you should check the German sites ; R1200S HP Sport pictures

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

twodear

Touring is not on the scope of supply for this bike

Postby twodear » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:20 am

Check out this article from an Australian magazine.

no fore or aft subframe, electronic gear changes, built in lap timing transmitter-receiver, close ratio 6-speed, 199kg fully fuelled, and on and on.

HP2 Sport - Die perfekteste Boxer - Written by Damien Cook - Saturday, 29 September 2007

In 1973 Paris was the venue for the launch of the legendary R 90 S, taking BMW into the modern sports bike era. Thirty-four years later Paris was again the launch site when BMW Motorrad boss Herbert Diess took the covers off what could well be the ultimate Sports Boxer; The HP2 Sport.

The HP2 Sport is the third model in the exclusive HP range and presents to BMW sports riders the lightest and most powerful boxer yet. This stunning bike owes much to the BMW Motorsport Endurance machines that this season contested 24-hour events. Like the HP2 Enduro and Megamoto the HP2 Sport is aimed at the rider who wants an exclusive motorcycle equipped with the highest quality components and is innovative, functional and dynamic.

The HP2 Sport has the presence of a sports motorcycle. The carbon fibre bodywork in white, with the top of the fairing in black accentuates the BMW Motorsport Blue lattice frame and the surfaced-milled forged wheels. The rear wheel is a feature; it seems to be floating away from the motorcycle. The front of the fairing, holding the headlight, is self-supporting as is the rear section holding the seat. The CFK carbon fibre is strong and saves weight due to having no need for a separate frame. The belly pan is also carbon fibre and as well as protecting the under-engine exhausts, is an integral part of the aerodynamic package. The frontal area is smaller than the R 1200 S but still offers the rider class leading protection from the elements.

At the heart of the HP2 Sport is the beautiful boxer motor. It is the very essence of BMW, the signature engine and an on-going relationship that began in 1923 with the first BMW motorcycle, the R 32.The most innovative technical feature of the 96 kW/130 hp motor is use of chain driven double overhead cams with valves actuated by very light drag lever which gives a maximum of 9,500 rpm. The four valves, set in a radial pattern, produce a compact and efficient new head design that does not require twin spark plugs as in the other R models. Each camshaft controls an intake and an exhaust valve with 39 mm intake and 33 mm exhaust. The clearance is controlled with shims as in the K 1200 engines. The cylinder head covers are carbon fibre and fitted with replaceable hard plastic slip pads. The pistons are forged high strength light-weight units with a new design conrod that gives the bike the ability to quickly reach maximum power at 8,750 rpm and a maximum torque of 115 Nm at 6,000 rpm. This is a boxer that is aimed at the high performance end of the spectrum.

The stainless two-into-one exhaust system is fitted with an active exhaust flap that is placed in front of the silencer and is electronically controlled by servomotor with cable actuation. This gives a nice fat torque curve and enhances the already rider friendly boxer characteristics. The exhaust system is routed under the bike, thus increasing possible lean angle and exits under the self-supporting seat, which has enhanced ventilation that takes away the heat, leaving the rider in comfort. None of this compromises ground clearance for normal road riding. This is a sports bike conceived in the endurance racer program, so rider comfort is anything but an after thought; it is an integral part of the design. The HP2 is compact with the seating position moved closer to the front of the bike, placing the weight forward and in turn providing the rider with a more upright riding position than on other sports machines. This means less strain on wrists and back, something the endurance racing team appreciated as they raced into the long day and night, an attribute that will also be welcomed by owners of the HP2 Sport. To further enhance rider comfort, the milled aluminium foot pegs are adjustable via an eccentric cam. They can be moved fore and aft or adjusted for height. The handlebars, also milled aluminium, can also be set up for personal preference by adjusting the offset. With adjustable levers the HP2 can be tailored to all tastes and riding styles. Race technology is also introduced on the HP2 Sport with the fitting of a six speed close-ratio gearbox with gear- assist. This means that while riding in a spirited manner, perhaps on the track, clutchless gear changes produce optimum performance. Of course if the conditions or riding situation dictate the use of the clutch in the normal manner it is simply a matter of just pulling in the lever and carrying on as usual. When using gear-assist there is no need to close the throttle, it is all done electronically. Moving the gear lever automatically activates the system.

