Boxer Superbike

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:37 pm

stoney wrote:
I wasn't going to stick my neck out as I'm hardly one to talk :oops:

Me also...although we still can make good *cough* progress though ;)

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:47 pm

I cant

However
Have seen loads of bikes today, rode new tiger 1050 too. Looked at various aprilia racing tuonos etc.

Im coming tio my senses.
Between sticking with an R1200s and
on a slightly more mental note have seen a beautiful gixxer k4 750 with full yoshi system, wavey disks, dyno, etc etc and only 3500 miles. Very nice, very small but what a toy for the tt
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

stoney

Postby stoney » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:52 pm

PBBoxer wrote:Im coming tio my senses.
Between sticking with an R1200s and
on a slightly more mental note have seen a beautiful gixxer k4 750 with full yoshi system, wavey disks, dyno, etc etc and only 3500 miles. Very nice, very small but what a toy for the tt

I'll just remind you that on Sunday you said that you'd realised that you never wanted another sportsbike again :roll:

And I thought I was fickle and indecisive :?
Andy

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:53 pm

its so pretty tho

and the tt is only a couple of weeks of pain!
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

stoney

Postby stoney » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:56 pm

PBBoxer wrote:its so pretty tho

I know, I know :evil:

But if you blast by someone on a gixxer they expect you to do it....if you blast past them on a BM of any description they'll always be gutted :twisted:

I know I was gutted when this geezer blast past me on a TDM :wink:
Andy

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:14 pm

Been watching the Sportboxer at Le Mans on eurosport,Lots of nice things being said about the BMW and it sounds f-----g wonderfull. Currently in 23rd place ahead of the MV and 10+ places in front of some thing called a 1098!! I NEED ONE, I'll even forgo the panniers!!

Peter.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:09 pm

Now upto 18th, not mega fast but keeps on going!!!

stoney

Postby stoney » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:07 am

herrman wrote:Now upto 18th, not mega fast but keeps on going!!!

Still 18th this morning. 32 laps down! 5 seconds slower a lap than the leader but the only OPEN class bike still going. Pretty impressive overall I think.
Andy

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:07 pm

More pics of reserve ride Nate Kern:

http://gallery.reedmoto.com/thumbnails.php?album=12

HJ

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Taken from the Roadracingworld website...

BMW BACK WITH A FLOURISH!
BMW returned to world championship motorcycle racing with a flourish at the gruelling Le Mans 24 hour race, ending with a win in their class and a highly impressive 16th overall on their Sportsboxer bike. Despite being down on horsepower compared to their rivals, riders Thomas Hinterreiter, Rico Penzkofer and Marcus Barth and hustled the twin round the 4.180 kilometre Bugatti circuit, entertaining the sun-soaked spectators with their late-braking manoeuvres and speed through the turns* . Throughout the twenty-four hours and 776 laps, the bike’s twin-cylinder engine never missed a beat. Considering that the bike has only had one shakedown test, and that most of the top teams did not suffer any grave misfortunes or DNFs, to finish sixteenth overall was a tremendous result and one that will give the whole team a huge boost for the season ahead.

Lots of :) :) :)

*But the Telelever gives no feedback??? :?

GeordieBoy

Postby GeordieBoy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:32 pm

But if you blast by someone on a gixxer they expect you to do it....if you blast past them on a BM of any description they'll always be gutted

LOL :laughing6: That's one of the best things about the S for me - not especially powerful but it handles well enough to embarrass riders with considerably more horsepower through the twisties. It's an absolute hoot across the mountains at the TT!

I'm quicker on the S than I was on my 2004 R6. In addition to the suspension it's probably got a lot to do with the riding position, higher levels of engine braking & increased low-down torque you'd expect from a twin.

Only the front end looks of the 11S let it down for me, but you can't have everything - I sometimes wish it looked more purposeful :angry5:
'06 RSVR & '98 FireBlade
Image Image

twodear

Postby twodear » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:44 pm

Gromit wrote:Taken from the Roadracingworld website...

BMW BACK WITH A FLOURISH!
BMW returned to world championship motorcycle racing with a flourish at the gruelling Le Mans 24 hour race, ending with a win in their class and a highly impressive 16th overall on their Sportsboxer bike. Despite being down on horsepower compared to their rivals, riders Thomas Hinterreiter, Rico Penzkofer and Marcus Barth and hustled the twin round the 4.180 kilometre Bugatti circuit, entertaining the sun-soaked spectators with their late-braking manoeuvres and speed through the turns* . Throughout the twenty-four hours and 776 laps, the bike’s twin-cylinder engine never missed a beat. Considering that the bike has only had one shakedown test, and that most of the top teams did not suffer any grave misfortunes or DNFs, to finish sixteenth overall was a tremendous result and one that will give the whole team a huge boost for the season ahead.

Lots of :) :) :)

*But the Telelever gives no feedback??? :?

Yes yes, but...does anyone know if they use the 6 inch or 5.5 inch rear hoop???

There was mention that the team has an official website but I can't find it. Please point a poor blind fella in the right direction?
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:58 am

Gromit wrote:*But the Telelever gives no feedback??? :?

It doesn't, you just need to trust it. That's the only thing I need to work on after riding the S for about 5k km. But, in a week I am off for 8k through France and Spain, so I guess by then I will. Having good tires helps though. I don't really trust the current Conti RA from the previous owner and that does not help confidence either. Hope the new Michelin Pilot Road 2 is better, as I am more or less forced to run an ST tire due to the length of the trip. Back to the real grippy stuff after...
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

keith750cc

Postby keith750cc » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Cheers hjr1100s for the link, have photo on my desktop now.

cheers keith :D
Suzuki GT750's

2007 Speed Triple

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:31 pm

throttlemeister wrote:
Gromit wrote:*But the Telelever gives no feedback??? :?

It doesn't, you just need to trust it. That's the only thing I need to work on after riding the S for about 5k km. But, in a week I am off for 8k through France and Spain, so I guess by then I will. Having good tires helps though. I don't really trust the current Conti RA from the previous owner and that does not help confidence either. Hope the new Michelin Pilot Road 2 is better, as I am more or less forced to run an ST tire due to the length of the trip. Back to the real grippy stuff after...

Sorry...I was being ironic ;)

Return to “Boxerbanter”