Visor misting, any ideas?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

cc mac

Visor misting, any ideas?

Postby cc mac » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi folks, I have just removed the peeling anti mist layer from my Sportintegral visor. It was peeling almost from new so there are no scratches on the visor. I want to coat it with something and use it as a spare. Has anyone heard of Maui Wax and have they used it. I saw a guy selling some at a bike show once but didn't buy any, I might try it if I can locate some. Any other suggestions on the subject?
Watching you Focker!

Adski

Postby Adski » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:24 pm

Yep - learn to slow down/stop your breathing at traffic lights, find the "sweet spot" on your visor so you get enough airflow, but no rain/wind in the face and...always have all the vents open, at least until you get on a motorway.

...or buy a better helmet. :P
Mr Sensible.

cc mac

Postby cc mac » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:44 pm

Which helmets are best for not misting up in bad weather?
Watching you Focker!

wicker

Postby wicker » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:00 pm

Shoei with Pinlock or BMW System 5 with double glazed insert are a sure fire way to beat misting. Been riding all winter and no visor misting at all with eithe rof the above. Fitting the anti fog insert is a simple case of clipping it onto two wee pegs on the inside of the visor.

A cheaper options is a Fog City insert which can be fitted (stuck) inside most helmet visors (check with the dealer as there are different versions e.g for Arai) & clear, coloured / tinted ones. Can be a bit tricky to get the Fog City properly installed as the adhesive does not like being repeatedly unattached if you get the alignment wrong. Fog City is meant to be permanent once installed but they can be removed with a bit of gentle heat from a hairdryer.

I have used all of the above over the years and they are all similar being a plastic laminate. You need to be careful when cleaning as they do scratch quiet easily especially Fog City. All work well although the Shoei and BMW versions are probably the best & easiest to use.

iandunn1100ss

Postby iandunn1100ss » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:12 pm

i have used the fogcity for a few years with good results in both arai and schberth s1 as the anti fog visor stopped doing its job well enough. yes clean gently and they are ok.
ian
Bmw r1100s 02 frost blue,bmw r1100s 03 blue,Yamaha tmax500 03 silver
Honda fireblade rrx 98 orange and bronze,aprilia rs250 01 black and red,aprilia rsv milie 99 black and silver

Black Knight

Postby Black Knight » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:32 pm

Good Shark helmets don't fog up at all.

Got a Barros replica RSR recently (top model) for £160 delivered. They were £360!

Its excellent in every way, 3mil visor, 5 yr warranty, even came with multiple breath guards and GP style visor strips. Equal if not better than arai imo.

Got it from Portsmouth trade sales.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:50 pm

You can now fit a pinlock to any visor using the kit for around £25, kit includes template, drill bit and visor insert. as previously mentioned, highly recommended. I have a template and drill bit available foc if you like, (i bought the kit in error, thinking I was buying just a replacement insert)

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 pm

Use a product called 'RainX', available from Halfords etc. A quick wipe of the inside of the visor with this fluid on a tissue and Bob's your Uncle,.. fogging sorted and a lovely clear visor. I use it daily but you should get away with weekly application. Costs about £5 but should last you a year.

Geoff
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

iandunn1100ss

Postby iandunn1100ss » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:21 pm

used that rainx and don`t work for me ,maybe i am to much of a heavy breather!!!
ian
Bmw r1100s 02 frost blue,bmw r1100s 03 blue,Yamaha tmax500 03 silver
Honda fireblade rrx 98 orange and bronze,aprilia rs250 01 black and red,aprilia rsv milie 99 black and silver

BlueBoxer

Postby BlueBoxer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:40 pm

Pinlock. Works fine for me :D

Fogcity, works as well as pinlock, but can be easily replaced once the internal coating wears off, or it gets scratched / damaged. :oops:

Steve
FJR1300
R1100S

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Pinlock for me works great

rain x says dont use on plastic

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:51 pm

Inside:
Pinlock on my clear (but don't like the way it interferes with my peripheral vision, will remove it once summer comes).

Bob Heath on my dark visor - needs daily application but imo is the best of the lot.

Outside:
a good daily polish with Pledge. :)
non quod, sed quomodo

Al

Postby Al » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:51 pm

Before I had pinlock in my Shoei I used one of those neoprene nose guard thingies that velcro in the front of the helmet, worked well but I always wanted to scratch my nose after about 2 miles, very frustrating. as said earlier not breathing is the best option. :D

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

woofboxer

Postby woofboxer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:26 pm

The old boys used to reckon to rub the inside of your visor with a cut potato then polish it off. I tried it once and didn't have any problems with misting, trouble was the potato made such a mess on the visor I couldn't see where I was going anyway. Andy :D
Black R1100S
Honda F6C
Black Saab 900 Turbo

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:28 pm

Al wrote:Before I had pinlock in my Shoei I used one of those neoprene nose guard thingies that velcro in the front of the helmet, worked well but I always wanted to scratch my nose after about 2 miles, very frustrating. as said earlier not breathing is the best option. :D

Al.

I tried one of those, but I don't have enough room in the helmet for it and it actually prevented me from being able to breath!! :shock:
non quod, sed quomodo

Return to “Boxerbanter”