Which one today??

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dog Tyred

Which one today??

Postby Dog Tyred » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:13 pm

Strange question probably but here goes anyway. I have noticed that a lot of you lucky chaps seem to have multi bike garages and I recently found myself looking to add a RSV Factory to my current BCR. Unfortunately or fortunately, fate intervened and as a result I am still married :roll:

Anyway, it got me to thinking that if I did have another bike, especially something with a bit more performance or even just more comfortable than the BCR, would I ever choose to ride the BCR again?
I know that some of you have different types of bikes for different types of riding, say touring or a Sunday run out or even daily commuting, but if like me, your riding is limited to the odd Sunday blast and maybe a long weekend away once in a while, just how do you decide which bike to take out?

It was this quandary that sort of put me off buying the RSV...oh and the fact that I have a huge tax bill looming in January and my wife threatened to divorce me :wink:

Do any of you have bikes that you never ride but can't actually bear to be parted from?

I look forward to your thoughts.
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Ruffy

different bikes

Postby Ruffy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:29 pm

Hi Nu2,ive got a mate with 4 bikes and 1 garage and he can't ride them all at once and i used to have 3 many years ago and they all cost a lot to keep and maintain and tax and now iv'e just got the t-bird before i get the S in the spring and so my advice would be to stick with one for the winter and make your mind up next year as youve still got the wife!
ruffy

stoney

Postby stoney » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:52 pm

I've got the three which is still quite modest compared to some people I know. They all go in one garge which is a tight squeeze and I can't wait to move to a bigger house with at least a double garage.

I'm in the fortunate position of running my own business from home and this allows me to be fairly flexible with my time. Whenever things are quirt I go out for a spin and sometimes I just reward myself with a spin out when I've had a busy spell.

When I say fortunate I really mean it. I am married with two children under three years old and if it wasn't for flexible time during the week I reckon I'd be lucky to get out one Saturday in every three or four. As it is I'm out every week all year round, at least once - sometimes every day and do about 1000-1500 miles of leisure biking every month.

My wife also rides and so I quite often have two out at once - sometimes three if I lend oen to my bro-in-law.

So, what do I choose.

The DRZ is for really grubby days but mainly for greenlaning. I bought it as I was fed up of chipping the wheels on my GS, even thoughI never dropped it off-road (made up for it on the DRZ since mind). Its actually a better road bike than it is off-road despite its looks. The engine is so smooth adn because is so light and flickable it can keep up with pretty much anything on the really tight twisty stuff. Its cheap to buy and run.

The GS I bought new last March ('05) and is a great bike. my wife now rides this and I think it'll be a great bike to her IAM on in the spring - dead stable, easy to ride and manouvre and plenty of grunt for overtaking. That and the high-levels of comfort and visibilty make it such an easy bike to use for day-in-day-out riding. I'll use this as my main road bike through the winter and for any touring I may do (probably UK or germany/Nurburgring based on previous rides). Also due to the severe lack of comfort for the pillion on the S its also the bike I use when me and the missus go two-upping anywhere.

The R1200s is my latest purchase and the idea is that its my bike for sunny days out and quick solo riding plus the odd track day. The problem is I love riding it and I'm using nearly every day at the minute - certainly last week. I'm slowly getting used to it and actually find it really comfortable, easy to ride and well quick enough. Its still taking a bit of time to be confident in the tyres (M1s) as I've never had this type of bike before. I have no intention of EVER taking a pillion on it and the rear pegs are already off and the seat cowl goes on next week!

If I could have a fourth bike....it'd probably be a dedicated track-day bike..I like my twins proably an SP2.

If I could have fifth...dare I say it...a fatboy :oops:

I have noticed that quite a few people on this site have more than one bike nad it often suprises me how similar some of them are to their other bikes - but I guess thats the beauty of biking - each to their own!
Andy

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:53 pm

I've got 5 bikes... :P

'04 BCR
'92 MZ ETZ301 (my Winter Super-Speedy Special - the fastest thing across London)
'94 MZ ETZ125 (in bits)
'75 MZ TS250 4-speed
'77 MZ TS250/1 Supa5 in lots & lotsa bits

winger

Postby winger » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:58 pm

Hmmm some question,bit like asking why people climb Everest,and i guess the only real answer is,because they can.

A lot also depends on one lifestyle and were you are on it,both Lloyd and i are mortgage free nowhere days which is a huge monkey of the back!!.

I knew nearly 7 years ago when i bought my S it would be a long termer,i use it in the Uk,rideing to Le-Mans,Assen,Ireland,but never futher south than that,the reason being i use my Tiger for long distance stuff,Southern Spain,Portugal,Italy,blimey it's been up on the Polish boarder 3 times,it's just a billion light years better than the S for long distance stuff.

I've a Gilera 180 scooter that occassionally see's the light of day for going to work when i'm not doing silly hours,an XT 600 supermoto thingy which will be chucked into the back of a van for next years TT.

While rideing to the German GP and Bruno WSB this year,realised what i'm missing is a bike that runs at warp speed!!!,haveing took a kicking from an AMG,and hence why i'm prowling around looking for a K1200s,relatively speaking i'm not well off,i've an understanding wife who shares my passion for bikes and travel, and on the basis of i'm not going to live forever, do it while we can.

