Leaking boots

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Archie

Leaking boots

Postby Archie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:10 pm

Who can help me?

I currently wear Sidi Black Rain boots, but they leak :cry:

I'm looking for new boots which are as physically smalll as my Sidis, but are (more) waterproof. I need something with a slim sole and profile, as I don't get on with chunky boots.

Any ideas????????

Al

Postby Al » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:27 pm

If you are happy with the boots apart from the leaking why not consider goretex boot liners from an army surplus store, you may have to wear thinner socks but for about £10 you can keep using a pair of comfy boots and stay dry. If I am doing long trip I put them and a pair of socks in a jacket pocket,

Al
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

gus

Postby gus » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:29 pm

I had a pair of alpine stars gortex which were warm and waterproof,and not bulky.However the downside is that the protection isnt up the standard of your race replica boots.Being as i snapped my ankle after my last off. good armour and protection is a must.
You should consider this regarding your crashing record. :wink:
If you,ve got the dough(which you must have consisdering the motors you own/drive :D )then a pair of daytonas are ya best bet.
gus

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:44 pm

New pair of black rain I am on my second leaking pair now.

I also have a pair of Alpine stars Gor Tex which are 100% waterproof and really warm but a bit chunky, well actually a lot chunky.

Black rain April to October Alpine Stars November to March

Archie

Postby Archie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Thanks Al, it would seem to be a good solution. However, my only concern is that they will be an addition to my daily dressing up routine.

gus wrote:Being as i snapped my ankle after my last off. good armour and protection is a must.
You should consider this regarding your crashing record. :wink:

My god Gus, you're a cheeky sod!

I think good boots will help reduce gravel rash, but my biggest concern is that of hitting something solid. You know, when the land rover pulls out of a field and turns across you when you're doing 100mph down your fave b-road. I've heard too much bollox about armour etc, and I don't believe any of it will help reduce broken bones by any significant amount. BKS are very specific about all their kit only reducing road rash, and their leathers are bomb-proof.

When I had that Merc 'reverse into me' :oops: I was wearing pretty much state of the art kit (BKS, ARAI, etc) but still broke bones putting out my hands for a softer landing.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings, hows the mutant scoot coming on????

Cheers

Archie

Ruffy

leaky boots

Postby Ruffy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:07 pm

I,m sorry to hear about your sidi's archie coz they were in my top 3 choices seeing as i'm on the lookout for some waterproof boots as my altbergs admittedly without the waterproof membrane don't really give me any confidence in the wet altho there showerproof that's about as far as they go,i like the look of the HG puma's with a gore tex membrane tho i wonder if anyone on this site has tried them? :D
ruffy

Al

Postby Al » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 pm

I thourght those big sticky out bits were there to keep ones feet dry :? !!!!

Al
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:32 pm

I've heard too much bollox about armour etc, and I don't believe any of it will help reduce broken bones by any significant amount.

Archie[/quote]

I would agree with that, the only sure fire way of avoiding broken bones is don't ride a bike.

Mind you a boxer is a fair protection for the ankles against land rover man :lol:

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:33 pm

Must learn how to use the qoute thing properly.

Probably not after a couple of bottles of red though :oops:

I'm off now to look at the eclipse.

Archie

Postby Archie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:43 pm

Boxadog 2000 wrote:I'm off now to look at the eclipse.

What eclipse, I couldn't see anything.... :lol:

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:10 am

Oxtar TCS Gortex. Have only had them since November time but been out in some torrential downpours and through deep, huge puddles. not a drop
Altberg are ace but dont normally have teh lightweight soles
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

wilf

Postby wilf » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:42 pm

Archie,
In a shameless bit of opportunism if you like the Sidi boots and fancy giving another pair a go I've got a pair I could let you have at a bargain price,(or anyone else if there interested). Bought them a couple of years ago but didn't get on with the fit so they've been in my cupboard ever since.

Ended up with a pair of A-star SMX Goretex instead which apart from the squeaky armour have been excellent. Been through some horrific downpours and they still keep it all out. Surprisingly warm as well been wearing them through the winter and I can still feel my feet after my 25 mile commute, though its not as cold as it used to be etc etc

Shaun

gus

Postby gus » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi
I use seal skinz in my sidi,s vert 2,s when its wet.They do the job.
Regarding armour,personal choice if you want it or not,It could be the difference between a bruise or broken bones.Lots of boots now hold your feet/ankle/leg in a position so thats its hard for to bend them in a unnatural way.Lots of external armour to prevent abrasion damage too.
Getting real armour into a pair of gloves and leathers is a far more difficult task than a helmet and boots.But every little helps when the shit hits the fan.
The beast prgresss has slowed a little,but it will be completed ASAP.I,ve got a lot more pressing priorities at the moment,which are taking up far too much time and money.After riding the blackturd i cant wait to get back on a boxer.I want to get it done for the latter part of summer.Oh,and i want it featured in PB,they seem to like what they see so far.
Anyway,get the daytonas you cheap git! :lol:
gus

m25jambuster

Postby m25jambuster » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:15 pm

I know I have commented on this before based on experience. I have Sidi Courier Pro's which have proved totally waterproof and have lasted many years. As many know, last year I came of the SV through no fault of my own. As a result my injuries included a snapped achillies tendon, a broken ankle and broken heel - all on the same leg. Now I know that the courier pro is a chunky boot with strong strong leg protection. When dealing with the paramedic at the scene he stated that the boot saved me from a far worse injury and had I not been wearing any kind of boot then I would have probably lost my foot. This was confirmed by the A&E staff when at the hospital. I now have another pair of courier pro's!!! :D

gus

Postby gus » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:27 pm

Diito what m25 just said.Paramedics and consultants said the same when i snapped my ankle.The sidis held my ankle together long enough for me to run/hobble 50m to drag the cyclist outta harms way.Although i think adrenalin had the major part in that one. :shock:
gus

Return to “Boxerbanter”