The brakes have also been taken straight from the race bike. Single-piece, radially mounted four-piston Brembo callipers with twin 320 mm discs are up front and a double piston 265 mm is at the rear. There is, of course, a switchable ‘sports modified’ ABS as an option. This stopping power will mash the 55 series tyres (120/70 ZR17 front and 190/55 ZR17 rear) controllably into the bitumen. At 178 kg dry or 199 kg with the 16 L tank full of premium unleaded the HP2 Sport is the lightest boxer of the modern era and is designed for dynamic performance on road or track. The Telelever front suspension and the Paralever rear are equipped with multi-adjustable premium Öhlins shockers. The bike can be tuned into all riding conditions and preferences by raising or lowering the rear ride height. All the tools required to carry out all the suspension work are included with the bike.

Climbing aboard the 830 mm seat and settling in, the rider will notice the 2D Systems GP instrument panel that is straight from world of MotoGP. Two switches on the left handlebar give the rider many options. While on the road, speedo, tacho, clock, multi-trip meters and fuel remaining are all in view. Flick to race mode and it can give a different view with revs, gear selection, pre planned gear change lights and many other functions. It can also record lap times and other info that can be downloaded for later review. There is an expansion pack that has lap timing with a transmitter/receiver unit and GPS tracking for the serious racer or track day junkie. There are many other details that are integral to the HP2 Sport, designed to lighten without compromising comfort or longevity. The lightweight alternator is such an item. Hidden away, this unit is derived from the competition world where every kilo saved is an increase in power.

The HP2 Sport is a stunning example of the excitement that BMW Motorrad is creating with the HP range and in the current and future model line up. The HP2 Sport will be available toward the middle of next year and like the other two HP models will be available on individual order basis only, as these bikes are built on a separate small-scale production line. If you are interested see your BMW Motorrad dealer now.
Taken from BeeEm World October.

BeeEm is The monthly magazine of the BMW Motorcycle Club of Victoria
Last Updated ( Saturday, 29 September 2007 )
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:19 am

boxerscott wrote:Hmnn interesting, a proper boxer sportsbike! what price then?

...over here it starts with 24.950,-- Euros... :shock: :shock:
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

twodear

currency conversion

Postby twodear » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:44 pm

RoLoo,

how is it that you can get any idea of the price at this point in time. I can't even get my local dealer to confirm that the R1200S HP2 Sport is a possibility (to be fair, it might be something with homologation for use in Oz).

Euro 24950 = AUD40050...I think I can swing that.
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

RoLoo

Re: currency conversion

Postby RoLoo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:45 am

twodear wrote:...how is it that you can get any idea of the price at this point in time...

Euro 24950 = AUD40050...I think I can swing that.

...very simple ; the dealer told me...

...almost forgot something...
...in that 25K we have a luxury tax (we have that over here on all cars and bikes), and (at this moment) 19% VAT (next year 20%)...

...around 18,5K without any tax...
Have a nice day !

Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT

(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

stoney

Postby stoney » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:23 am

What a cracking looking bike...just a shame the colours are boring.

this is where it all goes wrong...

Walkaround video here
http://www.motormeuk.nl/bekijken/535/fi ... Sport.html
Andy

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:13 am

All that carbon fibre on show?? - Oh Yes :blob6:

Looks good to me :thumbleft:

sandbar

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:43 am

I like white bikes. It looks fantastic. I wonder if there'll be a sport touring version so it can be ridden on the roads for more than an hour. I want higher bars!

Man-of-Mystery

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:00 pm

f90x wrote:I wonder if there'll be a sport touring version so it can be ridden on the roads for more than an hour.

*passes f90x the jam*

M-o-M
07 R1200S

Love your enemies - it'll drive the bastards crazy!

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Bloody right I want jam on it! For the money they're going to ask!

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:48 pm

f90x wrote:I wonder if there'll be a sport touring version so it can be ridden on the roads for more than an hour. I want higher bars!

:thefinger: AKA Bmw Fahrer :?: :?: :?:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

winger

Postby winger » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Only need a felt tipped pen!!,can draw a big smilie face to go with the two black eyes peering out of the back!!!

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:17 pm

Have a nice day !

Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT

(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

oyster

Postby oyster » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:39 pm

And where do the pannier rails bolt up?
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:48 pm

oyster wrote:And where do the pannier rails bolt up?

...your name isn't Chris I hope... :shock:
Have a nice day !

Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT

(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:03 pm

so... If the cooking R1200S is "Sport, Sport, Sport", what does that make this? Sport sport sport sport? :roll:

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “Boxerbanter”