Your other interests...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Harry

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:25 pm

quicksilver wrote:Hi Harry... see you at lyden on sunday weather permiting... What bike will you be running ..colour and number...

Cheers Andy

small red awning. yellow F1 no 40 outfit. see you there!

Al

Postby Al » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:28 pm

Having also been in the RAF for 23 years I also got to try several different sporting activities, but mainly Sailing both Offshore and Dinghyand I even let you lovely taxpayers send to some very nice places to get wet.
I have marshaled at race meetings for 18 years at most of the cicuits in the UK and the RAF even paid me to do it for a few years. We now do a fair bit of walking and travelling about in the motorhome and taking 100 lbs of Golden Retriever to places where he can get wet.
Talking of wet I took the bike in for its MOT today in Plymouth(Ocean) as it is free if you get bike from them, at 05:55 I was confronted by standing water with leaves floating on top howling winds and with two brand new tyres fitted. I had a serious discussion with myself over the next 60 miles to work wether it was really worth it just to get a free MOT, answers on a postcard please.

Roll on summer, Al
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:08 pm

Well ... I collect ants .... dead ants that is.

You guys might think that's a silly thing to do. but I've collected 584.338 ants 'till now and I'm still amazed by the variety of these little buggers. It's almost like each and every one of them has a character of its own. I could talk for hours about ants.

It all started after seeing the Pixar movie 'Ants' that really changed my perspective (litteraly) when I brought my face to the ground to discover a world of .... ants!

Big advantage is ofcourse, my collection doesn't take much space. Some of them however are put in a frame behind glass and decorate the walls of the living room. It's nice to see that my 3 year old also gets interested.

HJ

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:25 pm

Wot, no golfers :lol:
Did a bit of 4 wheel motorsport for 10 yrs but eventually got sense (too expensive/too much time needed)
Then did a bit of motorsport marshalling, (live fire training was interesting :shock: )
Then did a bit of cycling for a few years but old m/cycle injuries intervened.........which means i'm nab no hobbies at the moment :)

Nigel B

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:05 pm

When I'm not working, I'm usually found doing odd jobs around the house/garden in an effort to gain enough brownie points for the next trixter weekend :wink: but I have recently taken up the exciting winter sport of sofa pressing :(

I also have taken up shouting obscenities at the tv :x

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:36 am

I play guitar really badly. I'm trying to expand my repertoire by learning to play the ukulele badly too.

I also enjoy a bit of theraputic woodworking, or more precisely, I enjoy buying powertools which might come in handy for future woodworking projects. My last project was a circular mirror frame which I fashioned using my trusty router and a series of jigs I made out of bits of MDF to route out the circles and some decorative effects.

I also like to do a bit of web design, as you can see :wink: I'll be starting work on the next generation facelift of this place probably around Chrimbo.

Oh, and I also run a private taxi service, ferrying my kids to various and sundry clubs/friends etc...

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:43 am

When in The RAF, lots of Sports but main one ended up being Golf. Played for RAF Support Command and RAF Signals vs Army Sigs for a short time.
All motorsports (watching). Used to race in NKRA Karting Championships, in 100cc piston port then 125cc Rotax max.

Usual wine and food thing, also love music and have a reasonable HIFi but nowt special. These days, play snooker and Pool, love local walking in the Dales etc. Worst thing I do is spend time on this bloody pc and buying stuff online!
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

minivin

Postby minivin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:57 am

Well, some of you know about my Vincent one-lunger affair with having a Vincent Comet in touring trim and a Egli-Comet racer.

