route suggestions to Cornwall

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

tripe

route suggestions to Cornwall

Postby tripe » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:35 am

I am going down to Helford, on Cornish south coast in a couple of weeks from London

Any suggestions as to nice roads i should be using.
Thought maybe A30 from Salisbury down towards Bridport first but any suggestions for Exeter-ish and down?
Probably do Newquay to Bridgwater on the way back thank you Gromit,

Henry

woofboxer

Postby woofboxer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:44 pm

When you get near Exeter skirt around the city on the M5, take the A30 towards Okehampton then after about a mile pick up the B3212 for Mortonhampstead. This road takes you right across the middle of Dartmoor. A lot of the moorland bit is subject to 40mph limits (I dont think there are any cameras) but you wont mind as you will be taking in some fantastic scenery, unless of course its raining in which case you won't see a bloody thing. :D Also watch out for Kamikaze sheep. There are some nice tea and buns places in Princetown. This road brings you into the outskirts of Plymouth where you pick up the A38 across the Tamar Bridge to Liskeard then probably the A390 down to Truro. Don't eat too many pasties or you'll need a new shock absorber.
Black R1100S
Honda F6C
Black Saab 900 Turbo

iandunn1100ss

Postby iandunn1100ss » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:17 am

If you use the m5 in the exeter area look out for new spec maybe on or not nobody is saying.
ian
Bmw r1100s 02 frost blue,bmw r1100s 03 blue,Yamaha tmax500 03 silver
Honda fireblade rrx 98 orange and bronze,aprilia rs250 01 black and red,aprilia rsv milie 99 black and silver

Al

Postby Al » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:13 pm

Regarding the cameras at exeter, they are up and running. I know they cannot see a bike number plate but the area is also monitored by cameras on poles so I am not sure if they are linked. If you go via bridport head into west bay(2-3 miles)for chips,tea or ice cream or even all three. lots of roadworks in cornwall, Dobwalls and Indan Queens area and several cameras. It is a nice ride across dartmoor, several routes, the bit from princetown(second the advice about eateries in princetown) to tavistock into plymouth is ok but lots of sheep and grockles on w/ends (sheep every day not just w/ends. If you fancy meeting up pm me and we perhaps we can arange something, I am just north of exeter(j28 M5).

Al
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

rocksteady

Postby rocksteady » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:54 pm

I spent all my life in Cornwall moved to Reading 2 years ago from Penzance, the route I'd take is to go the Exeter - Okehampton - Bodmin moor A30 route to Truro then A39 (signposted Falmouth and Helston) then A394.

There is a new bypass being built west of Bodmin (at long, long last) which will slow you down a bit. Turning off to cross Bodmin moor and/or Dartmoor is fine (watch out for the sheep), their both lovely areas to tour round. But be warned the time you spend in the saddle can go through the roof so be prepared. Truro and it's environs get snarled up with commuters so avoid those times if you can.

You don't say how long your down there for but if you have the time can I make a suggestion, (rhetorical); choose a sunny day get up early, head for Penzance, then take the A3071 to St just, now take it easy and enjoy the road as you head to St Ives. The roads are not fast, but they are enjoyable with lovely scenery.

Enjoy your trip
Throwing acid is wrong, in some peoples eyes.

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:22 am

I grew up between Wadebridge and Padstow. It depends on how fast you want to cover the ground, but once you're West of Bodmin you're pretty much stuck with the A30. The run across Dartmoor is fantastic, but then you can get bogged down on the A38, so be patient. Oh, and for pity's sake keep a look out for sheep on the moor - they tend to doss on the road, always just the far side of a blind bend or summit.

Two North Coast routes to consider are the old A30 between Exeter and Launceston - all the traffic is on the dual carriageway so it's faster than you'd think, then across Bodmin Moor via Davidstow, Camelford, (fast) then either Wadebridge, St Columb etc, or B3266 down to Bodmin.

And the Holiday Route from Okehampton (A3079, 3072) is good - the trippers tend just to plod and there's not much traffic otherwise. And the A39 down the N coast is fast if you catch it right.

The other secton worth a look would be A303 past Wincanton, then pick up A372 / 378 across to M5 J25. Haven't done it for a while, but I recall it being fastish and scenic.

Have fun,

James

tripe

Postby tripe » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 am

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

It isn't a long trip. 19th down to visit the oyster beds at Helford, back via Newquay on the Wednesday. Riding down with a friend who has not done much longish distance before so will be taking it easy.

With the wealth of routes suggested I hope to take the A30 from Salisbury down towards Bridport/Lyme Regis and then Exeter- Dartmoor and on through the South and coming back on Wednesday take the A39 up to Bridgwater and then straightline it back to London.

Looking forward to it

Henry

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:06 pm

Have a good trip Henry.
I lived in Truro for over 7 years and went all over Cornwall. It was before I started biking though so I can't recemmend any roads and I expect that there have been tons of changes anywway. Have fun!

Return to “Boxerbanter”