Options with a S,big traillie or any R1/Gixxer/ZX10!!!,haveing ridden an Aprillia Factory i had visions of a super fast S,instead got a V twin that needed to be ridden like a Yamaha power valve,might ring some peoples bells but certainly not mine.

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:54 pm

Gromit wrote:I've got 5 bikes... :P

'04 BCR
'92 MZ ETZ301 (my Winter Super-Speedy Special - the fastest thing across London)
'94 MZ ETZ125 (in bits)
'75 MZ TS250 4-speed
'77 MZ TS250/1 Supa5 in lots & lotsa bits

Yeah....but how do you decide which one to ride :laughing8:
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Nu2beemers wrote:
Yeah....but how do you decide which one to ride :laughing8:

Easy.... ;)

Depends how deep my sense of irony runs on that particular day. :P

woofboxer

Postby woofboxer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:07 pm

I did get up to 3 bikes and two cars once, I got brassed off with all the bills - every month something needed taxing, insuring or MoT'ing! These days I tend to collect bicycles instead - the running costs are more acceptable.

Bikwise I've just got the R1100S at the moment. Trouble is you can always come up with a reason to justify buying another.....

It does seem a shame to use the S through the winter though, as it's not in bad nick. I might look out for a decent MZ - but only one - I don't want to end up like Gromit!
Black R1100S
Honda F6C
Black Saab 900 Turbo

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:11 pm

woofboxer wrote: I might look out for a decent MZ - but only one - I don't want to end up like Gromit!

I've only got one decent one!! :D

Truth be told, they're loads of fun. As I said, round London traffic the ETZ's brilliant - it's quicker across Town than the S by a long shot - tiny turning circle, excellent handling and seriously good brakes (the front Grimeca's a bit too good). Plus you get the priceless*, added bonus of the 2-stroke fumes.

*Well...5 quid a litre ;)

Dickypalm

Postby Dickypalm » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:12 pm

Just buy a house with a double garage, problem solved.

If the wife complains ask her how many pairs of shoes she has?

When she says you can only ride one at a time, tell her she only has one pair of feet! LOL

I cant bear to part with any of my bikes, the RD350 I have owned for 27 years and the VFR 20years.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dickypalm

Richard
Honda VFR750FG 1986
Honda VFR750FG 1989
Honda RC30
Honda RC30 Tony Scott race bike
Honda SP2
AHAMAY RD350A 1974
AHAMAY RD400 Earlystock Race Bike

I Only Drink To Make Other People More Interesting

woofboxer

Postby woofboxer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:26 pm

Yeh I've had three MZs - great bikes.

The first was a TS250/1, the first time I ever bought a brand new bike as well.

Then a TS125 that I bought for £25 - that did me for a couple of years. Luckily I lived at the top of a hill which is handy for bump starting!

Last was another TS250/1 which was superceded by a K75S my first BMW.

I've never had one of the newer MZ 2 strokes with the 12v electrics, I should think they're a lot better for starting etc.

Ah the smell of 2 stroke - and the sound of piston slap, perhaps I will look out for one!
Black R1100S

Honda F6C

Black Saab 900 Turbo

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:45 pm

I remember the days when you could buy a "Rider Policy" and have one insurance policy for all bikes. Currently my 2 x f 650's are insured in Spain, where you do not get (or so they tell me) NCD for bikes... so they are 568 Euros each!!!!! The 1100S is insured for the UK although currently in Spain too. Stuart
.......~ ~
....-(@ @)-
ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains. (Jeremiah Johnson)

R1100S 2003. The Fast Colour. G650 Xchallenge 2008. F650CS Black 2003 SWMBO

Dickypalm

Postby Dickypalm » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:52 pm

I have a semi rider policy with carol nash, The BM added only £60 per year.
Honda VFR750FG 1986

Honda VFR750FG 1989

Honda RC30

Honda RC30 Tony Scott race bike

Honda SP2

AHAMAY RD350A 1974

AHAMAY RD400 Earlystock Race Bike

I Only Drink To Make Other People More Interesting

winger

Postby winger » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:56 pm

The main reason people sell bikes,despite what they say!! is the boredom factor,there ain't many like Jason that can wear e'm out!,hence why i plumped for two opposites,when i've been away on the road for two weeks holiday and go to ride my S,dear lord what culture shock,i wonder what the hell ever made me buy it,but a couple of days after that i'm OK,and when getting back on the Tiger seems like rideing a jelly!! even with Ohlins set like concrete!!

The longest i'd had a bike was 5 years,have had the S 7 years january and the Tiger 6 next may,the XT and the scooter don't count,hence why i'm due a new'un!.

With a car in the garage thats done 4,000 miles in the last 3 years in my wifes name!!,she use something else,i don't get too many complaints.

POB

Postby POB » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:58 pm

2002 R1100SS
1997 F650 (don't like it much)
1989 NX650 Dommie - desert bike
C90, 'cos you have to!

Some of my other bikes are here:
http://www.lewismiller.info/photos/bikes/

:D :D :D

Return to “Boxerbanter”