am

tanneman wrote: The engine is so smooth you'll wonder if it is a twin

This is a problem for me.
Part of the appeal of the BMW Twin is the "rawness"
They feel organic, like they are alive.
Character if you like.
If I want a bland, antiseptic 2 wheel car, then I'll go back to a Japanese bike.

dazman

Postby dazman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:27 pm

eyore wrote:
Malc wrote:Cheers for the replies.

They also said to avoid the 1200s They reckoned the 1200s is difficult to get running smoothly and can be difficult in traffic.

Patent nonsense. :roll: :roll:

But in fairness, they would be less than ideal for commuting.

Commute on my GS 1200 every day, 50 mile round trip which is a mix of A roads and town. So far I have done 20k's worth of commuting and love it.

Eventhough I'm not short at 5.10 I did go for a low seat so I could put both feet on the floor.

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:58 pm

dazman wrote:
eyore wrote:
Malc wrote:Cheers for the replies.

They also said to avoid the 1200s They reckoned the 1200s is difficult to get running smoothly and can be difficult in traffic.

Patent nonsense. :roll: :roll:

But in fairness, they would be less than ideal for commuting.

Commute on my GS 1200 every day, 50 mile round trip which is a mix of A roads and town. So far I have done 20k's worth of commuting and love it.

Eventhough I'm not short at 5.10 I did go for a low seat so I could put both feet on the floor.

Commute on a GS absolutely , but on an 12S, sure you could but,c'mon. :shock:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Sporty bikes make good commuters if you can cope with the riding position. Narrow bars.

My old ZX9R was great for commuting on.
Gary

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Forgot to add, the R1100S tankbag will fit perfectly on the 1200GS and Adventure models.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:46 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Fri May 01, 2015 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harry Lime

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:43 am

[quote="
I tend to use it in the city more than the S because despite being bigger and heavier it's easier to ride, even at slow speeds, and the suspension is much more suited to the shit roads in London.

quote]

I used my 1100S in London traffic and usually got held up, and still do, behind GS's because of the width of their handlebars. The GS was too wide for the Gaps that the S could get through.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:54 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote: I used my 1100S in London traffic and usually got held up, and still do, behind GS's because of the width of their handlebars. The GS was too wide for the Gaps that the S could get through.

+1. It's a struggle in London on the GS, but on the 100RS even with panniers it's a lot more straightforward... Just as well, 'cos yesterday at 7pm it was 104F on the Cromwell Road and the old airhead simply kept on chugging - very impressed!

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:53 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:quote]

I used my 1100S in London traffic and usually got held up, and still do, behind GS's because of the width of their handlebars. The GS was too wide for the Gaps that the S could get through.

Yes, of course I can go through tighter gaps with the S but in terms of overall handling the GS is more suited. I don't ride in rush hour much anymore so my riding tends to be in less dense traffic and in that scenario the GS is much better for me.

The biggest problem I see with a GS in central London is the numpties who go everywhere will all their (probably empty) luggage attached!

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:00 pm

metropolis2k wrote:
The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:quote]

Yes, of course I can go through tighter gaps with the S but in terms of overall handling the GS is more suited. I don't ride in rush hour much anymore so my riding tends to be in less dense traffic and in that scenario the GS is much better for me.

The biggest problem I see with a GS in central London is the numpties who go everywhere will all their (probably empty) luggage attached!

now be fair you can't get the Ewan and thingy effect with out aluminium boxes :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 pm

eyore wrote:
dazman wrote:
eyore wrote:
Malc wrote:.

Commute on a GS absolutely , but on an 12S, sure you could but,c'mon. :shock:

We had at least two couriers on here who couriered on 11S's so I'm sure apart from the cost it can be done on a 12S :wink:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

eyore

Postby eyore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Sure there was an article in MCN last year of a fella couriering on a gsxr k8 with over 100k miles done :shock:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Return to “Boxerbanter”