Started the Comet when I was 17 by collecting a pair of crankcases, and then over two years collecting the parts to build a complete bike, piccie at Montlhery:

It then went through a stage of bits failing and I took it off the road three years ago and have been restoring it ever since to even better condition than I originally had it in:

The Egli once again was a two year effort with a frame, crankcases, gearbox, tank and seat unit purchased, and then the rest purchased or made myself over that time, it's a 1952 Vincent Comet 499cc engine, with Australian TPV racing crankshaft (8,000rpm instead of 5,000rpm standard), TPV big bore head, TPV racing cam shaft (0.425" lift compared to 0.335" on Vincent racing mkII cam), Norton gearbox with Manx Norton close ratio cluster, Grimeca Front double-TLS brake, Ceriani 34mm front forks, replica Vincent Black Lightning rearsets (made myself), fibreglass tank and seat unit, Honda CB250RS silencer (actually, it don't silencer AT ALL!) and a few other bits.

Presently done two 1/4 mile sprints and Wiscombe Park hillclimb:

No spare time at the moment to do any racing due to this thing:

Brought two years ago next month as a heap that had been de-mobbed from the REME after they had hydro-locked the engine (tw@ts), totally stripped it down to a bare chassis and rebuilt it all the way back up again with nearly all parts powder coated (except bits like hinges et cetera), loads of stainless steel fasteners and dollops of grease. Got it back on the road in March and have been modifying it ever since.

First item to loose was the 2.5NAD that I had fitted to get it on the road, a Rover SD1 3.5V8 was substituted and mated upto a converted Defender/Sherpa van LT77 Gearbox that was mated to a Series Transfer case to give me the stronger gearbox and a 5th gear overdrive:

A few other bits that have been done are the fitting of 8" spot lamps, Power Assisted Steering, Defender Seat from teh drivers side (I like my comfort), NATO hitches both front and back, refitting some of the original Army radio kit on the outside (ATU's et cetera) and a few other bits

Might even get a mention of my truck in Land Rover Monthly next month fingers crossed :D

Other than that, buying Sykes Pickavant tools off Ebay (can't stand most modern tool quality), restoring and repairing Vincent's for people, re-wiring motorbikes for people, Local section work for the Motocycle Action Group, oh and a job during the day as well :)

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:35 pm

Thanks to whoever started this post,.. for reminding me that I really must get a life. Thought of a million things that I 'used' to do, .. but everything now is Bike Related, .. even down to dodging the Baliffs. I'll start making a new list of stuff to try, .. and then check with my body to see if it'll work.
Geoff
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:53 am

Hi Rob,

Nice cat flap in the Landy of yours

Cheers,

Paul :wink: (not quite so rufty-tufty Freelander :oops: owner)
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:07 pm

Interesting set of replies guys, and nothing I can compete with. My main interest away from Bikes is the gentlemanly sport of Rugby Union. Sad to say, my middle-aged knees don't allow me to play now, so I coach kids instead. This seems to take up all weekend, every weekend from September to May.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:32 pm

A lot of crabs/ex crabs in here.

Classic cars, learning guitar, prog rock, chasing skirt, Guinness, anything legal ending in 'ing'. That's it for this ex crab.

HJ. Ants? ANTS? You need to get out more.

minivin

Postby minivin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:18 am

Paul wrote:Hi Rob,

Nice cat flap in the Landy of yours

Cheers,

Paul :wink: (not quite so rufty-tufty Freelander :oops: owner)

Well they do say an old Land Rover has a certain amount of pussy appeal :D

Nothing wrong with Freelanders, very capable off road and I know of two that have been doing 4x4 rallying and have made other trucks look quite silly :wink:

gus

Postby gus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:58 pm

Well i,ll start in the order of importance,i think.
Nookie
Booze
camping and outdoor pursuits with the missus(ie nookie outdoors) :wink:
Camping and outdoor pursuits with my friends(ie smoking dope,drinking JD and eating magic mushrooms whilst listening to pyschadelia.No nookie!I think. :shock: )
Do a bit of trial riding with my brotherinlaw
build mad motorbikes(notice how far down the list this is?Must do better)
mountain biking to keep fit and hurt myself on regular occasions.
gus
ps i also have a healthy interest in the french student girls next door,if that counts.

winger

Postby winger » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:32 pm

The funniest thing of all some people will read that and think your jokeing!!!

Return to “Boxerbanter”